Solar System B

Panda Weasley
Division: C
Has thanked: 0

Re: Solar System B

Post by Panda Weasley »

Just remembered a question I meant to ask from Regionals. On our test they asked us several questions about Dwarf Planets that weren't on the list. Should we go ahead and study these for state, or is this most likely just a one time mistake from Regionals?
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
slytherin
Division: B
State: KS
Been thanked: 0

Post by slytherin »

Panda Weasley wrote:Just remembered a question I meant to ask from Regionals. On our test they asked us several questions about Dwarf Planets that weren't on the list. Should we go ahead and study these for state, or is this most likely just a one time mistake from Regionals?
I would think it was a mistake, but it never hurts to study more than needed.
State:
Anatomy: 2nd
Meteorology: 2nd
Simple Machines: 2nd
Solar System: 2nd
Notice a pattern :lol:
Adi1008
Division: Grad
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

Panda Weasley wrote:Just remembered a question I meant to ask from Regionals. On our test they asked us several questions about Dwarf Planets that weren't on the list. Should we go ahead and study these for state, or is this most likely just a one time mistake from Regionals?
In my experience, you only need to know the names, the ice/other stuff that make it up, and anything very notable about it (e.g. Eris - has a moon named Dysnomia, Pluto - will be visited by New Horizons, etc.) Generally, if they even appear, they make up a small portion of the test.

I don't think it's off topic or a mistake though
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

Adi1008 wrote:
In my experience, you only need to know the names, the ice/other stuff that make it up, and anything very notable about it (e.g. Eris - has a moon named Dysnomia, Pluto - will be visited by New Horizons, etc.) Generally, if they even appear, they make up a small portion of the test.

I don't think it's off topic or a mistake though
slytherin wrote:
I would think it was a mistake, but it never hurts to study more than needed.
Okay thanks guys! I'll go ahead and add those to my cheat sheet.
DFTBA!
Bilbo McSwaggins
State: OH

Post by Bilbo McSwaggins »

slytherin wrote:I LOVE THIS EVENT SOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!! BEST EVENT EVER!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
One of the hardest study events though :twisted:
Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
-Elbert Hubbard
On the bright side, my events this year are: Anatomy, ELG, Solar System, and CJAP :D
Medal Count:16
slytherin

Post by slytherin »

Bilbo McSwaggins wrote:
slytherin wrote:I LOVE THIS EVENT SOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!! BEST EVENT EVER!! :D :D :D
One of teh hardest study events though :twisted:
OH MY GOD YES!!! SOOO HARD!!! Anyway, I have my State competition this Saturday.. SOOO SCARED :? :o Any last minute tips I might be able to use? Anything would be majorly appreciated. Oh, and this request is to anyone btw.
State:
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

slytherin wrote:
Bilbo McSwaggins wrote:
slytherin wrote:I LOVE THIS EVENT SOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!! BEST EVENT EVER!! :D :D :D
One of teh hardest study events though :twisted:
OH MY GOD YES!!! SOOO HARD!!! Anyway, I have my State competition this Saturday.. SOOO SCARED :? :o Any last minute tips I might be able to use? Anything would be majorly appreciated. Oh, and this request is to anyone btw.
LOL! I was literally right about to ask pretty much the same question. Any help would be greatly accepted as I feel pretty clueless at what to expect. I really don't understand how I somehow got 3rd at regionals.
DFTBA!
slytherin

Post by slytherin »

So my State competition was this last Saturday, and I was hoping to possibly help you all out with what to expect for State.
1.) It was put into a PowerPoint.
2.) Be able to identify everything on the list, because it would have a picture of a feature, then ask a few questions about it.
3.) Stay up to date with Solar System news. There was a question about something that happened in late February of 2015, sooo..
If anyone has any other questions feel free to ask.
State:
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

slytherin wrote:...
3.) Stay up to date with Solar System news. There was a question about something that happened in late February of 2015, sooo..
:lol: Anything is fair game, even if it happened the night before the tournament.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

Unome wrote:
slytherin wrote:...
:lol: Anything is fair game, even if it happened the night before the tournament.
This is majority of the time INCORRECT. I emphasize this because, especially for states/nats tests, they have to be made at least over the day before. If you're dealing with bad test writers (mostly rushed regionals writers I guess or invites writers that don't always have to try), okay, maybe the day before s/he takes something random from the news, but most of the time this just cannot happen. The tests are almost always printed the day before, and so the test has to at least be STARTED (basically finished) over a day before. It's very difficult to throw in a solid random question about the news like that...but you should still appreciate astronomy news when you can :). If by late Feb you mean the Dawn/New Horizons missions and their approaches, those are unimaginably appropriate for the event, so I think that would be fair game. If it was a random news fact...then idk, I stand by if you study and enjoy the event that won't be as bad as it could be.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

Return to “2015 Study Events”