Fossils B/C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Fossils B/C

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Fossils B/C

Post by bernard »

These users thanked the author bernard for the post:
Fyren (February 15th, 2021, 9:17 pm)
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
GoofyFoofer
State: OH

Post by GoofyFoofer »

Well, I guess they've decided they're not just adding a few changes to the final list... :(
Smith Middle School
Dayton, OH
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

bernard wrote:The 2015 Official Fossil List is up!
FINALLY! :P
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
ceg7654
Division: C
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by ceg7654 »

So there's no guide like there is for Rocks and Minerals and Ento right? Darn.

Anyone know any good starting websites?
2016 Events: Invasive Species, Fossils, Write It Do It

#TehEntoCult
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

ceg7654 wrote:So there's no guide like there is for Rocks and Minerals and Ento right? Darn.

Recommended resources in the rules are the Smithsonian Fossil Handbook and Fossils CD.
Last edited by bernard on September 13th, 2014, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author bernard for the post:
Fyren (February 15th, 2021, 9:18 pm)
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
SOnerd
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SOnerd »

bernard wrote:
ceg7654 wrote:So there's no guide like there is for Rocks and Minerals and Ento right? Darn.

Recommended resources in the rules are the Smithsonian Fossil Handbook and Fossils CD.
Hey Guys!!
I'm starting Fossils this year after a year of ento, and I was wondering if you are allowed to bring a guide in to the test (I think so..?), and if so, what guide is the best to use?
Also, what are your recommendations for binder size? I have like a 1.5 and a 2 inch..
Lastly, have you used any kind of dividers/similar system of binder organization?
Ento is Lyfe. <3 Ento. <3 Bugs. <3 Insects.
I didn't choose the Bug Lyfe, the Bug Lyfe chose me.

Live and die for Teh Insectz.
Ento List Page

"Insects won't inherit the earth- they own it now." -Thomas Eisner, Entomologist

"No one can truly be called an entomologist , sir; the subject is too vast for any single human intelligence to grasp". -OW Holmes

2015 National Ento Bronze Medalist
2018 National Herpetology Bronze Medalist
2019 Herpetology National Champion

User Page
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Kokonilly »

SOnerd wrote:
bernard wrote:

Hey Guys!!
I'm starting Fossils this year after a year of ento, and I was wondering if you are allowed to bring a guide in to the test (I think so..?), and if so, what guide is the best to use?
Also, what are your recommendations for binder size? I have like a 1.5 and a 2 inch..
Lastly, have you used any kind of dividers/similar system of binder organization?
DIsclaimer: I did Fossils three years ago and graduated from high school two years ago, so my memory might not be quite up to snuff.

Personally, my recommendation is that you not need a guide at all. Your binder and your knowledge should be the two most useful things; guides can be useful, though, and if I recall correctly I believe we used the Smithsonian guide. I recommend as large a binder as possible -- again, you want this to be the reference you use, so make it comprehensive but well-organized. I devoted a not-so-small part of my life to making the Fossils binder, and we used one page per specimen, with a sort of appendix at the back with other pertinent information.
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

ceg7654 wrote:Anyone know any good starting websites?
Here's one that I think is decent (or at least from the small amount of it that I've read): http://petrifiedwoodmuseum.org/

Edit: I've been looking at this site a bit more, and if you click the Sci Oly tab on the side of the page, there are some old tests that look pretty good.
Last edited by John Richardsim on September 7th, 2014, 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paleofreakazoid

Post by Paleofreakazoid »

They FINALLY updated the taxonomy! :D

Also lol at the fact that Mucrospirefer's last r is still not italicized :lol:
Winston Churchill Middle School, class of 2011
Mira Loma High School, class of 2015

Return to “2015 Study Events”