Geologic Mapping C

pip_lil_pop2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Geologic Mapping C

Post by pip_lil_pop2 »

What do the rules mean by "bring...an equal-area projection stereonet with tracing paper and pin"?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

pip_lil_pop2 wrote:What do the rules mean by "bring...an equal-area projection stereonet with tracing paper and pin"?
As far as I can tell, they mean exactly that; I haven't yet competed, but whatever can be used for solving stereonet problems should work.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

pip_lil_pop2 wrote:What do the rules mean by "bring...an equal-area projection stereonet with tracing paper and pin"?
Tracing paper means basically relatively see through paper that you can write on. A pin means like http://www.eassecuritytags.com/uploads/pic/P02.jpg (I think they are available on staples or somewhere or something). Lastly, there are multiple types of stereonets for multiple purposes. Basically the rules specify to use the equal-area variety. If you google it, you should be able to look around and find something like http://magician.ucsd.edu/essentials/WebBook539x.png. Be careful to not print out some other type, and you should look it up yourself just to check that out (I just got first thing off google, silly me for not directly checking the site!).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Can anyone provide a link or two to some really helpful stereonet projection tutorials?
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

windu34 wrote:Can anyone provide a link or two to some really helpful stereonet projection tutorials?
There are some on the wiki.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Elastaro

Post by Elastaro »

This year's draft rules mentioned that we will need to bring a geological compass... Any suggestion as to which brand/model?
Thanks!
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Elastaro wrote:This year's draft rules mentioned that we will need to bring a geological compass... Any suggestion as to which brand/model?
Thanks!
It shouldn't matter too much. I wish I could get my hands on those draft rules...3 more weeks for me I guess. :(
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

I'm a bit surprised if it's worded as geologic compass...presumably the point is to have to either (less likely since then you'd just say "magnetic/directional") determine some general cardinal direction or (more likely) determine strike/dip/trend/plunge of some physical setup. Geological compasses can be quite expensive at 100s of dollars. But you can do the latter task with a protractor, a basic magnetic compass, perhaps some other cheap/easy stuff. I'd say yeah, just try and search around for the cheapest one.

Some examples are http://www.tmart.com/Plastic-Glass-Mult ... HwodpSID0A or http://www.miniinthebox.com/professiona ... 82123.html or http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1214303451 ... =82&chn=ps . Of course, if you got a $200 - $700 one like they might use at a university certainly it'd be more accurate...but that money as I said would be spent WAY better elsewhere.

There are probably even more elementary ones that may be fine depending on what it's supposed to be used for (can't say I've seen the official rules, so yeah). I'd say if you have a basic compass on hand just work with that. Some people might post on the forum, or they might post on soinc for some recommendations when the rules officially come out.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
cheshire
Division: C
State: OH

Post by cheshire »

windu34 wrote:Can anyone provide a link or two to some really helpful stereonet projection tutorials?
This series of youtube videos helped me a lot. There's 7 videos total I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCvqSsgyCS8

Return to “2015 Study Events”