Astronomy C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Astronomy C

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
tad_k_22

Re: Astronomy C

Post by tad_k_22 »

The sample exam for this year is now posted: http://www.aavso.org/science-olympiad-2015.

It should give you a hint on the new topics! I would use it as an introduction to the types of questions that might be asked, as I'm sure scioly.org's test exchange will have plenty of good practice tests.
Old Events:
Astronomy, Remote Sensing (Both Mars and Global Warming), Dynamic Planet (Oceanography/Earthquakes and Volcanoes), It's About Time, Technical Problem Solving, and I really don't want to count, but did fail at-Fermi Questions.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

www.soinc.org wrote:Astronomy (C) - Teams will demonstrate an understanding of the basic concepts of math and physics relating to stellar evolution and star and planet formation.
These users thanked the author bernard for the post:
Fyren (February 15th, 2021, 9:11 pm)
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
tanuagg13
Division: C
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Post by tanuagg13 »

For anyone that's gotten the rules yet: what are this year's DSO's?
2015 Events (Division C):
NJ States
Mission Possible -- 1st
It's About Time -- 4th
Cell Biology -- 5th
Montgomery Invitationals (NJ)
Cell Biology -- 4th
Mission Possible -- 2nd
It's About Time -- 2nd
Regionals (UCC, NJ)
Cell Biology -- 3rd
Codes and Algorithms -- 9th
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

tanuagg13 wrote:For anyone that's gotten the rules yet: what are this year's DSO's?
If you're clever you can already find them out ;). Eventually someone will probably update the wiki, for now just wait for the rules.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

syo_astro wrote:
tanuagg13 wrote:For anyone that's gotten the rules yet: what are this year's DSO's?
If you're clever you can already find them out ;). Eventually someone will probably update the wiki, for now just wait for the rules.
Skillful internet searches :)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
darkwinters
State: IL

Post by darkwinters »

Some of the objects, as they are on the rules sheet, refer to stars with exoplanets- are we meant to gather information on the exoplanets as well? (e.g. HR 8799 has an exoplanet, HR8799 b).
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

It would probably be a good idea to do so, as tests can ask questions about anything related to the Deep Space Objects, especially those that relate to the topic specifically. Generally, the more information you can find about the Deep Space Objects, the better; it takes a LOT to have too much information on them.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

darkwinters wrote:Some of the objects, as they are on the rules sheet, refer to stars with exoplanets- are we meant to gather information on the exoplanets as well? (e.g. HR 8799 has an exoplanet, HR8799 b).
I second east here. Not only would it probably be a good idea, but you most definitely should also try to gather as much as you can (if you want to be competitive, and if you want to learn more too of course). I think you should also look at the topic this year (star and planetary formation), and the other objects/portions of the rules. They should give you hints as for what would be good to note on the objects (you COULD spend a lot of time on variability, but is it necessarily the focus?).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
JT016

Post by JT016 »

Binder vs. Laptop:
I have been using a binder for the past two years, but I haven't been doing too well at competitions(party due to lack of practicing/studying, but that's a different story). I was thinking about taking a laptop to the competition this year, but I'd thought I'd ask what scioly.org believe is better. So, pros/cons of both methods?

Return to “2015 Study Events”