Crave the Wave B

SFNMMs
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Crave the Wave B

Post by SFNMMs »

[/quote]

1 and 3 refer to the Doppler effect.

For 2, see http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/l ... r-Addition and http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/l ... ubtraction[/quote]

Thank you for your help. :mrgreen:
acornbob

Post by acornbob »

Does anyone have any studying tips and/or links that might help? We are currently preparing for our state competition in Michigan.
Thanks
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink »

acornbob wrote:Does anyone have any studying tips and/or links that might help? We are currently preparing for our state competition in Michigan.
Thanks
After you have a firm enough grasp on the concepts, have some battle plan for as many different kinds of word problems as you can stand. Examples are easy to find in both print and on the Internet, but there's more out there than you could reasonably ever get through!
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

acornbob wrote:Does anyone have any studying tips and/or links that might help? We are currently preparing for our state competition in Michigan.
Thanks
Maybe look through the rules and see if there's anything you missed or didn't go in-depth to while you were studying. Remember, you have a whole binder!
Also, look through as many sample questions as you can find.
platinumfalcon
State: NJ

Post by platinumfalcon »

Hey all, I was checking out the Crave page at http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/2015_Test_Exchange#Crave_the_Wave, and the link to the Crave the Wave Practice Test 2009 Answers (the first test archived) is broken. I have hastily put together the answers to the test, which are in the hidden text below. Feel free to fix some answers, as there is a high likelyhood that some are wrong :P
[hide]
1. True
2. 2 seconds
3. 0.5 Hz
4. Destructive interference is when the crests of one wave line up with the troughs of the other wave. The amplitude is decreased.
5. Primary waves
5. A: wavelength; B: time; C: amplitude
6. B
7. Amplitude
8. Primary waves
9. B
10. Constructive interference is when the crests of one wave line up with the crests of the other. The amplitude is increased.
11. B
12. Period
13.C
14. B
15. Destructive interference
16. Gamma waves
17. UV radiation can help with many treatments for illnesses, but are harmful to the skin.
18. Thermal vision
19. B
[/hide]
Good luck to all going to NJ States tomorrow!
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Hide tags are used like this:

Code: Select all

[hide]TEXT|HIDDEN TEXT[/hide]
Please adjust your post accordingly, as we can all see the answers. 8-)
:lol:

EDIT: Also, I will check your answers now.
EDIT: Okay, I'm done:
1. True
2. 2.5/5=0.5
1/0.5=2 sec
The frequency of the wave is equal to the speed divided by the wavelength which is 0.5.
The period is the inverse of the frequency which is 2.
3. 0.5
4. Destructive interference is when waves combine where the resulting wave is smaller than the original waves
5. Primary waves
6. A: wavelength, B: distance, C: amplitude
7. B
8. amplitude
9. P-waves
10. B
11. Constructive interference is when waves combine where the resulting wave is bigger than the original waves
12. B
13. Period
14. C
15. B
16. Destructive Interference
17. Gamma
18. UV radiation is used in therapy, but it can damage the skin.
19. thermal-vision
20. B

The only differences I can see is that in 2), you did not explain your work, so you would get half-credit. In 6, B was distance. For destructive and constructive interference, the waves don't have to line up. They just have to make each other bigger/smaller. Also, your numbering is off. Well, now all you have to do is upload your answers to the test exchange... or I could do it for you.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Okay, I uploaded the answers for two tests. Feel free to look at the keys AFTER you finish the tests.
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

Just crashed a computer for the second time while working on Crave the Wave...and it's not even like I was studying in an extreme manner for either of them.

The first time was in a computer lab at my school, the week before my regionals. I was creating a table in Microsoft Word of the speed of sound in various media, and when I tried selecting all of the cells, the computer was just like "No, I don't think so..."

This time I wasn't even being as crazy as a table, just selecting some regular old text, but NOPE.
RontgensWallaby
State: GA

Post by RontgensWallaby »

Anyone going to Nationals, do you think studying interferometers might be a subject covered there? I've done some research on it and unfortunately there's so much available to learn in physics but only so much that the test is going to cover.
For some reason I have an odd feeling that the hands-on portion is going to cover an optical instrument for once. All of the other competitions were lazy and did something boring like Doppler Effect examples, but I know Nationals will be different.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it. - Niels Bohr
sciolycoach
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: WI

Post by sciolycoach »

First of all, thank you to all of you who competed in Crave the Wave this past weekend in Nebraska. I thoroughly enjoyed preparing, proctoring, and scoring the event and was very encouraged by the score distribution. Here are some GENERAL statistics (no information about specific teams will be released or provided by me, and you can get a copy of the test and key next fall on the test CD available for purchase from the national office)

The test was set up in 12 + 1 stations (one was done with all groups before the station work began). Students were given 4 minutes per station, which cut everything pretty close. There were a total of 159 points possible on the test. The stations included lab practical activities, other hands-on activities, conceptual questions, mathematics applications questions, and other application questions. I tried to make the test challenging but fair, and I was very pleased with the score distribution.

The high score was a 127.
The mean score was an 83.
The median score was a 90.
25% of the teams scored at least a 99
75% of the teams scored at least a 59
All of the teams scored at least a 25

The most difficult stations (by far) were the two earthquake stations; I suspect the students did not have enough time for those two stations, and while I suspected that may occur going in, I wanted to separate the teams. The top teams were able to plow through those stations, while others left them blank.

I am providing these statistics out of the "goodness of my heart" and I would NOT expect statistics like these from any other event supervisors. As a former SO student myself (but one who never was on a national-qualifying team) and a current coach (again, team has never qualified for nationals) I can understand the curiosity that many of you who competed may have, but I cannot release any more information.

I was particularly impressed with the very high level of sportsmanship I saw all day, including students loaning writing tools, being friendly to myself and others, and kids genuinely trying their best. You all should be very proud of your performance on Saturday, regardless of how the results ended up.

Again, it was my honor supervising this event and, as always, you student competitors surpassed my expectations and did quite well. Congratulations to all students on another very successful season! I hope everyone had fun and had a great experience, and I look forward to the opportunities and challenges that 2015-2016 will bring!

Andy Hamm
Crave the Wave 2015 National Event Supervisor
Andy Hamm
Boyceville Science Olympiad
Boyceville, WI

Return to “2015 Study Events”