Elastic Launched Glider B

Modeldad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Elastic Launched Glider B

Post by Modeldad »

I asked this question on SOINC rules clarification, but have not received a response. The rules state that ballast MAY be any malleable non-metallic substance. We are using a glob of epoxy on the nose of our glider for ballast. The reason being it doesn't dry out like clay and does not deform on impact. Is this legal? My interpretation is that glue is allowed for construction, and I just used a bunch of glue to hold the hook on the nose, and now I don't need additional ballast!

Thanks.
wlsguy
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by wlsguy »

My unofficial opinion. Since it is glue it, it should be legal.
My next question is, is it safe?
Obviously you don't want a hard, metal like, lump at the end of something being launched around the room. I think this was the intent of the requirements.
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink »

I just wanted to share that I got hit in the head with one of these things yesterday at a competition outside the demarcated event area. It was the most chance occurrence ever because I was a moving target...it was amusing for the people who saw it!
Modeldad

Post by Modeldad »

Since there is no requirement for the clay ballast to be on the front of the glider (e.g., covering the nose), I'm not sure if safety was the reason for it. The lip balm cap specification prevents sharp noses. My opinion for not allowing metallic ballast is to avoid teams using lead (hazardous substance). Any one have any experience with this in the past?
dragonmaster57

Post by dragonmaster57 »

Does anybody have any good links for Elastic Launched Glider?
wlsguy
State: OH

Post by wlsguy »

Modeldad wrote:Since there is no requirement for the clay ballast to be on the front of the glider (e.g., covering the nose), I'm not sure if safety was the reason for it. The lip balm cap specification prevents sharp noses. My opinion for not allowing metallic ballast is to avoid teams using lead (hazardous substance). Any one have any experience with this in the past?
I can definately say one of the reasons for no metal was to prevent sharp edges, points, pins, etc from being on the glider. Metal can be filed to a sharp edge and still meet the lip balm cap rule and is thereby prohibited. I have used sticky tack (poster putty, fun tack, etc) as ballast. It does not dry out, stays stuck to the glider and meets the ballast requirement. Most dollar stores have it for, well, a dollar.
Modeldad

Post by Modeldad »

Thanks, wlsguy.

Better safe than sorry, I'll check out the local dollar store.
SOCoach

Post by SOCoach »

What is the best method of adjusting the diameter of the circle the plane flies in? We need to make our plane fly in a larger circle. I would assume it involves the horizontal stab?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

SOCoach wrote:What is the best method of adjusting the diameter of the circle the plane flies in? We need to make our plane fly in a larger circle. I would assume it involves the horizontal stab?
This video describes one way of adjusting your plane to turn in a circle. I think you would angle the vertical stabilizer more or less to adjust the diameter of the circle.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs

Return to “2015 Build Events”