Robo-Cross B

mjcox2000
Division: Grad
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Robo-Cross B

Post by mjcox2000 »

schist99centz wrote:Our best score so far is 499. We cleared the board in 2:32. Do any of you guys know if any team has got a score of 500 or more? Also, any ideas that would help cut down or time would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
In practice, my team has pretty consistently been getting 500-530; our best is 549. (At states yesterday, we messed up and got a 454, but that was good enough to place us first in Virginia.) We clear the entire board, unless when we're getting an object it flips out over the walls.
As far as improving your time, it totally depends on your robot. What sort of end effector do you have (i.e. scoop, claw, etc.)? How many degrees of freedom is your arm? What method do you use to flip the jugs? What's your strategy for moving objects? I'd say the most important thing, in general, is to practice as much as possible, but I might be able to offer more specific advice if I knew more about your robot.
MIT ‘23
TJHSST ‘19
Longfellow MS

See my user page for nationals medals and event supervising experience.
treeling
Division: C
State: CO

Post by treeling »

The average score I'm getting is about 445. Is that normal for you guys also?
2016 Scores
PMS Inv/Reg/State

Bio-Process 2/1/5
Disease 2/1/1
Invasive 1/1/1
Mission Possible -/1/1
Picture This 2/1/3

2017 Scores
Reg/State

Disease -/-
Invasive -/-
Robot Arm -/-
WIDI -/-
sailingful

Post by sailingful »

Question on Strategy:

Our team had tried many different design ideas and based on results of testing, our team settled on the "speed" design. No objects in a bucket, robot and tennis ball in zone D, but we were done in 3-4 seconds. It took about 8 weeks to build and finalize the design. The Illinois Science Olympiad changes the rules two weeks before the state competition to greatly reduce the time bonus and make our design not competitive. 90% of the robots we saw at state were vex kits with nearly the same design.

The philosophical question for next year is: Should we spend our time trying creative solutions that test the limits of our abilities and the rules or should we focus on the standard solution and just try to differentiate based on amount of practice?

The team has lots of energy, but limited time, so we are already talking about how to make best use of that time next year.
kwinks

Post by kwinks »

The venue for Robocross at Nats is a small gymnasium that will also host Wheeled Vehicle, and Scrambler. This doesn't seem like enough room to run multiple courses for each of them and there doesn't appear to be any seating/bleachers or balcony for spectators. Anyone heard anything about how they're going to make this work?
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

kwinks wrote:The venue for Robocross at Nats is a small gymnasium that will also host Wheeled Vehicle, and Scrambler. This doesn't seem like enough room to run multiple courses for each of them and there doesn't appear to be any seating/bleachers or balcony for spectators. Anyone heard anything about how they're going to make this work?
Many invites I've been to do this. As long as there aren't any flight events, it should work fine.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
ccc1314

Post by ccc1314 »

sailingful wrote:Question on Strategy:

Our team had tried many different design ideas and based on results of testing, our team settled on the "speed" design. No objects in a bucket, robot and tennis ball in zone D, but we were done in 3-4 seconds. It took about 8 weeks to build and finalize the design. The Illinois Science Olympiad changes the rules two weeks before the state competition to greatly reduce the time bonus and make our design not competitive. 90% of the robots we saw at state were vex kits with nearly the same design.

The philosophical question for next year is: Should we spend our time trying creative solutions that test the limits of our abilities and the rules or should we focus on the standard solution and just try to differentiate based on amount of practice?

The team has lots of energy, but limited time, so we are already talking about how to make best use of that time next year.
"Speeder" vs "Object Collector" strategies have been discussed a lot in earlier posts of this thread. The major grind about "Speeders" is that they don't appear to have even tried to deserve top places in competitions. Your post, however, provides a different perspective that tells that speeders may also have paid their dues. However, in all tournaments my team competed (6 or so), no speeder has ever come close to a top finish.

I agree with the rule writer's opinion ("how to get better from here") in earlier posts of the thread. Meanwhile, I can understand the "Ojbect Collector"'s grief and grinds about losing to average speeders that took "the easier route". I think, after all, it's my choice to deposit my money in any FDIC insured savings account earning 0.1% interest (or maybe 1.5% if I look hard), or to invest my hard-earned money, with a lot of research, in stocks with upside potential in double-digit as well as greater downside risks. Sometimes, unexpected events happen, and all my research in stock seems wasted, useless or even harmful. I curse myself that I could have just left the money in any bank, and spent my time at the beach instead of a study room . Or, maybe look harder to find that bank with 1.5% interest. Maybe I'll learn a few things about CD, or maybe US treasuries. At some point, I may learn about inflation, and start over with my stock research...

