Robo-Cross B

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Robo-Cross B

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
1nxtmonster
Division: B
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Re: Robo-Cross B

Post by 1nxtmonster »

Eagerly waiting for my copy of the rules to come...

Does anyone know when the app will come out for android or apple?
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

1nxtmonster wrote:Eagerly waiting for my copy of the rules to come...

It says 9/15/14 on the soinc homepage.
1nxtmonster
State: PA

Post by 1nxtmonster »

John Richardsim wrote:
1nxtmonster wrote:Eagerly waiting for my copy of the rules to come...

It says 9/15/14 on the soinc homepage.

Thanks.
Robo-cross
State: WA

Post by Robo-cross »

Hi
I'm looking to buy a robot and I was considering the vex
Does anyone have suggestions of what I should buy
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

Our family has done well with our Vex that we got about 2008 or so.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

The Vex is certainly a very capable starting point, but kind of pricey.
The best robots I've seen that used VEX only used it as a starting point, but had significant custom modifications.
If price is a consideration, you might want to start with something simpler. You can get a lot of points with a simple RC car and a dozer blade. Add a remote arm gives more points. Simple/clever custom attachments can get perfect or near perfect scores. I saw perfect scores last year with that kind of solution. Total investment in the $100 range.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Robo-cross
State: WA

Post by Robo-cross »

I used mind storms last year
What about rokenbok
UQOnyx
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by UQOnyx »

A message for all Robo-Cross Participants
Robo-cross is a very costly event, first of all. If you aren't careful, you can easily blow a thousand dollars on products you won't even be using. VEX though seems very costly due to the immediate cost at something like $500, it is a very good investment. Most likely if you buy the better kit, there will be no more purchases needed.
However, if you want a more compounded, customizable approach, be very careful. Make sure that you definitely need the products that you are buying. Buy a rover/car, and buy an arm. We used lynxmotion for both the rover, and lynx brackets for the servo arm. Make sure everything is compatible. I'm going to emphasize this by repeating it. Make sure everything is compatible. Every single time you buy something, double check, is this compatible with its immediate partner (for example, is this servo bracket compatible with this servo?). Check and double check. If you have any doubts at all, don't hesitate to call customer service. Believe it or not, they are pretty well informed on their products. Once you are at checkout and have gathered your list of products, check for the upteenth time. Your servos and brackets might be compatible, but what if they don't properly plug into your controller? Make sure everything is better than perfect. Remember Murphy's Law. And remember, problems will ALWAYS arise. Figure them out quickly and make sure you adhere to the rules.
I've heard people say that Robo-Cross is 50% construction and 50% practice. Not entirely true. Robo-Cross is 25% construction and more than 75% practice ;) . Get construction out of the way as soon as possible. Remember, you have a limited time to practice and a limited time to build. If you follow this, I guarantee you will save money, and perform better. Don't worry about a perfect score, until you actually have a score to work with.
Thanks,
Noor-ul-Iman School

2012 Events:
Forestry
Storm The Castle

2013 Events:
Boomilever
Shock Value
Forestry

I know the voices aren't real, but they have some great ideas..
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Let me disagree some with the last poster, partially. Robocross does NOT need to be an expensive event in the $1000 range. Yes, you CAN spend that much, but you don't need to. Last year I saw several very successful robots that had FAR less invested. Including perfect runs.

BUT, it does require creativity, knowledge and thought to do it cheaply. Thinking of out of the box solutions.

I will agree almost everything else the poster said. Practice with whatever system you come up with is VERY important. Get something working quick and try things out.

Regards,

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

Return to “2015 Build Events”