Meteorology B

awesome90220
Division: B
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Meteorology B

Post by awesome90220 »

coprolite_dipstick wrote:i had my state competition recently as well (about a week ago)...

mine was separated into two parts; one part was completely multiple choice with simple questions, e.g. what are contrails made of? why does seasonal co2 vary?

the second part was entirely short answer and that's where most of the points on the test were. it asked you to explain certain concepts such as the leeward and windward sides of a mountain, feedback loops... the same kinds of questions that you'd see on the question marathon forum for meteorology. there was a "snowball earth" model that you had to explain, as well as some other diagrams they wanted you to give an explanation to.

meteorology is a fairly easy event, good luck everyone :D

3rd in state this year
So, like many others, my state competition was this past week, and, must I say, it was quite odd.
First of all, it was over a hundred questions. While this may seem pretty normal, this is Alabama we're talking about. The test was fairly easy, and was ACTUALLY stuff that was within the ranges of climate! I'm pretty sure at regionals I had a question about either the Saffir-Simpson or Fujita scales, so it was better than that.

The catch though, was that this baby was in stations. Have any of y'all seen this before? Since nats is the last time I'll be doing meteorology, I suppose it doesn't really matter if this happens often, but, ya know, I'm curious.

So, on to nationals... Does anyone have any doubt that this test will be another super long one? Any predictions about the test?

(PS. About a week ago! Ayyyyy)
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

awesome90220 wrote:
coprolite_dipstick wrote:i had my state competition recently as well (about a week ago)...

mine was separated into two parts; one part was completely multiple choice with simple questions, e.g. what are contrails made of? why does seasonal co2 vary?

the second part was entirely short answer and that's where most of the points on the test were. it asked you to explain certain concepts such as the leeward and windward sides of a mountain, feedback loops... the same kinds of questions that you'd see on the question marathon forum for meteorology. there was a "snowball earth" model that you had to explain, as well as some other diagrams they wanted you to give an explanation to.

meteorology is a fairly easy event, good luck everyone :D

3rd in state this year
So, like many others, my state competition was this past week, and, must I say, it was quite odd.
First of all, it was over a hundred questions. While this may seem pretty normal, this is Alabama we're talking about. The test was fairly easy, and was ACTUALLY stuff that was within the ranges of climate! I'm pretty sure at regionals I had a question about either the Saffir-Simpson or Fujita scales, so it was better than that.

The catch though, was that this baby was in stations. Have any of y'all seen this before? Since nats is the last time I'll be doing meteorology, I suppose it doesn't really matter if this happens often, but, ya know, I'm curious.

So, on to nationals... Does anyone have any doubt that this test will be another super long one? Any predictions about the test?

Do you have results (top 3 plus points) for Alabama B or C? Those are currently missing from the site.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
coprolite_dipstick
State: CA

Post by coprolite_dipstick »

awesome90220 wrote:

i've never heard about it being stationed before... mine was a sit-down test just like regionals and the regionals last year.
2016: CVMC/CV Invite/Mesa Robles/Reg/State
ExpD: 1/1/1/1/9
Foss: 3/1/8/4/1
Green Gen: 2/1/4/1/7
Met: 2/2/3/8/4
the dipstick is an intricate device used to measure the amount of rain in a rain gauge. it can also be used as a derogatory term for your meteorology partners
Fibonacci924
State: MN

Post by Fibonacci924 »

Mine was................ It didn't go well.
"Truth is like poetry. And most people *butterfly* hate poetry."- Overheard in a Washington DC bar.

Always remember: P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney.

Two time member of the Eternal Order of the Assassinators
coprolite_dipstick
State: CA

Post by coprolite_dipstick »

Fibonacci924 wrote:Mine was................ It didn't go well.
That's alright, I always suck at regional competitions. At least you got to be on the team! :D
2016: CVMC/CV Invite/Mesa Robles/Reg/State
ExpD: 1/1/1/1/9
Foss: 3/1/8/4/1
Green Gen: 2/1/4/1/7
Met: 2/2/3/8/4
the dipstick is an intricate device used to measure the amount of rain in a rain gauge. it can also be used as a derogatory term for your meteorology partners
Milankovitch1
State: OH

Post by Milankovitch1 »

Dominant Team in Meteorology With Ohio being a top tier state and Solon being the gold standard for any state, take a look at this: Meteorology State Meet in Ohio since 2008. Chardon Middle School has finished 1st 4 times, 2nd 3 times and 4th once. They seem to peak in Columbus. Nice job.
Play Hard - Have Fun
Milankovitch1

Post by Milankovitch1 »

John Richardsim wrote:
embokim wrote:What are Semi-Permanent pressure cells and WHAT IS INSOLATION
Insolation - this is very important to know, seeing how it will come up in every topic of this event. Insolation is an abbreviation for incoming solar radiation (INcoming SOLar radiATION). As I said, it's very common in meteorology, sometimes common enough to the point where it is sometimes not defined enough.

Semi-permanent pressure cells - areas of low/high pressure patterns that vary in position and strength (sometimes disappearing altogether) depending on the time of the year. For example, the Aleutian Low covers much of the north Pacific Ocean in January. However, by the time July rolls around, it has been replaced by the Hawaiian High as the prevailing pressure pattern in the north Pacific. Semi-permanent pressure cells are important to local climates because they describe the most common pressure systems that are expected to occur in an area at a point in time, which can indicate the most likely weather patterns (e.g., if an area is under a semi-permanent cell of high pressure in the winter, you would expect the area to usually experience conditions associated with high pressure systems more than those associated with low pressure systems).
The cause of the formation of 4 centers of action is due to the differential heating between land and ocean.In Winter(Northern Hem) the ocean surface is relatively warm compared to the nearby land at the same latitude. The warmer ocean surface air rises, intensifying the Arctic Lows and weakening the subtropical Highs. During the summer the ocean surface is relatively cool compared to the nearby land at the same latitude. The cooler ocean surface air sinks, intensifying the subtropical Highs and weakening the Arctic Lows. The subtropical Highs (both Hawaiian High and Bermuda High) exist year round so the are actual permanent (just not always dominant). The subtropical Highs intensify in summer due to the relatively cooler ocean surface air that subsides, intensifying the surface divergence (net loss of air).The semi-permanent centers of action are the Arctic Lows (both Aleutian and Icelandic Lows).The Arctic Lows weaken and even disappear in summer. I find it helpful in knowing that he transition zone between the Hadley and Ferrel cell is an area of high pressure as this is where both are descending. It is easier to remember that semi-permanent(SP) highs are located over water at approx. 30 degrees latitude (Hadley-Ferrel transition). The same can be said for the SP Lows and the Ferrel/Polar cell transition at/near 60 latitude.
Play Hard - Have Fun
MrHaleStorm1

Post by MrHaleStorm1 »

I am ready to get started, anyone else?
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

MrHaleStorm1 wrote:I am ready to get started, anyone else?
It would be nice if I had another event I knew somewhat well (not that well, but better than some others this year). Alas, I'm now in Div C.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
cheshire
Division: C

Post by cheshire »

Unome wrote:
MrHaleStorm1 wrote:I am ready to get started, anyone else?
It would be nice if I had another event I knew somewhat well (not that well, but better than some others this year). Alas, I'm now in Div C.
Bits and pieces of Meteorology seem to be incorporated into some Div C events though, which is good I guess.

Return to “2015 Study Events”