State: KS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Solar System B

Post by slytherin »

syo_astro wrote:
Unome wrote:
slytherin wrote:...
3.) Stay up to date with Solar System news. There was a question about something that happened in late February of 2015, sooo..
:lol: Anything is fair game, even if it happened the night before the tournament.
This is majority of the time INCORRECT. I emphasize this because, especially for states/nats tests, they have to be made at least over the day before. If you're dealing with bad test writers (mostly rushed regionals writers I guess or invites writers that don't always have to try), okay, maybe the day before s/he takes something random from the news, but most of the time this just cannot happen. The tests are almost always printed the day before, and so the test has to at least be STARTED (basically finished) over a day before. It's very difficult to throw in a solid random question about the news like that...but you should still appreciate astronomy news when you can :). If by late Feb you mean the Dawn/New Horizons missions and their approaches, those are unimaginably appropriate for the event, so I think that would be fair game. If it was a random news fact...then idk, I stand by if you study and enjoy the event that won't be as bad as it could be.
It was just a random news fact which is what had bothered me, but I'm just giving out tips to be aware of what is going on in Solar System news. And I never said Solar System was bad too btw. I got 2nd in the event so it actually went fairly well.
State:
Anatomy: 2nd
Meteorology: 2nd
Simple Machines: 2nd
Solar System: 2nd
Notice a pattern :lol:
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

Haha, I figured, it was more towards Unome (I figured it was half-joking, but may as well cover the other half :P).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Panda Weasley
Division: C

Post by Panda Weasley »

Hey guys! I recently had a practice test, and one of the smaller sections was labeling which formations in a picture were formed first or last. I ended up getting all of the questions right with my guessing powers, but I was wondering if there was an actual way to tell every time which formation was first or last. I've been trying to find the answer, but I keep getting pages about the formation of the solar system. Can someone be amazing and explain it to me please?
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Panda Weasley wrote:Hey guys! I recently had a practice test, and one of the smaller sections was labeling which formations in a picture were formed first or last. I ended up getting all of the questions right with my guessing powers, but I was wondering if there was an actual way to tell every time which formation was first or last. I've been trying to find the answer, but I keep getting pages about the formation of the solar system. Can someone be amazing and explain it to me please?
What were the formations? Craters can be estimated based on the sharpness of the ridge (at least, that's how I do it), but there's probably a better way.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

Unome wrote:
Panda Weasley wrote:Hey guys! I recently had a practice test, and one of the smaller sections was labeling which formations in a picture were formed first or last. I ended up getting all of the questions right with my guessing powers, but I was wondering if there was an actual way to tell every time which formation was first or last. I've been trying to find the answer, but I keep getting pages about the formation of the solar system. Can someone be amazing and explain it to me please?
What were the formations? Craters can be estimated based on the sharpness of the ridge (at least, that's how I do it), but there's probably a better way.
If I remember correctly they were pictures of cycloids and conamara chaos.
DFTBA!
Unome

Post by Unome »

Panda Weasley wrote:
Unome wrote:
I'm not certain, but I think cycloids will beomce more prominently curved overtime, until they eventually just break up into little segments.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

Unome wrote:
Panda Weasley wrote:
Unome wrote: What were the formations? Craters can be estimated based on the sharpness of the ridge (at least, that's how I do it), but there's probably a better way.
I'm not certain, but I think cycloids will beomce more prominently curved overtime, until they eventually just break up into little segments.
Okay thanks!
DFTBA!
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

I'm getting my State review notes together right now, and I was wondering if anyone knows a good website that has good medium sized (1-2 pages) articles? All the websites I've used thus far have pages and pages of information, and I can't print all of that and take it with me. If anyone knows a good source I may have overlooked please let me know! :D
DFTBA!
Unome

Post by Unome »

Panda Weasley wrote:I'm getting my State review notes together right now, and I was wondering if anyone knows a good website that has good medium sized (1-2 pages) articles? All the websites I've used thus far have pages and pages of information, and I can't print all of that and take it with me. If anyone knows a good source I may have overlooked please let me know! :D
You don't have to print it out; you just need to rewrite it to make it short.
Userpage

Adi1008
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

This is super, super late, and probably not even useful now that solar's done with lol, but the best way to tell which ones are younger and older would be to see which ones are on top of each other. Sorta like the Law of Superposition, here, the younger features would be on top of the older features, just like the younger strata are at the top while the older strata are at the bottom.

I made a little thing in paint to help illustrate this. I don't really know how to upload a file to scioly.org (I think I used to but I forgot lol) so here it is on imgur yay: http://i.imgur.com/ejkT4bb.png

Here, imagine that the white background is the surface of Europa and all the colored lines are different features (e.g. ridges, cycloids, etc.) You first start out by seeing what the oldest thing it (or at least I do), which would just the the color that's not on top of any other color, but other colors are on top of it. In this case, that would be the red line. Next, you look at the color that's directly on top of it (blue), and see if it's on top of any colors aside form red (to see if it's the second oldest or just something younger than red). Here, we see that blue is only on top of red, so it has to be the second oldest. Likewise, you'll see that the third oldest one is green, because it's on top of red and blue, but not any other colors.

Now, this is where stuff gets kinda weird. The remaining colors are orange and purple. Both of them are older than green (and in turn, red and blue since green is younger than red and blue), but since orange and purple don't cross, you don't know which one of the two is older. Now, if this was a real picture, say from Galileo, you could look at other things, like Unome said, but since there's not anything else in this quick paint thing I made, this is as far as we can go.

To summarize, the order we would get would be, from oldest to youngest: red, blue, green, orange/purple.
Unome wrote:
Panda Weasley wrote:I'm getting my State review notes together right now, and I was wondering if anyone knows a good website that has good medium sized (1-2 pages) articles? All the websites I've used thus far have pages and pages of information, and I can't print all of that and take it with me. If anyone knows a good source I may have overlooked please let me know! :D
You don't have to print it out; you just need to rewrite it to make it short.
TL;DR for this: yeha Unome's right just summarize the article and put it in your normal notes or something, don't print it out

Also, way too late, but just for anybody in the future, your goal in making notes is to have as much information as you can in the least amount of space as possible. That means eliminating words such as "the", "and", etc., which are unnecessary and compacting a bunch of text and pictures together with minimal white space. Copy and pasting articles isn't very useful for a variety of reasons, but the main couple are these:

1) too many unnecessary words that waste space
2) usually if you copy and paste something you don't really understand it was well as if you typed it out.
3) not only unnecessary words, but also unnecessary information you don't need to know.

Your goal is to eliminate redundancy and be as efficient as possible in making notes, otherwise they aren't that useful. Get as much information as you can from as many sources as you can and compile and organize them. I'd advise against printing out articles and stuffi n the future.
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14

Return to “2015 Study Events”