Astronomy C

windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Astronomy C

Post by windu34 »

Thanks guys! This helps alot. BTW I was in 6 events at regionals and states and i placed in at least half and did well in the rest. I am used to a full roster. Im not much of a laptop guy and prefer binders and sheet protectors, is the information in astro too much to compile in a binder?
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

windu34 wrote:Thanks guys! This helps alot. BTW I was in 6 events at regionals and states and i placed in at least half and did well in the rest. I am used to a full roster. Im not much of a laptop guy and prefer binders and sheet protectors, is the information in astro too much to compile in a binder?
Yeah, but what if you landed at nats ;). Sorry, it's just if I took on 5-6 events in NYS...idk how it is in FL, but I feel like it would start to take away from my schoolwork at that point >.>.

Many users on this forum and outside of it used laptops, but I actually am the one dude that walked in with a 5" binder ;). Tbh, for my first year I worked with a 3", and that can suffice if you know what you're doing. Also, don't buy sheet protectors for your binder...but I think you know that by now XD. The only thing is if you're using a 3" you'll definitely have to put together condensed notes rather than just having whole webpages copied and highlighted (what I could do...because 5" ).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

Haha you dont know me, but at school, im known as the sheet protector guy. I use sheet protectors on everything including my 700 page entomology binder.
It does take away from school work, but i start over summer so its not too bad.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

windu34 wrote:Haha you dont know me, but at school, im known as the sheet protector guy. I use sheet protectors on everything including my 700 page entomology binder.
It does take away from school work, but i start over summer so its not too bad.
Yeah, but all materials in the binder has to be 3-hole punched :P. Not that I'd DQ if you actually bothered to put sheet protectors on 700 pages...also, it seems like a waste of money/time when you could just stick it all in! Anyway, organizing methods that work for you work, cannot deny that.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
sherlock221SciOly
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by sherlock221SciOly »

What are some recommended textbooks for Astro?
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

sherlock221SciOly wrote:What are some recommended textbooks for Astro?
This exact question was asked and answered on the last page.
scioly49
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by scioly49 »

Are we allowed to use external hard drives with our laptops? Mine doesn't have much space left..
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by syo_astro »

scioly49 wrote:Are we allowed to use external hard drives with our laptops? Mine doesn't have much space left..
When the year starts you can send in a clarification. To be honest, if you do not have much space left you probably will need to clear it out at some point unless you're just biding time until you get another computer. You probably can get rid of some junk unless it's all games you "have to keep" or something. Beyond that, you could also just organize your notes A LOT, or you could make a binder that efficiently stores info as you need (unless you cannot print it all out).

Return to “2015 Study Events”