slytherin
Division: B
State: KS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by slytherin »

coprolite_dipstick wrote:
Fibonacci924 wrote:As of last Saturday, I'm done with Meteorology forever. :cry: The Minnesota State test was an eleven station test with three minutes for each station. And it even wasn't all multiple choice!
That sucks :cry: My state competition is on April 4th, I guess I'll see how things go then.
Ya I agree that has to suck. My state is also on the 4th and I'm SUPER nervous. And just a question Fibonacci924, I was wondering what type of questions were on your test and also how they did Meteorology in stations.
State:
Anatomy: 2nd
Meteorology: 2nd
Simple Machines: 2nd
Solar System: 2nd
Notice a pattern :lol:
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

awesome90220 wrote:
meteorology125 wrote:
Milankovitch1 wrote:Why is it so hard to find information in regards to El Nino events outside of the So. Pacific? It's not like the Trade Winds are only reversing in the Pacific. Anyone have any thoughts or good links, please reply. Thanks
This website seems to have detailed information on the effects of el nino: http://www.knmi.nl/research/global_clim ... o/effects/. El nino is the warming of the eastern Pacific ocean, caused by the weakening of trade winds, but this has an effect on the climate globally.
Does anyone have a similar link for La Nina? "Opposite of el nino" is just not good enough for me.
Well, I'm not doing Meteorology, but I believe it goes something like this:
El Niño is the weakening of the trade winds which reduces upwelling, making the average surface temperature warmer and global weather warmer also. It causes cooler and drier weather in Australia and Indonesia and warmer and moister weather in the Americas.

La Niña is the opposite. It is the strengthening of the trade winds which causes more upwelling near the Americas, making the average surface temperature colder and global weather colder also. It causes warmer and moister weather in Australia and Indonesia and cooler and drier weather in the Americas.

They were named after Peruvian fisherman.
slytherin

Post by slytherin »

Hey everyone. My State competition is on this Saturday (the 4th) and I was wondering if anyone had any last minute studying or tips for anything at all that may help. Anything would be appreciated.

Oh and I don't know if this is just my computer or what but everyone's "the"s are turning into "teh"s and its driving me crazy.. Is this just my computer or is something going on that I missed?? I'm really confused.
State:
Tacocat332
State: CA

Post by Tacocat332 »

Hey guys our state competition is coming up soon :D I was wondering what you guys are studying that I should read up on? Thanks :)
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

slytherin wrote:Hey everyone. My State competition is on this Saturday (teh 4th) and I was wondering if anyone had any last minute studying or tips for anything at all that may help. Anything would be appreciated.

Oh and I don't know if this is just my computer or what but everyone's "teh"s are turning into "teh"s and its driving me crazy.. Is this just my computer or is something going on that I missed?? I'm really confused.
Must be an admin prank.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
slytherin

Post by slytherin »

Unome wrote:
slytherin wrote:Hey everyone. My State competition is on this Saturday (teh 4th) and I was wondering if anyone had any last minute studying or tips for anything at all that may help. Anything would be appreciated.

Oh and I don't know if this is just my computer or what but everyone's "teh"s are turning into "teh"s and its driving me crazy.. Is this just my computer or is something going on that I missed?? I'm really confused.
Must be an admin prank.
Ok thanks!
State:
Milankovitch1
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by Milankovitch1 »

slytherin wrote:
Unome wrote:

Must be an admin prank.
Ok thanks!
Mine too, everything is very, very smallllllllll
Play Hard - Have Fun
coprolite_dipstick

Post by coprolite_dipstick »

I was wondering why all the 'the''s were turning into teh...
2016: CVMC/CV Invite/Mesa Robles/Reg/State
ExpD: 1/1/1/1/9
Foss: 3/1/8/4/1
Green Gen: 2/1/4/1/7
Met: 2/2/3/8/4
the dipstick is an intricate device used to measure the amount of rain in a rain gauge. it can also be used as a derogatory term for your meteorology partners
slytherin

Post by slytherin »

I had my State competition last Saturday, so I'm gonna let you all know what type of questions there were to (hopefully) help you guys.
1.) It was put into a PowerPoint, so know where everything is on your note sheet.
2.) There was a lot of, "this island is at 20 deg. North. Which of these 3 spots will have the most rain?" So be able to actually use whatever you learned.
3.) Make sure you have maps of the Koppen Climate Classification, as there were many "what KCC is this?"
And that's all I can remember right now but if any of you have any questions feel free to ask.
Oh and btw I got 2nd :(
State:
coprolite_dipstick

Post by coprolite_dipstick »

i had my state competition recently as well (about a week ago)...

mine was separated into two parts; one part was completely multiple choice with simple questions, e.g. what are contrails made of? why does seasonal co2 vary?

the second part was entirely short answer and that's where most of the points on the test were. it asked you to explain certain concepts such as the leeward and windward sides of a mountain, feedback loops... the same kinds of questions that you'd see on the question marathon forum for meteorology. there was a "snowball earth" model that you had to explain, as well as some other diagrams they wanted you to give an explanation to.

meteorology is a fairly easy event, good luck everyone :D

3rd in state this year
2016: CVMC/CV Invite/Mesa Robles/Reg/State
ExpD: 1/1/1/1/9
Foss: 3/1/8/4/1
Green Gen: 2/1/4/1/7
Met: 2/2/3/8/4
the dipstick is an intricate device used to measure the amount of rain in a rain gauge. it can also be used as a derogatory term for your meteorology partners

Return to “2015 Study Events”