Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by John Richardsim »

embokim wrote:What are Semi-Permanent pressure cells and WHAT IS INSOLATION
Insolation - this is very important to know, seeing how it will come up in every topic of this event. Insolation is an abbreviation for incoming solar radiation (INcoming SOLar radiATION). As I said, it's very common in meteorology, sometimes common enough to the point where it is sometimes not defined enough.

Semi-permanent pressure cells - areas of low/high pressure patterns that vary in position and strength (sometimes disappearing altogether) depending on the time of the year. For example, the Aleutian Low covers much of the north Pacific Ocean in January. However, by the time July rolls around, it has been replaced by the Hawaiian High as the prevailing pressure pattern in the north Pacific. Semi-permanent pressure cells are important to local climates because they describe the most common pressure systems that are expected to occur in an area at a point in time, which can indicate the most likely weather patterns (e.g., if an area is under a semi-permanent cell of high pressure in the winter, you would expect the area to usually experience conditions associated with high pressure systems more than those associated with low pressure systems).
Pelagic Trilobyte
Been thanked: 0

Post by Pelagic Trilobyte »

awesome90220 wrote:Under the letter D, it includes the effects of longitude on climate. How does that work? I mean, it seems like it has no effect.
Latitude has a great effect on the weather as it determines how much light hits the areas (a lot at the equator and a little at the poles.
Pelagic Trilobyte

Post by Pelagic Trilobyte »

embokim wrote:thanks! and by the way what are feedback systems?
A feedback system is a cycle that repeatedly occurs, constantly changing specific factors which affect the cycle.
slytherin
Division: B
State: KS

Post by slytherin »

1st at Regionals! :D
Have you guys had any competitions recently? How did they go?
State:
Anatomy: 2nd
Meteorology: 2nd
Simple Machines: 2nd
Solar System: 2nd
Notice a pattern :lol:
meteorology125
Division: C
State: OH

Post by meteorology125 »

slytherin wrote:1st at Regionals! :D
I've been to five invitationals this year. For Meteorology, I got 3 1sts, 1 2nd, and 1 3rd. Our regionals hasn't happened yet.
2015 Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Crave the Wave, Entomology, Meteorology, Picture This, Road Scholar, and Simple Machines
daycd

Post by daycd »

awesome90220 wrote:May I be the first to start the new meteorology rule sheet contradiction by quoting the rule sheet: "Topics may include, but ARE limited to:" Chalker, is this a typo, or saying that tests shouldn't include anything not on the rule sheet, such as previous ice ages and things under the topic of everyday weather that don't go with climate
  • slytherin thinks: "I'm pretty sure that yes, tests shouldn't include anything not the rule sheet"

Milankovitch1 thinks: "I believe it is a typo and that it means to say that "Topics may include, but are NOT limited to:"

Chalker thinks: "I believe the intention IS to limit questions to the listed topics"
Following up on this line of thinking. At regionals, and now State, there have been weather topics on the exam (in WI). Is this because the test writers did not follow the rules? Or is a general knowledge of weather required for this years event too.

I guess the real question is how are the test writers in Nebraska interpreting the rules for this event?
Milankovitch1

Post by Milankovitch1 »

Regarding Meteorology rules sheet. I was reminded that the wiki in not a place for rules interpretation. With that being said, I did submit the question to Scioly and did receive a reply. If you want to PM me, I will share their reply. Other than that, I will steer clear of rules discussions on the wiki.
Play Hard - Have Fun
Milankovitch1

Post by Milankovitch1 »

meteorology125 wrote:
slytherin wrote:1st at Regionals! :D
I've been to five invitationals this year. For Meteorology, I got 3 1sts, 1 2nd, and 1 3rd. Our regionals hasn't happened yet.
That's a great year! Good luck at your regional
Play Hard - Have Fun
Fibonacci924
State: MN

Post by Fibonacci924 »

As of last Saturday, I'm done with Meteorology forever. :cry: The Minnesota State test was an eleven station test with three minutes for each station. And it even wasn't all multiple choice!
"Truth is like poetry. And most people *butterfly* hate poetry."- Overheard in a Washington DC bar.

Always remember: P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney.

Two time member of the Eternal Order of the Assassinators
coprolite_dipstick
Division: B
State: CA

Post by coprolite_dipstick »

Fibonacci924 wrote:As of last Saturday, I'm done with Meteorology forever. :cry: The Minnesota State test was an eleven station test with three minutes for each station. And it even wasn't all multiple choice!
That sucks :cry: My state competition is on April 4th, I guess I'll see how things go then.
2016: CVMC/CV Invite/Mesa Robles/Reg/State
ExpD: 1/1/1/1/9
Foss: 3/1/8/4/1
Green Gen: 2/1/4/1/7
Met: 2/2/3/8/4
the dipstick is an intricate device used to measure the amount of rain in a rain gauge. it can also be used as a derogatory term for your meteorology partners

Return to “2015 Study Events”