Meteorology B

XturtleX
Division: C
State: TX

Re: Meteorology B

Postby XturtleX » December 7th, 2014, 6:15 pm

Umm... for the representative activity, how do you signs to show feedback? i know what it is but i dont know what it means in drawing + or - signs. any examples?
Cinco Ranch Science Olympiad

Milankovitch1
Division: Grad
State: OH

Postby Milankovitch1 » December 7th, 2014, 8:29 pm

Let's use the sea ice albedo feedback loop as an example. A: Sea Ice, B: Earth's Albedo, C: Temperature. A to B If Sea Ice growing makes the Albedo greater then arrow from A to B would be rated as a PLUS. B to C If Albedo increase, we know that would actual decrease temp so the arrow from B to C would be rated a MINUS, and then finally C to A. if surface temp increase, will Sea Ice increase? NO, so the arrow from C to A would be rated a MINUS. The net of the 3 would probably be rated as an overall PLUS. I believe that this would be the proper approach. Hope that helps.
Play Hard - Have Fun

XturtleX
State: TX

Postby XturtleX » December 8th, 2014, 6:58 am

Thank you very much, it makes a lot of sense
Cinco Ranch Science Olympiad

Milankovitch1

Re: Meteorology B ENSO

Postby Milankovitch1 » December 19th, 2014, 3:39 pm

Why is it so hard to find information in regards to El Nino events outside of the So. Pacific? It's not like the Trade Winds are only reversing in the Pacific. Anyone have any thoughts or good links, please reply. Thanks
Play Hard - Have Fun

meteorology125

Postby meteorology125 » December 20th, 2014, 11:51 am

Why is it so hard to find information in regards to El Nino events outside of the So. Pacific? It's not like the Trade Winds are only reversing in the Pacific. Anyone have any thoughts or good links, please reply. Thanks
This website seems to have detailed information on the effects of el nino: http://www.knmi.nl/research/global_clim ... o/effects/. El nino is the warming of the eastern Pacific ocean, caused by the weakening of trade winds, but this has an effect on the climate globally.
2015 Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Crave the Wave, Entomology, Meteorology, Picture This, Road Scholar, and Simple Machines

awesome90220
Division: B
State: AL

Postby awesome90220 » December 22nd, 2014, 3:54 pm

May I be the first to start the new meteorology rule sheet contradiction by quoting the rule sheet: "Topics may include, but ARE limited to:" Chalker, is this a typo, or saying that tests shouldn't include anything not on the rule sheet, such as previous ice ages and things under the topic of everyday weather that don't go with climate?
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20

slytherin
State: KS

Postby slytherin » December 25th, 2014, 7:26 am

May I be the first to start the new meteorology rule sheet contradiction by quoting the rule sheet: "Topics may include, but ARE limited to:" Chalker, is this a typo, or saying that tests shouldn't include anything not on the rule sheet, such as previous ice ages and things under the topic of everyday weather that don't go with climate
I'm pretty sure that yes, tests shouldn't include anything not the rule sheet.
State:
Anatomy: 2nd
Meteorology: 2nd
Simple Machines: 2nd
Solar System: 2nd
Notice a pattern :lol:

Milankovitch1

Postby Milankovitch1 » December 28th, 2014, 5:18 pm

Thanks for the link
This website seems to have detailed information on the effects of el nino: http://www.knmi.nl/research/global_clim ... o/effects/. El nino is the warming of the eastern Pacific ocean, caused by the weakening of trade winds, but this has an effect on the climate globally.
Play Hard - Have Fun

awesome90220
State: AL

Postby awesome90220 » December 30th, 2014, 3:58 pm

Can someone please explain the public land survey system, it is confusing me so much :?
and also the daisy world model
To answer this question, the daisy world model is a simple hypothetical of earth in which Earth consists of just three types of surfaces: black or white daisies, and barren land. The black daisies have a low albedo, thus absorbing more energy, and the white daisies have a high albedo and reflect more energy. Barren lands have an albedo in the middle. This means that black daisies will warm the surrounding areas with its extra energy, and white daisies cool the surrounding areas as more energy is reflected. As a result, the hypothetical states that the black daisies grow in cooler climates and the white daisies grow in warmer climates, meaning that the daisies will always pull the temperature of the surrounding atmosphere back towards the mean temperature.
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20

Milankovitch1

Postby Milankovitch1 » January 7th, 2015, 2:54 pm

May I be the first to start the new meteorology rule sheet contradiction by quoting the rule sheet: "Topics may include, but ARE limited to:" Chalker, is this a typo, or saying that tests shouldn't include anything not on the rule sheet, such as previous ice ages and things under the topic of everyday weather that don't go with climate
I'm pretty sure that yes, tests shouldn't include anything not the rule sheet.
I believe it is a typo and that it means to say that "Topics may include, but are NOT limited to:........" Going to Westlake Invite (Ohio) on Saturday. Let you know how it goes.
Play Hard - Have Fun

Return to “2015 Study Events”