Robo-Cross B

mineturtle314
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Robo-Cross B

Post by mineturtle314 »

Sidvin wrote:Lol...my "robot" is a remote control car with a scooper at the front...and I got 3rd out of 40 schools?!?!?
idek how?!?!
You can technically have a really basic robot but if you practice a lot you can beat most other schools. Last year we made our robots very complicated but we realized that all we needed was practice.
Green Generation, Invasive Species, Can't Judge a Powder, and Meteorology.
Its amazing what a "hello" can lead to.
Robo-cross
Division: B
State: WA

Post by Robo-cross »

I have a question.
I have a vex and I am wondering if my partner and me can hand each other the remote during the run
Brandon
mjcox2000
Division: Grad
State: VA

Post by mjcox2000 »

Robo-cross wrote:I have a question.
I have a vex and I am wondering if my partner and me can hand each other the remote during the run
Brandon
Yes, that should definitely be allowed.
MIT ‘23
TJHSST ‘19
Longfellow MS

See my user page for nationals medals and event supervising experience.
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

While I (unofficially of course) don't see any reason you can't hand off the control to your partner, as a coach I have to ask why you'd want to?
Time is explicitly worth points this year, it will cost you time/points to hand off the controls.
Make sure the additional points you gain from handing off control are worth the cost in time.

Regards,
Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Melinda

Post by Melinda »

we want to switch the remote between our partners because he is good at picking up jugs and I am good at putting stuff in jugs
Thanks, Brandon
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

RR wrote: After doing the modifications for mounting the passive components on the robot the students started practicing. To our surprise there was design impact because of how the arm support was rearranged to make space for a platform to put passive components. Our practice scores were not looking good. A deterioration of 25% in scores. We still went with this new modification to an invitational last weekend where the ES asked the students to mount the passive parts on the robot before starting the run. The students obeyed. The scores achieved last weekend invitation were 25% less compared to our previous invitational. "Why would Event Supervisors persist with mounting passive parts on the robot at the start of the run?". The way I read the rules if passive components can seperate during the run of the robot, there is no rule preventing the seperation of passive and active components at the BEGINGING of the run inside the 28 cm cube. I did ask another question along these lines in the soinc:FAQ section. I didn't complain to the ES at the invitational or file an appeal either as these are merely to help teams fine tune their robot design which we are greatlful for. But now our Regionals is on Feb 28. It would be really good for our team (may be others) to get an answer from soinc:FAQ on this before our Regionals.
ps - Last year we had passive components NOT supported by robot at the begining of run (inside 30 cm cube) and we were allowed in Invitational or Regional or State. No Event Supervisor raised any issue with this.
If the passive component is not attached to the robot at the beginning of the run, in what sense is it part of the robot?
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

NOT official, as per usual...

In the same sense that, for example, a floormat is a part of the car, even though it isn't attached normally other than by gravity. And in the same sense that said floor mat doesn't stop being a part of the car just because you pick it up and set it next to the car.

I see no rule that explicitly requires the robot to be all in one piece at the start, simply that it must not separate into two or more ACTIVE pieces.

There may be a FAQ coming on this, but in the meantime, its all opinion.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
treeling
Division: C
State: CO

Post by treeling »

mineturtle314 wrote:
treeling wrote:Can anyone reply with the average score your getting on the runs?
About 468 out of 480 points. We usually miss 1 penny.
Is the max 480? We calculated one of our scores higher than that, but we might have done it wrong (I don't think we did though............)
2016 Scores
PMS Inv/Reg/State

Bio-Process 2/1/5
Disease 2/1/1
Invasive 1/1/1
Mission Possible -/1/1
Picture This 2/1/3

2017 Scores
Reg/State

Disease -/-
Invasive -/-
Robot Arm -/-
WIDI -/-
mjcox2000
State: VA

Post by mjcox2000 »

treeling wrote:
mineturtle314 wrote:
treeling wrote:Can anyone reply with the average score your getting on the runs?
About 468 out of 480 points. We usually miss 1 penny.
Is the max 480? We calculated one of our scores higher than that, but we might have done it wrong (I don't think we did though............)
FAQs wrote:[What is the maximum object score possible?]
456, no time points, no robot points, no penalties. All objects (pennies, legos, ping pong balls, tennis ball) in their maximum scoring position.
So with robot points, that would make the maximum score 471, and including time (assuming you did it in under a second and got the full 180 points), 651 points.
MIT ‘23
TJHSST ‘19
Longfellow MS

See my user page for nationals medals and event supervising experience.
seadog
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by seadog »

Oh wow!! Are people already scoring in the 400's!!?? :o :shock: :(

Return to “2015 Build Events”