For people who don't know, IL has a "proprietary" rule that says any robot stops the run within 60 seconds can get at most 120 points. I appreciate the rule because I personally just do not enjoy watching those speed runs, even though it's their
choice and a fair game based on the rule. I am too slow to follow what just happened in those runs. Have you tried working on something that takes, say, 60 seconds to put 1 ping pong ball in each of the two jugs at Zone D? That would have given you 72 points. Then, continue working out from there.

At the first invitational we competed, I heard some spectators gasped "wow, that is a loop hole" when they saw the "Speeder" strategy. That's just how people feel about it in this kind of intense competitions. However, I never heard of it again since no speeder has ever come close to a top finish in these competitions (YMMV), and some speeders abandoned this strategy in later tournaments. Some "Objector Collector" teams initially performed poorly in the season compared to the average speeders. But, the "Object Collector" teams that keeps improving their robot design and practice soon outperformed the speeders in subsequent tournaments because they have a lot of upside to improve, and the speeder can be capped around lower 200 very early in the season. The first exercise I had my team to do is to work out these numbers on paper, and we decided to maximize the multipliers and collect easy objects as quickly as possible to beat the Speeder's strategy. I soon had to find other goals for the team.

As to your philosophical question for next year, I'd say "don't worry about it". Other more experienced SciOly veteran may chime in, but Robocross is at its 2nd year (consecutively) and something else may take its place next year. Robocross ran 2008-2009, then gave way to other (same category?) events for 4 years. Having said that, many previous winners on this thread have been giving advices, "practice, practice, practice". No matter what design/solution you have. Standard or not. Not only your team gets better at it, you can also find areas for improvements through repeated practices. My team never took the same robot to our next tournament. There are always some changes here or there. After all, an investor's goal should be to maximize the investment return. If the investment needs to be a plain vanila stock, so be it. If you find the maximum return (with the same risk) in some complex and creative financial derivatives, so be it. If your team still has a lot of energy, there are some robot specific competitions. You may even consider Vex competitions ;-) The parts may appear similar, especially with that signature claw, but the "guts" can be very different. I watched more than 50% of Robocross runs at IL state tournaments, and could not agree with your comments about 90% of them being similar Vex designs.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers!
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Goodness, someone who GOT IT about the time rule! May I share that with some of the SO management who don't read this forum?

As to next year, UNOFFICIALLY, and not finally decided till after the national tournament and whatever other caveats I haven't thought of.
Robocross is expected to phase OUT of div B with no robot event returning for a couple of years.
Robot Arm is expected to return to div C for a couple of years.
And of course there is risk that will change, though I think low in a gross sense.

I will say when you see the rules, read them CLOSELY! Don't assume they are the same as when you last saw them or that the purpose/goals are the same. Like the team above, analyze them CAREFULLY and expect that there will be tradeoffs. I'm an engineer, I have to make tradeoffs all the time to optimize results. Its inherent to my job. I intentionally write them into the rules. I hope I don't hide them, even if I don't tell you how to solve them.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
pkadiri
Division: B
State: MI

Post by pkadiri »

we posted this FAQ on SOINC.ORG and waiting to be answered.

Sction6, para(B), sub para(iv), the rules states that "A 3x bonus will apply to any object in or FULLY supported by the Bonus jug if the opening facing UP"

We are using some kind of container to collect the objects. If we couldn't able to fit the container in the bonus jug to fall inside the jug (may be jug opening might be smaller or for various reasons), but the container stood on the Bonus jug(facing up) in Zone D. As the container with objects is FULLY supported by the Bonus jug, will we get 3x bonus points as per rule in SO manual?? . Thank you
schist99centz
Division: C
State: PA

Post by schist99centz »

Does anyone have an idea of how many scores of 500+ there will be at this year's National Tournament? Thanks!
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

schist99centz wrote:Does anyone have an idea of how many scores of 500+ there will be at this year's National Tournament? Thanks!
Considering that there were seventeen perfect scores last year, and the object scoring has become more difficult, I would estimate a prefect from last year to correlate approximately with a 400 from object score this year. With the time added in, however, I'd guess about 10 scores of 500+ at Nationals (Since you know this event, here's the link from last year's Nationals scores posted on scioly.org)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2015 Build Events”