UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

coprolite_dipstick wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: Haha, there was one station about glossopteris, and then the ES was just like "pencils down!"
Maybe the ES should become an extinct fossil.

Oops, how rude of me.

Apologies.
You dipstick! :P :lol: How can you be a coprolite dipstick? Coprolites are kind of, you know, solid. Anyway, maybe I should just blame those geologic formations. Time to study those (for next year ;) ).
coprolite_dipstick wrote:Dipsticks are solid, but they're dipped into liquids :lol:
I guess dipsticks can be made out of coprolites? I need to think this through...
Even you're confused lol!
Making time paradoxes since April of 2015.

Also, who would want to chisel a coprolite into a dipstick? That'd be a horrible job.
cd wrote:Geologic formations are the schist (overused geology joke)
Not TOO weathered. :P

Joke from States:
The chemist goes into the water to study the composition of seawater. The physicist goes into the water to study the waves. The scientist makes an observation: The chemist and the physicist are soluble in water.

Explaining a positive feedback loop:
Suppose an Indian chief wants to start a new tribe. He needs to know whether or not to gather sticks. He calls the national weather service, and they say it's going to be a cold winter, so the chief tells the Native Americans to get more logs. The chief calls again, and the weather service says "It's going to be an extremely cold winter." Next, the Native Americans start gathering as much wood as they can find. The chief calls yet again, and the weather service says "It's going to be the coldest winter on record!" In response to this, the Native Americans start gathering wood like crazy. The chief calls once again just to confirm, and asks "How do you know it's going to be such a cold winter?" to which the weather service replies "Because the Indians are gathering so much wood. They must know how cold it's going to be." :lol:
Last edited by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F on April 27th, 2015, 4:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
coprolite_dipstick
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by coprolite_dipstick »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: Haha, there was one station about glossopteris, and then the ES was just like "pencils down!"
Maybe the ES should become an extinct fossil.

Oops, how rude of me.

Apologies.
You dipstick! :P :lol: How can you be a coprolite dipstick? Coprolites are kind of, you know, solid.
Dipsticks are solid, but they're dipped into liquids :lol:
I guess dipsticks can be made out of coprolites? I need to think this through...

Geologic formations are the schist (overused geology joke)
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote:Also, who would want to chisel a coprolite into a dipstick? That'd be a horrible job.
Whoa, whoa, whoa... no need to bash people and their hobbies! :o

No jokes from states for me, unless you count that "fight song" the school had against their gym wall... but! I got a Fun Dip™ so I got to go around showing people my dipstick. The sad life...
2016: CVMC/CV Invite/Mesa Robles/Reg/State
ExpD: 1/1/1/1/9
Foss: 3/1/8/4/1
Green Gen: 2/1/4/1/7
Met: 2/2/3/8/4
the dipstick is an intricate device used to measure the amount of rain in a rain gauge. it can also be used as a derogatory term for your meteorology partners
aditi

Post by aditi »

o:
It's been scientifically proven that people who have more birthdays live longer... ;)
Scientists say that the world is made of protons, neutrons and electrons. They forgot to mention morons. :lol:

Code: Select all

[list][list=][*][img][url][album][best=][profile][rules][score][test][userpage][wiki]strange[/wiki][/userpage][/test][/score][/rules][/profile][/best][/album][/url][/img][/list][/list]
coprolite_dipstick

[aditi] wrote:o:
O:
the dipstick is an intricate device used to measure the amount of rain in a rain gauge. it can also be used as a derogatory term for your meteorology partners
schist99centz

Post by schist99centz »

Does anybody know where I can information on modes of preservation and how to tell which mode of preservation is which? Thanks!
coprolite_dipstick

schist99centz wrote:Does anybody know where I can information on modes of preservation and how to tell which mode of preservation is which? Thanks!
This is the resource I used most: http://petrifiedwoodmuseum.org/Fossiltypes.htm

There was also a packet I had, but I can't find the link for it, sorry.
TheYellowFlash

Post by TheYellowFlash »

schist99centz wrote:Does anybody know where I can information on modes of preservation and how to tell which mode of preservation is which? Thanks!
This is the resource I used most: http://petrifiedwoodmuseum.org/Fossiltypes.htm

There was also a packet I had, but I can't find the link for it, sorry.
Thx this was very helpful.
JoJoKeKe
State: ID

Post by JoJoKeKe »

I, too, have been using the Petrified Wood Museum website.

I'm competing at the national competition and was wondering if any of you knew how to distinguish the difference between carbonization and a compression.

Thank you! :)

--------------------------

(If any of you have good study resources, it would be great if you could share them with me!)
Tournaments (2016): State / Nationals
Fossils: 3 / 8
Disease: 7 / NA
Green Gen: NA / 37
Picture This: 1 / 17
Invasives: 1 / 24

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks - 2
Microbe 2
Ecology 3
Optics 4
Invasives: 1

Events 2019: Herpetology, Fossils, Dynamic Planet, Fermi Questions
varunscs11
Division: Grad

Post by varunscs11 »

Yeah I have trouble with modes of preservation too. But carbonizations are usually much darker (black) due to the presence of carbon. I don't think you need to worry that much about modes of preservation because old nationals tests have very little to no modes of preservation. The 2004 test has some modes of preservation like 5 questions while the 2009, 2010, 2011 nationals tests have 0-3 questions.
Liberal Arts and Science Academy 2015-2017
University of Pennsylvania 2021
MIT Rocks and Minerals 2018, Fossils 2019

varunscs11's Userpage
JoJoKeKe
State: ID

Post by JoJoKeKe »

Thanks for the information.

Can you tell me what typically is on the national test since you seem pretty knowledgeable on the topic?
Tournaments (2016): State / Nationals
Fossils: 3 / 8
Disease: 7 / NA
Green Gen: NA / 37
Picture This: 1 / 17
Invasives: 1 / 24

Idaho State (2017):
Rocks - 2
Microbe 2
Ecology 3
Optics 4
Invasives: 1