Meteorology B

awesome90220
Division: B
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by awesome90220 »

May I be the first to start the new meteorology rule sheet contradiction by quoting the rule sheet: "Topics may include, but ARE limited to:" Chalker, is this a typo, or saying that tests shouldn't include anything not on the rule sheet, such as previous ice ages and things under the topic of everyday weather that don't go with climate?
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
slytherin
State: KS

Post by slytherin »

awesome90220 wrote:May I be the first to start the new meteorology rule sheet contradiction by quoting the rule sheet: "Topics may include, but ARE limited to:" Chalker, is this a typo, or saying that tests shouldn't include anything not on the rule sheet, such as previous ice ages and things under the topic of everyday weather that don't go with climate
I'm pretty sure that yes, tests shouldn't include anything not the rule sheet.
State:
Anatomy: 2nd
Meteorology: 2nd
Simple Machines: 2nd
Solar System: 2nd
Notice a pattern :lol:
Milankovitch1
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by Milankovitch1 »

Thanks for the link
meteorology125 wrote:
Milankovitch1 wrote:Why is it so hard to find information in regards to El Nino events outside of the So. Pacific? It's not like the Trade Winds are only reversing in the Pacific. Anyone have any thoughts or good links, please reply. Thanks
This website seems to have detailed information on the effects of el nino: http://www.knmi.nl/research/global_clim ... o/effects/. El nino is the warming of the eastern Pacific ocean, caused by the weakening of trade winds, but this has an effect on the climate globally.
Play Hard - Have Fun
awesome90220

Post by awesome90220 »

robotarmy567 wrote:
robotarmy567 wrote:Can someone please explain the public land survey system, it is confusing me so much :?
and also the daisy world model
To answer this question, the daisy world model is a simple hypothetical of earth in which Earth consists of just three types of surfaces: black or white daisies, and barren land. The black daisies have a low albedo, thus absorbing more energy, and the white daisies have a high albedo and reflect more energy. Barren lands have an albedo in the middle. This means that black daisies will warm the surrounding areas with its extra energy, and white daisies cool the surrounding areas as more energy is reflected. As a result, the hypothetical states that the black daisies grow in cooler climates and the white daisies grow in warmer climates, meaning that the daisies will always pull the temperature of the surrounding atmosphere back towards the mean temperature.
Milankovitch1

Post by Milankovitch1 »

slytherin wrote:
awesome90220 wrote:May I be the first to start the new meteorology rule sheet contradiction by quoting the rule sheet: "Topics may include, but ARE limited to:" Chalker, is this a typo, or saying that tests shouldn't include anything not on the rule sheet, such as previous ice ages and things under the topic of everyday weather that don't go with climate
I believe it is a typo and that it means to say that "Topics may include, but are NOT limited to:........" Going to Westlake Invite (Ohio) on Saturday. Let you know how it goes.
Play Hard - Have Fun
chalker

Post by chalker »

Milankovitch1 wrote:
slytherin wrote:
I believe it is a typo and that it means to say that "Topics may include, but are NOT limited to:........" Going to Westlake Invite (Ohio) on Saturday. Let you know how it goes.
Not the place for official comments or clarifications as usual. That said, last year the wording was "Questions will be from the following Severe Storm Weather topics:", so I believe the intention IS to limit questions to the listed topics.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
slytherin
State: KS

Post by slytherin »

chalker wrote:
Milankovitch1 wrote:
slytherin wrote:I'm pretty sure that yes, tests shouldn't include anything not the rule sheet.
Not the place for official comments or clarifications as usual. That said, last year the wording was "Questions will be from the following Severe Storm Weather topics:", so I believe the intention IS to limit questions to the listed topics.
I think Milankovitch was joking just because sponsors rarely ever follow the rules haha :lol:
State:
Anatomy: 2nd
Meteorology: 2nd
Simple Machines: 2nd
Solar System: 2nd
Notice a pattern :lol:
Milankovitch1

Post by Milankovitch1 »

Slytherin, thanks for your support. First event this past weekend. Hadn't really covered Gyres and eddies during my studies but there were several questions about them. Another on "loop current" and way more on Thornthwaite then just being the antithesis to Koppen and based on enviroevaporations. Hope other can share so we can all expand our research and studies. Anyone else at Westlake, Ohio event? Top 10, need to do better.
Play Hard - Have Fun
awesome90220

Post by awesome90220 »

Milankovitch1 wrote:Slytherin, thanks for your support. First event this past weekend. Hadn't really covered Gyres and eddies during my studies but there were several questions about them. Another on "loop current" and way more on Thornthwaite then just being the antithesis to Koppen and based on enviroevaporations. Hope other can share so we can all expand our research and studies. Anyone else at Westlake, Ohio event? Top 10, need to do better.
As far as I know, the gyres and eddies are under the thermohaline circulation aspect, I can't remember what letter that is, and am too lazy to find it. I also came to decide to add a map of the US thornthwaite, a description of each of the Thornthwaite climates, and a formula to calculate percipitation stuffs to the index. For checking purposes, would that have been enough to answer most of the Thornthwaite questions at Westlake?
On a side note, are there any ice cores that I should focus on, or even look at at all? All I know right now are Vostok and EPICA.
Milankovitch1

Post by Milankovitch1 »

awesome90220 wrote:
Milankovitch1 wrote:Slytherin, thanks for your support. First event this past weekend. Hadn't really covered Gyres and eddies during my studies but there were several questions about them. Another on "loop current" and way more on Thornthwaite then just being the antithesis to Koppen and based on enviroevaporations. Hope other can share so we can all expand our research and studies. Anyone else at Westlake, Ohio event? Top 10, need to do better.
As far as I know, the gyres and eddies are under the thermohaline circulation aspect, I can't remember what letter that is, and am too lazy to find it. I also came to decide to add a map of the US thornthwaite, a description of each of the Thornthwaite climates, and a formula to calculate percipitation stuffs to the index. For checking purposes, would that have been enough to answer most of the Thornthwaite questions at Westlake?
On a side note, are there any ice cores that I should focus on, or even look at at all? All I know right now are Vostok and EPICA.
I've just focused on knowing the ice core samples on climate dating. Probably need to expand that.
Play Hard - Have Fun

Return to “2015 Study Events”