Solar System B

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad

Solar System B

Postby Jim_R » August 10th, 2014, 10:31 am

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.

TheDukeofFlibFlubana
State: -

Re: Solar System B

Postby TheDukeofFlibFlubana » November 13th, 2014, 8:19 pm

First! :p

On a more nonspammy note, I only had a chance to skim the rules and I'm wondering what makes this different from last years'.

Unome
State: GA

Postby Unome » November 14th, 2014, 4:26 am

TheDukeofFlibFlubana wrote:First! :p

On a more nonspammy note, I only had a chance to skim the rules and I'm wondering what makes this different from last years'.

The rules have not changed from last year (as far as I can remember)
Userpage
Chattahoochee High School Class of 2018
Georgia Tech Class of 2022

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Panda Weasley
Division: C

Postby Panda Weasley » November 30th, 2014, 10:46 am

Quick question.
I know in other study events partners sometimes divide topics between the two of them to focus on. This is helpful so that you individually don't have to learn every little detail about everything on the list. Do you guys think that is a good idea for Solar System?
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:

Unome

Postby Unome » November 30th, 2014, 11:00 am

Panda Weasley wrote:Quick question.
I know in other study events partners sometimes divide topics between the two of them to focus on. This is helpful so that you individually don't have to learn every little detail about everything on the list. Do you guys think that is a good idea for Solar System?

It will probably work, but I've noticed that Solar System tends to have longer tests than other events, so if you're pressed for time, it can be difficult for you to have to work on stuff independently of each other if you've split the material.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Panda Weasley

Postby Panda Weasley » November 30th, 2014, 11:04 am

Unome wrote:

It will probably work, but I've noticed that Solar System tends to have longer tests than other events, so if you're pressed for time, it can be difficult for you to have to work on stuff independently of each other if you've split the material.

Good point. It could make it easier to finish the test in time though if that's the case if you are allowed to split the pages apart.....
DFTBA!

slytherin
Division: B
State: KS

Postby slytherin » December 22nd, 2014, 9:28 am

I wouldn't recommend that because for most of the competitions I have been to it has usually been on a PowerPoint so its better to both know the material so not only 1 person knows the answer to a question. Also, Solar System is a super easy event and easily can have most things memorized. The most important part would probably be to know where everything is on your notes so you don't spend time on each slide trying to find where everything is...
State:
Anatomy: 2nd
Meteorology: 2nd
Simple Machines: 2nd
Solar System: 2nd
Notice a pattern :lol:

slytherin

Postby slytherin » December 25th, 2014, 7:37 am

I LOVE THIS EVENT SOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!! BEST EVENT EVER!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
State:

Panda Weasley

Postby Panda Weasley » January 19th, 2015, 6:50 am

It's me again!
Okay one more question. On the rules it says we need to know about different missions for each of the objects. I have a link to the list that the event leader for my state recommends us to use (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_So ... tem_probes). For certain objects like Europa do you think we need to learn all of the ones for Jupiter, or focus mainly on the ones explicitly for Europa?
DFTBA!

Unome

Postby Unome » January 19th, 2015, 10:55 am

Panda Weasley wrote:It's me again!
Okay one more question. On the rules it says we need to know about different missions for each of the objects. I have a link to the list that the event leader for my state recommends us to use (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_So ... tem_probes). For certain objects like Europa do you think we need to learn all of the ones for Jupiter, or focus mainly on the ones explicitly for Europa?

It depends on the test writer (our test writer for Georgia states is a bit strange), but most likely they will ask about missions related to Europa.
Userpage

slytherin

Postby slytherin » February 5th, 2015, 3:20 pm

Does anyone have any good books or online websites or anything particularly useful for this event. By the way please don't say NASA or anything on the rules sheet listed because I've already studied those websites..
State:

slytherin

Postby slytherin » February 13th, 2015, 8:54 am

Does anyone know what the rules sheet means by phase diagrams? Also any good websites for crystalline forms of water ice
State:

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby syo_astro » February 13th, 2015, 10:40 am

Just for future reference, you can edit posts rather than double posting.

