Road Scholar B

robotarmy567
Division: B
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Road Scholar B

Post by robotarmy567 »

syo_astro, thanks, sorry and yes, the daisy world model is mentioned inthe rules, so i would just like to know what exactly it was just in case,
My three loves:
school
One Direction
5 Seconds of Summer
:P
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

robotarmy567 wrote:syo_astro, thanks, sorry and yes, the daisy world model is mentioned inthe rules, so i would just like to know what exactly it was just in case,
Um, where exactly in the Road Scholar rules do you see the Daisyworld Model? Just as syo said, it seems like it has more to do with some other sort of earth science event (perhaps Meteorology?).
robotarmy567

Post by robotarmy567 »

John Richardsim wrote:
robotarmy567 wrote:syo_astro, thanks, sorry and yes, the daisy world model is mentioned inthe rules, so i would just like to know what exactly it was just in case,
Um, where exactly in the Road Scholar rules do you see the Daisyworld Model? Just as syo said, it seems like it has more to do with some other sort of earth science event (perhaps Meteorology?).
oops, wrong forum, sorry :oops:
My three loves:
school
One Direction
5 Seconds of Summer
Aces

Post by Aces »

thanks for the response. Where do you buy the exam packet? Thanks very much!
JennJ

Post by JennJ »

I too would love to know where to buy these packets. Is it from Ward's Science or is there some other resource out there?
Milankovitch1
State: OH

Post by Milankovitch1 »

John Richardsim wrote:
Hmm, yes DaisyWorld is part of this year's Meteorology topics.
Play Hard - Have Fun
robotarmy567

Post by robotarmy567 »

can anyone explain azimuths and bearings? i am still ver confuzed on those two things :? :?:
My three loves:
school
One Direction
5 Seconds of Summer
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

robotarmy567 wrote:can anyone explain azimuths and bearings? i am still ver confuzed on those two things :? :?:
You may understand that there are 360 degrees in a circle. While navigating and using maps, it is very important to of course understand and be able to communicating different directions. Azimuth and bearing are two different ways of doing this. Remember in general here you have to also set up your reference for north and whatnot beforehand.

Azimuth is simply a number ranging from 000 to 360, and you can think of as if you had a circle with 000 as north and the numbers increasing clockwise. So, east would be 090, south would be 180, west would be 270, due northeast would be 045, etc.

Bearing on the other hand in some senses is more explicit. The notation is first letter as N or S, then a number which is between 0 and 90, then E or W. Examples of that would be N40W, N30E, S90E, S70W. I tend to read it like this: "Go in a direction that is [E or W] degrees from [N or S]". So like N40W would be go west (counterclockwise) 40 degrees starting from where you point north. S90E on the other hand would be pointing 90 degrees east from due south, so it would be simply due east.

You can also convert between the two because why not have an extra question to ask. Something like S90E or S00E may be easy, but what about say N30E? Well, if you go 30 degrees easy, then think of it like this. N is 000 in azimuth, and you want to add 30 going towards east, which is clockwise. Since we are going clockwise, logically you know along the circle you are going in the direction at 30 degrees in your circle, and this is just 030 as an azimuth.

Lastly, say we have an azimuth of 300 and want to turn that into bearing. First we need to decided whether we have to start from N or S, and since it's greater than 270 degrees but less than 360 degrees we have to start from north (starting from south, 180 degrees, it's impossible to get to 300 by adding 90, but at north we can have 000 or 360, and 300 is within 360 - 90). So we know we have to go west in this case, and this is 60 degrees from 360 because of 360 - 300. Knowing that, we can finally say the answer is simply N60W.

Does this make sense? There are various links online you can search up too like http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/geolo ... /comp.html.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Verdigris
Division: C
State: FL

Post by Verdigris »

Question: Do all maps use the same set of symbols? I ask because as of yet I haven't found a suitable equivalent to the symbols list posted on the wiki page (which is broken, by the way).
Verdigris - green of Greece (Lake Nona High)
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

All topographic maps provided by the USGS will have the same set of symbols. Those are generally the types of maps you'll encounter, but I can't confirm. There may be some differences in topographic maps from other sources.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

Return to “2015 Study Events”