Robo-Cross B

retired1
Division: Grad
State: FL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Robo-Cross B

Post by retired1 »

I was a bit surprised that it was that wide. It is probably wide for stability. Commercial lifts have outriggers.
The steel is not easy to cut, but aircraft cutters (-a form of metal snips) can cut it to near the 90 degree bends and then you can bend it to break it. An option is to use a hack saw with the finest teeth that you can get. This is a bit slow. I use a rotary tool with a metal cutting blade. Bigger than a moto tool or dremmel or you will go thru a lot of blades.

Before you cut anything, lay it out on grid paper to make sure that the cut down size parts will fit and not spoil something.
dougleppard

Post by dougleppard »

I am a coach for a Orlando FL team. I have no robo-cross experience. I do have extensive FIRST FRC robots (high school college level) with 130 lb robots.

We are building a VEX robot from kits I have (older version).

What recommendations do you have to help the kids?

Where do I go for any additional information?

Also I noticed that the page "Tournament Student Self Check List" said the robot is 30cm cube but rules say 28cm cube, obviously the rules are the final say.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Doug
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

Hi Doug,

Your First robot experience will go a long way. Three of my four kiddos have competed in robocross.

1) Read the rules carefully and see what variables are "built in" - this year one variable is "gallon jug" so we're practicing with several different ones.
2) Make sure the partners communicate well during the run. If they are having a hard time (as middle schoolers can...) help them develop a succinct vocab to use during the run.
3) Do try several different strategies. At one extreme is "pick up this object and deposit it in its final place and go get the next one" and the other extreme is "pick up everything and deposit all at once." In the middle is "pick up these three, dump them, get those two, dump them." Robots vary in speed and carrying capacity (now I sound like an ecology coach...). Find which works the best for you. Decide which objects to go for first. By tournament time, each partner should know his or her role quite well and be able to handle surprises pretty well.
4) Create a first aid kit with what you might need for tournament day repairs (fresh batteries, wire, electrical tape, whatever).

All really obvious, I know.

Oh, last year the cube was 30 cm, so what you read saying 30 cm just didn't get updated. You are correct that this year it's 28 cm
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

PS. We have an old VEX kit too, it's about a 2008 one. It has always worked out well for us.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
Eggo
Division: C
State: CA

Post by Eggo »

I feel that VEX kits are very reliable, and our team always uses them.
Anatomy, Disease Detectives, Circuit Lab, Mousetrap Vehicle
Medal Count: 51
dougleppard

Post by dougleppard »

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't see it until now.

Got the bot built now it is lots of practice. With two jugs it is a lot harder and with pennies being so small also is harder it seems than previous years.

BTW in tournament is it only one run or is it best of 3 runs or something like that?
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Check the rules for yourself (I'm going from memory due to hard drive crash), not official, if really not sure submit a question to NSO website, etc...

One run, no practice time.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Robo-Control

Post by Robo-Control »

In the new rules, it now has a new scoring system. It also counts time. It states in "6.Scoring c.If a team has scored at least one point by moving objects, it must also receive 1 point for each second between the stop time and the maximum 180 second time." I've been thinking of a technique that if you move in a counter clock-wise movement, A-B to B-C to C-D, with your robot, you still move the items into zone C or D which follows the rule I stated. So, then my question is does my technique still allow me to have the (180-Run Time) score?
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Not official forum, so not official answer, other opinions may differ, read the rules carefully yourself, if you want an official answer submit it through the FAQ process on the National webpage www.soinc.org, etc, etc...

Sounds to me like you met the conditions of the rule.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
msamclaren

Post by msamclaren »

I know the rules on the robo-cross state there will be 4 stacks of 4 pennies. I was wondering if the penny stacks would be taped or be free to fall once they are hit.

Return to “2015 Build Events”