Cell Biology C

Celestite
Division: C
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cell Biology C

Post by Celestite »

Does cell bio go more in depth than AP Biology?
watermydoing14
State: WA

Post by watermydoing14 »

Celestite wrote:Does cell bio go more in depth than AP Biology?
My experience with any scioly event is that the more in depth you study, the better. It really depends on the test. Some tests may not go very in depth at all while some tests may have vary in depth questions. Covering all the material in AP Bio will give you a good base of knowledge for Cell Biology, but I would definitely study more in depth if you really want to do well in the event. Look at some practice cell bio tests and compare it to what you're learning in class.
2013~Designer Genes~Disease Detectives~Forensics~Remote Sensing
2014~Anatomy~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2015~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2016~Air Trajectory~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Protein Modeling~Robot Arm~Wright Stuff
Interlake High School
GO SAINTS!
Gearbox
State: PA

Post by Gearbox »

watermydoing14 wrote:
My experience with any scioly event is that the more in depth you study, the better. It really depends on the test. Some tests may not go very in depth at all while some tests may have vary in depth questions. Covering all the material in AP Bio will give you a good base of knowledge for Cell Biology, but I would definitely study more in depth if you really want to do well in the event. Look at some practice cell bio tests and compare it to what you're learning in class.
I agree, in my experience, AP bio is a good place to START. Then again, I feel like the stuff you will learn in the AP book and class is really just the tip of the iceberg. Anyway, good luck, and happy studying!!
2015 Events

Protein Modeling
Cell Biology
Disease Detectives
Chem Lab

boomvroomshroom
State: CA

Post by boomvroomshroom »

Gearbox wrote:
watermydoing14 wrote:
I agree, in my experience, AP bio is a good place to START. Then again, I feel like the stuff you will learn in the AP book and class is really just the tip of the iceberg. Anyway, good luck, and happy studying!!
In general best thing is to read the rules to kind of know what you'll have to study. An AP curriculum might not go in-depth in certain topics, and involve other cell bio related topics that aren't a focus for this year.
K-Meister
State: IN

Post by K-Meister »

Hey guys I just want to know is Campbell's biology a good book for this event?
watermydoing14
State: WA

Post by watermydoing14 »

K-Meister wrote:Hey guys I just want to know is Campbell's biology a good book for this event?
Short Answer: Yes

Long Answer: First of all, there's lots of editions of Campbell's biology book. The AP edition tends to go less in depth than the other editions, but if that's the textbook given to you by your school, then you'll be fine, just remember to supplement the knowledge from the textbook with information from the internet or other textbooks. Any biology textbook is also probably going to be helpful. The more textbooks you look at, the more you can be sure you are covering all the information you need to.
2013~Designer Genes~Disease Detectives~Forensics~Remote Sensing
2014~Anatomy~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2015~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Mission Possible
2016~Air Trajectory~Anatomy~Cell Biology~Experimental Design~Protein Modeling~Robot Arm~Wright Stuff
Interlake High School
GO SAINTS!
c-trast
State: NY

Post by c-trast »

K-Meister wrote:Hey guys I just want to know is Campbell's biology a good book for this event?
I recall reading from old Cell Bio threads (from like 2008?) that Campbell's was a very good book, and I saw other people on my team use it.

It should be very useful as a basis for your learning, but there are certainly topics that you'll have to Google...more obscure things. Cell Bio doesn't go too far off AP Bio, and of course Campbell's is a popular book for that course.

Could you medal with just Campbell's? Probably at regionals, and maybe states.

EDIT: basically what water in the post before mine said.
'16 Ward Melville

Hydrogeology, Protein Modeling, Remote Sensing (NYS Trial)
Regionals: -/1/3
Maples6
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by Maples6 »

To be honest, Campbell can probably answer at least half of the questions, no sweat. For the other half, I recommend reading Lehninger and Alberts.
c-trast
State: NY

Post by c-trast »

'16 Ward Melville

Hydrogeology, Protein Modeling, Remote Sensing (NYS Trial)
Regionals: -/1/3
fatcamels
State: NJ

Post by fatcamels »

Does anyone know the cell bio topics for 2016? Thanks!

Return to “2015 Study Events”