Wheeled Vehicle B

Panda Weasley
Division: C
Has thanked: 0

Re: Wheeled Vehicle B

Post by Panda Weasley »

bernard wrote: Yes, those are the details I was looking for. I've noticed that a thinner axle runs for longer. I haven't done a ton of tests on this, but my 0.125" diameter axle works much better than my 0.25" diameter axle from last year. If you use a thinner axle, maybe 0.125" diameter, you would probably want to switch materials so the axle is rigid (but this would depend on how long the axle is. I got my axles from Servocity, and they can be found under shafts.
Okay thank you so much!
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
InfiniCuber
State: IN
Been thanked: 0

Post by InfiniCuber »

Panda Weasley wrote:
bernard wrote:
Panda Weasley wrote:Hi, my friends doing wheeled vehicle and need help. They are having trouble getting their car to go the correct distance. At the moment the farthest it has gone is 10 m. Does anyone have any advice?
If the issue you are asking about is it not going far enough, your friends should consider making their car lighter. How heavy is it? My vehicle for Scrambler is about 450g which can be much lighter, which would allow it to run for longer. From my experience doing vehicle events, the smoothness of the axle's rotations also affects how long it can rotate for. Could your friends describe the setup of their axle and how it fits in the vehicle? This year I'm using a 0.125" diameter axle which fit in holes just a bit larger and it can rotate for a lot longer than when I did it with a 0.25" diameter axle.
Thank you bernard for your help! They have a wooden dowel 1/2 in. in diameter going through 3/4 in. hole that is in a thin piece of wood attached to the frame of the car. Is that what you meant? Thanks again!
If I understand what you are describing correctly, it might also be that there may be way too much friction from the dowel and the wood for the hole for it to go far enough. Is what you are describing (the dowel) the axle itself?
Scioly isn't a club, or an organization. It is a lifestyle.
~Munster High School Science Olympiad Captain 2016~
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

InfiniCuber wrote:
Panda Weasley wrote:
Panda Weasley wrote:Hi, my friends doing wheeled vehicle and need help. They are having trouble getting their car to go the correct distance. At the moment the farthest it has gone is 10 m. Does anyone have any advice?
Thank you bernard for your help! They have a wooden dowel 1/2 in. in diameter going through 3/4 in. hole that is in a thin piece of wood attached to the frame of the car. Is that what you meant? Thanks again!
If I understand what you are describing correctly, it might also be that there may be way too much friction from the dowel and the wood for the hole for it to go far enough. Is what you are describing (the dowel) the axle itself?
Yes, the dowel is the axle.
DFTBA!
InfiniCuber
State: IN

Post by InfiniCuber »

Panda Weasley wrote:
InfiniCuber wrote:If I understand what you are describing correctly, it might also be that there may be way too much friction from the dowel and the wood for the hole for it to go far enough. Is what you are describing (the dowel) the axle itself?
Alright, so I agree with Bernard, trying small axles might help. But perhaps there is too much friction and switching to a shaft or thread rod with bearings like pillow blocks or something might be worth it for the speed and for the smoothness, which will allow you to go much faster!
Scioly isn't a club, or an organization. It is a lifestyle.
~Munster High School Science Olympiad Captain 2016~
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

InfiniCuber wrote:
Panda Weasley wrote:
InfiniCuber wrote:If I understand what you are describing correctly, it might also be that there may be way too much friction from the dowel and the wood for the hole for it to go far enough. Is what you are describing (the dowel) the axle itself?
Alright, so I agree with Bernard, trying small axles might help. But perhaps there is too much friction and switching to a shaft or thread rod with bearings like pillow blocks or something might be worth it for the speed and for the smoothness, which will allow you to go much faster!
Okay, I'll let them know! Thanks for the help!
DFTBA!
SOCoach

Post by SOCoach »

I apologize if this has been posted earlier . . . but I would assume reading the rules that a laser pointer is not allowed as a sighting device on Wheeled Vehicle?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

SOCoach wrote:I apologize if this has been posted earlier . . . but I would assume reading the rules that a laser pointer is not allowed as a sighting device on Wheeled Vehicle?
Correct, electrical aligning devices are prohibited by rule 3.i..
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
SOCoach

Post by SOCoach »

Okay - so laser pointers are allowed for Air Trajectory (if taken off before launch), NOT allowed for Wheeled Vehicle. Thanks!
manishee

Post by manishee »

Is it okay to access the track for alignment use a string and measuring tape. Is it okay to place some thing on track to aim the vehicle. We can remove this aiming device before the launch.

Please advise if this within rules.

Thanks,

Manishee
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

manishee wrote:Is it okay to access the track for alignment use a string and measuring tape. Is it okay to place some thing on track to aim the vehicle. We can remove this aiming device before the launch.

Please advise if this within rules.

Thanks,

Manishee

Rule 5.f. says teams can measure the track.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Return to “2015 Build Events”