I guess I can't answer your first question because honestly I would just link to soinc.org, aavso.org, and the webinars. There's honestly A LOT of good stuff and tests from that alone, and it really prepares you well combined with extra google searching of images, around NASA, etc. I can't tell actually whether you fully looked through those sites because phase diagrams are *definitely* in some tests I was skimming. For example, you can take a look at the nats test from last year at: http://www.ig.utexas.edu/research/planetary/outreach/ (among the other resources at http://soinc.org/solar_b and the 2014 AAVSO science olympiad section).

A quick summary of phase diagrams. They are essentially a graph of temperature on the y-axis and pressure on the x-axis. That may seem random, but those two properties alone can effectively be used to plot out lines and areas for different phases of matter. If you think about it, temperature you know can do stuff like melt ice into liquid water, and pressure can compress liquid water into ice. Both can work in the opposite ways too. But you should be aware that you can do it with other compounds/elements on other planets or moons, a great example to look up is with methane on Titan. Wikipedia goes into fair depth on it, but I recommend actually using other sources for more comprehensible explanations. But even then, I think for water you are looking for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_diag ... e_diagrams. Even googling "crystalline forms of water ice phase diagram" gets exactly what you want in images.

Example sites you can find by googling "phase diagram" outside wikipedia:
http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/genchem/t ... /phase.php
http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Physical_Ch ... e_Diagrams
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/pha ... diags.html

If there's something unclear here, then please ask. They're essentially important because, after determining pressure and temperature on a planet or moon, one can find what phase certain compounds may be in very easily with phase diagrams. This is very powerful when trying to figure out whether water or something else even exists in all three phases of matter (I emphasize water because people tend to link water with life and search for that I think). Major other lesson here is if you don't know something in the rules, then google is a powerful friend. Hope that helps!
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

slytherin

Postby slytherin » February 14th, 2015, 7:47 am

syo_astro wrote:Just for future reference, you can edit posts rather than double posting.

I guess I can't answer your first question because honestly I would just link to soinc.org, aavso.org, and the webinars. There's honestly A LOT of good stuff and tests from that alone, and it really prepares you well combined with extra google searching of images, around NASA, etc. I can't tell actually whether you fully looked through those sites because phase diagrams are *definitely* in some tests I was skimming. For example, you can take a look at the nats test from last year at: http://www.ig.utexas.edu/research/planetary/outreach/ (among the other resources at http://soinc.org/solar_b and the 2014 AAVSO science olympiad section).

A quick summary of phase diagrams. They are essentially a graph of temperature on the y-axis and pressure on the x-axis. That may seem random, but those two properties alone can effectively be used to plot out lines and areas for different phases of matter. If you think about it, temperature you know can do stuff like melt ice into liquid water, and pressure can compress liquid water into ice. Both can work in the opposite ways too. But you should be aware that you can do it with other compounds/elements on other planets or moons, a great example to look up is with methane on Titan. Wikipedia goes into fair depth on it, but I recommend actually using other sources for more comprehensible explanations. But even then, I think for water you are looking for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_diag ... e_diagrams. Even googling "crystalline forms of water ice phase diagram" gets exactly what you want in images.

Example sites you can find by googling "phase diagram" outside wikipedia:
http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/genchem/t ... /phase.php
http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Physical_Ch ... e_Diagrams
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/pha ... diags.html

If there's something unclear here, then please ask. They're essentially important because, after determining pressure and temperature on a planet or moon, one can find what phase certain compounds may be in very easily with phase diagrams. This is very powerful when trying to figure out whether water or something else even exists in all three phases of matter (I emphasize water because people tend to link water with life and search for that I think). Major other lesson here is if you don't know something in the rules, then google is a powerful friend. Hope that helps!

Thanks so much!
State:

Panda Weasley

Postby Panda Weasley » February 19th, 2015, 10:19 am

I have 3 or 4 small random spots on my cheat sheet that I need to fill with something. Does anyone have any recommendations for things that you normally put on your cheat sheet that is helpful?
DFTBA!

Return to “2015 Study Events”