Fossils B/C

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Strawberri19 wrote:Hey, so I just had some questions and I'm wondering if anyone could answer them for me:

1) Are we allowed to highlight the addition book we're bringing to competition along with the binder? Are we allowed to annotate? What about highlighting?
2) Can I label the tabs, or is there like a word limit on the tabs?

Does anybody have any advice on how they organize the information in their additional book? Any recommendations would be great, thanks! :D
...Don't use field guide. You have no time. That is all. :P At this point (Nats is approaching), you should be memorizing most of the info.
coprolite_dipstick
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by coprolite_dipstick »

Strawberri19 wrote: Does anybody have any advice on how they organize the information in their additional book? Any recommendations would be great, thanks! :D
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:...Don't use field guide. You have no time. That is all. :P At this point (Nats is approaching), you should be memorizing most of the info.
Definitely be able to memorize most of the info you think you'll need to know, but if it's absolutely necessary for you to use your book, have either you or your partner be in charge of the book and the other in charge of the binder. That way you don't need to worry as much about who's doing what.

Recommendation: Have a copy of the Fossils list in your binder and write all over it. Time periods, common names, anything you think you might have to know for the competition that you don't have in your brain already. For things that you don't know, make sure you have easy access to them, preferably near the front of your binder. I ended up color-coding mine and everything.. really, whatever works for you, as long as you can get to it quickly.
2016: CVMC/CV Invite/Mesa Robles/Reg/State
ExpD: 1/1/1/1/9
Foss: 3/1/8/4/1
Green Gen: 2/1/4/1/7
Met: 2/2/3/8/4
the dipstick is an intricate device used to measure the amount of rain in a rain gauge. it can also be used as a derogatory term for your meteorology partners
varunscs11
Division: Grad

Post by varunscs11 »

We just have these things called "life sheets" which literally have everything. Our school's had them for a really long time now but they are good. I just write all over them in pretty colors and it works really well
Liberal Arts and Science Academy 2015-2017
University of Pennsylvania 2021
MIT Rocks and Minerals 2018, Fossils 2019

varunscs11's Userpage
coprolite_dipstick

varunscs11 wrote:We just have these things called "life sheets" which literally have everything. Our school's had them for a really long time now but they are good. I just write all over them in pretty colors and it works really well
Honestly... I just tried to memorize my whole binder :lol:
the dipstick is an intricate device used to measure the amount of rain in a rain gauge. it can also be used as a derogatory term for your meteorology partners
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

coprolite_dipstick wrote:
varunscs11 wrote:We just have these things called "life sheets" which literally have everything. Our school's had them for a really long time now but they are good. I just write all over them in pretty colors and it works really well
:lol: Looks like I'm the only one not memorizing stuff.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
coprolite_dipstick

Unome wrote:
It's kind of hard to do the event otherwise... unless you have a partner that memorizes everything :mrgreen:
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Unome wrote:
It's kind of hard to do the event otherwise... unless you have a partner that memorizes everything :mrgreen:
Mostly I look it up; it's worked fine for me even in very long tests. I tend to memorize while making the binder rather than outside of it.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SOnerd »

I'm working on Dinos right now. I've been finding a lot of stuff about groups not explicitly mentioned on the list, such as theropods and sauropods. Since these groups are not mentioned on the official list, are they still something that I would need to put in my notes?
If so, what are some other groups like these (for dinos)?
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page
coprolite_dipstick

SOnerd wrote:I'm working on Dinos right now. I've been finding a lot of stuff about groups not explicitly mentioned on the list, such as theropods and sauropods. Since these groups are not mentioned on the official list, are they still something that I would need to put in my notes?
Technically it's not on the list, so you don't have to know it, but it's generally good to know some information about them just in case they ask. I've had experiences on both the state and regional tests where they asked questions about organisms that weren't explicitly mentioned on the official rules sheet. Honestly, it's good to have a general knowledge about everything — I'd recommend sticking some notes in the back of your binder just in case.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

SOnerd wrote:I'm working on Dinos right now. I've been finding a lot of stuff about groups not explicitly mentioned on the list, such as theropods and sauropods. Since these groups are not mentioned on the official list, are they still something that I would need to put in my notes?
Technically it's not on the list, so you don't have to know it, but it's generally good to know some information about them just in case they ask. I've had experiences on both the state and regional tests where they asked questions about organisms that weren't explicitly mentioned on the official rules sheet. Honestly, it's good to have a general knowledge about everything — I'd recommend sticking some notes in the back of your binder just in case.
A bunch of tests ask about ferns and stromatolites (not explicitly mentioned).

Return to “2015 Study Events”