Meteorology B

Milankovitch1
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by Milankovitch1 »

Just curious. I posted a Meteorology test to test exchange about a week ago, but I don't see it there. Wanted to make sure I didn't do something wrong during upload, but it appeared to work. Anyone have any ideas?
Play Hard - Have Fun
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Milankovitch1 wrote:Just curious. I posted a Meteorology test to test exchange about a week ago, but I don't see it there. Wanted to make sure I didn't do something wrong during upload, but it appeared to work. Anyone have any ideas?
I think they have to be approved (I'm not entirely sure, however).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Milankovitch1

Post by Milankovitch1 »

Unome wrote:
Milankovitch1 wrote:Just curious. I posted a Meteorology test to test exchange about a week ago, but I don't see it there. Wanted to make sure I didn't do something wrong during upload, but it appeared to work. Anyone have any ideas?
I think they have to be approved (I'm not entirely sure, however).
Thanks!
Play Hard - Have Fun
embokim
Division: C
State: NY

Post by embokim »

Does anyone have an idea of what to have on your cheat sheet? :?:
Happy to be here
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

embokim wrote:Does anyone have an idea of what to have on your cheat sheet? :?:
It's going to differ from participant to participant because different people can remember different things (your cheat sheet should contain things that you, yourself, can't remember from section 3. of the rules), but there are some references that nearly everyone can utilize. I'd have the EM spectrum, climate zones, figures depicting ocean currents (both wind-driven and otherwise), and other big things like that. Maybe ones on the different feedback loops, atmospheric composition, Milankovitch cycles, and the like...if there are terms you can't remember, you could always do a glossary section, and there may, still, be room for small but dense sections of notes on other topics (e.g. reasons for anthropogenic climate change) that don't lend themselves well to graphs or maps. There's plenty to put, I think!
embokim

Post by embokim »

thanks! and by the way what are feedback systems?
Happy to be here
meteorology125

Post by meteorology125 »

embokim wrote:Does anyone have an idea of what to have on your cheat sheet? :?:
I recommend having the full Koppen Classification on your cheat sheet. Almost every meteorology test I've taken this year has had Koppen on it.
2015 Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Crave the Wave, Entomology, Meteorology, Picture This, Road Scholar, and Simple Machines
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

embokim wrote:thanks! and by the way what are feedback systems?
Here's how I've described them:

Because Earth's climate system is very complex and interconnected, disturbances in one variable will cause a change in other variables, which in turn can have affects on other variables, and so on. This can occur in cycles called feedback loops, in which a disturbance in variable A will cause a change in variable B, which in turn will cause a change in variable A. These feedback loops can be classified as either positive or negative.

Positive feedback loops are self-supporting; a disturbance in variable A will produce more of variable B, which in turn will produce more of a disturbance in variable A, and so forth. There are several important positive feedback loops in climate change, such as water vapor feedback and sea ice-albedo feedback.

Negative feedback loops are self-regulating; a disturbance in variable A will produce more of variable B, which in turn will reduce the original disturbance in variable A.

Example: the water vapor feedback loop: If the atmosphere is warmed, the air will have a higher water vapor capacity and generally the air will have a water vapor content. Because water vapor is a greenhouse gas, it will trap infrared radiation emitted by the Earth, warming the atmosphere further, and restarting the cycle.
ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by ScienceOlympian »

I wish I was doing Meteorology again. Climate was the only one I didn't do :/
Everyday Weather was probably my favorite.

Well, good luck everyone <3
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
ScienceOlympian's Userpage
embokim

Post by embokim »

What are Semi-Permanent pressure cells and WHAT IS INSOLATION
Happy to be here

Return to “2015 Study Events”