Robo-Cross B

Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Re: Robo-Cross B

Post by Flavorflav »

kwinks wrote:
Flavorflav wrote:Oh, I understand the application of the ruling, I just don't see it as being allowable under the text of the original rules. Fortunately nobody tried it on Saturday. I honestly don't know what I'd do if a competitor produced something that they claimed was an email from soinc.
This is a bit concerning since every question we have asked this year was answered by email; not one of those questions has been posted on the Soinc site. In regards to the passive device, I couldn't agree with you more, Flavorflav.
The issue is that is would be fairly simple to construct something that looks just like an email from soinc which is not in actuality an email from soinc. There is no way to reliably tell the true from the counterfeit, and so I would have to think long and hard about what to do - and probably get the tournament director and/or the appeals committee involved.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Skink wrote:
kwinks wrote:
Flavorflav wrote:Oh, I understand the application of the ruling, I just don't see it as being allowable under the text of the original rules. Fortunately nobody tried it on Saturday. I honestly don't know what I'd do if a competitor produced something that they claimed was an email from soinc.
This is a bit concerning since every question we have asked this year was answered by email; not one of those questions has been posted on the Soinc site. In regards to the passive device, I couldn't agree with you more, Flavorflav.
E-mailed responses aren't tournament-enforceable since they're not covered by General Rule #3 (supported by the fact that they're not accessible to anyone except the individuals whom submitted them). My understanding of the system is that literally 'frequently' asked questions are the ones posted to the site as well as ones that might have reaching impact if answered and posted. Put another way, I've, myself, received an e-mail-only response when the question was, admittedly, mundane. It's hard to say if that generalizes, though, I suppose, without knowing what other questions folks are getting e-mailed back about.
Students should also check with their state organization. Some states, such as Virginia, do not use national FAQs (which I think they mean when they say national "clarifications") and some states have cutoffs for FAQs (for example, the any FAQs posted after March 3 are not binding at the New Jersey state tournament on March 10).

If there are any FAQs that are emailed but you think would affect a lot of teams, post about it here and I'll see if I can make someone aware of it so it is published.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
ThatRoboGuy
Division: C
State: OH
Been thanked: 0

Post by ThatRoboGuy »

Hello everyone. Just want to hop in with what I've seen so far in the event. We can clear the board for full points in 2:15 at best possible, and at our regionals we were second to a team who cleared the board for full points in a minute and a half. At nationals, you will basically need to clear the board in 90 seconds or less for a medal.
Here to help
1nxtmonster
Division: B
State: PA

Post by 1nxtmonster »

ThatRoboGuy wrote:Hello everyone. Just want to hop in with what I've seen so far in the event. We can clear the board for full points in 2:15 at best possible, and at our regionals we were second to a team who cleared the board for full points in a minute and a half. At nationals, you will basically need to clear the board in 90 seconds or less for a medal.
Our best so far is a score of 507. From what you have seen what mechanism is most used on successful robots? Claws? Buckets? Scoops with paddles?
RobotFamily

Post by RobotFamily »

Just joined this Forum, here is what my son's group built. It's a scope with sweeping doors. It's pretty effective. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns9rV1AgzPU .
GRC63

Post by GRC63 »

ThatRoboGuy wrote:Hello everyone. Just want to hop in with what I've seen so far in the event. We can clear the board for full points in 2:15 at best possible, and at our regionals we were second to a team who cleared the board for full points in a minute and a half. At nationals, you will basically need to clear the board in 90 seconds or less for a medal.
We have been scoring in the 525-540 range in practice, clearing the board in two minutes with a modified scoop, but then our state decided to award only 1/5 of a point for each unused second, so we only scored 489 at state, still good enough to win...
1nxtmonster

Post by 1nxtmonster »

RobotFamily wrote:Just joined this Forum, here is what my son's group built. It's a scope with sweeping doors. It's pretty effective. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns9rV1AgzPU .
Love the omni wheels! Did the robot use a microcontroller like an arduino/raspberry pi or something like a radio receiver? Our design is the same basic thing with the door and arms:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLCzIcu ... EXwwyfkYUQ

I'm not sure if your design allows for it, but something we found to be helpful was to extend the arms to make a funnel shape and then drive in a straight line and pin most of the objects to the wall where we can pick them quickly up. As of today our best score with that method is 540
runslikeajohndeere

Post by runslikeajohndeere »

Nice devices. We took 2nd and 4th but only because we took advantage of the time bonus. Hoping to score 350 or more at states to be in top half of field.
oshaughnessy
State: OH

Post by oshaughnessy »

GRC63 wrote:
We have been scoring in the 525-540 range in practice, clearing the board in two minutes with a modified scoop, but then our state decided to award only 1/5 of a point for each unused second, so we only scored 489 at state, still good enough to win...
What state made that rule change and at what level? What was their reasoning?
schist99centz
Division: C

Post by schist99centz »

What is the maximum score you can get if you use all of the 3 minutes (300 seconds)?

Return to “2015 Build Events”