Solar System B

boomvroomshroom
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Solar System B

Post by boomvroomshroom »

Panda Weasley wrote:I have 3 or 4 small random spots on my cheat sheet that I need to fill with something. Does anyone have any recommendations for things that you normally put on your cheat sheet that is helpful?
Random trivia and history, if you haven't done it yet.
slytherin
Division: B
State: KS

Post by slytherin »

Does anyone have any websites for missions?
State:
Anatomy: 2nd
Meteorology: 2nd
Simple Machines: 2nd
Solar System: 2nd
Notice a pattern :lol:
acornbob

Post by acornbob »

Does anyone have any studying tips for solar system in states? What kind of questions will they ask? I live in Michigan. Can you guys provide any links or tools that you know are good?
Thanks
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

acornbob wrote:Does anyone have any studying tips for solar system in states? What kind of questions will they ask? I live in Michigan. Can you guys provide any links or tools that you know are good?
Thanks
Here is my teammate's account of last year's Solar System test at the state competition:
trentomology1999 wrote:Um, it was a mix of multiple choice and written questions. Most questions consisted of a picture or diagram that you were supposed to analyze and answer questions about. I believe there were a few general short answer questions at the end
coprolite_dipstick

Post by coprolite_dipstick »

acornbob wrote:Does anyone have any studying tips for solar system in states? What kind of questions will they ask? I live in Michigan. Can you guys provide any links or tools that you know are good?
Thanks
This is from prior knowledge from last year (I didn't go to state, but two of my friends did and talked about the test a lot).
Basically, general knowledge from what you've done in Regionals. Probably go a bit more in depth with everything you've already learned, make sure you have a phase diagram on your cheat sheet, stuff like that. They sometimes ask really random questions -- for example, at the SoCal state test, they asked "Where is JPL located?" (for future knowledge, Pasadena). Go more in depth on everything you already know and know the locations of major organizations having to do with Solar System. The types of questions they ask really depend on the test writers... good luck! :D
2016: CVMC/CV Invite/Mesa Robles/Reg/State
ExpD: 1/1/1/1/9
Foss: 3/1/8/4/1
Green Gen: 2/1/4/1/7
Met: 2/2/3/8/4
the dipstick is an intricate device used to measure the amount of rain in a rain gauge. it can also be used as a derogatory term for your meteorology partners
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

Just remembered a question I meant to ask from Regionals. On our test they asked us several questions about Dwarf Planets that weren't on the list. Should we go ahead and study these for state, or is this most likely just a one time mistake from Regionals?
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
slytherin
State: KS

Post by slytherin »

Panda Weasley wrote:Just remembered a question I meant to ask from Regionals. On our test they asked us several questions about Dwarf Planets that weren't on the list. Should we go ahead and study these for state, or is this most likely just a one time mistake from Regionals?
I would think it was a mistake, but it never hurts to study more than needed.
State:
Anatomy: 2nd
Meteorology: 2nd
Simple Machines: 2nd
Solar System: 2nd
Notice a pattern :lol:
Adi1008
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

Panda Weasley wrote:Just remembered a question I meant to ask from Regionals. On our test they asked us several questions about Dwarf Planets that weren't on the list. Should we go ahead and study these for state, or is this most likely just a one time mistake from Regionals?
In my experience, you only need to know the names, the ice/other stuff that make it up, and anything very notable about it (e.g. Eris - has a moon named Dysnomia, Pluto - will be visited by New Horizons, etc.) Generally, if they even appear, they make up a small portion of the test.

I don't think it's off topic or a mistake though
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

Adi1008 wrote:
In my experience, you only need to know the names, the ice/other stuff that make it up, and anything very notable about it (e.g. Eris - has a moon named Dysnomia, Pluto - will be visited by New Horizons, etc.) Generally, if they even appear, they make up a small portion of the test.

I don't think it's off topic or a mistake though
slytherin wrote:
I would think it was a mistake, but it never hurts to study more than needed.
Okay thanks guys! I'll go ahead and add those to my cheat sheet.
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
Bilbo McSwaggins
State: OH

Post by Bilbo McSwaggins »

slytherin wrote:I LOVE THIS EVENT SOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!! BEST EVENT EVER!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
One of the hardest study events though :twisted:
Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
-Elbert Hubbard
On the bright side, my events this year are: Anatomy, ELG, Solar System, and CJAP :D
Medal Count:16

Return to “2015 Study Events”