Agreed! STOP SOLON!!
DESTROY THEM!!!
P.S. Springhouse is awesome
SOCoach
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wheeled Vehicle B

Post by SOCoach »

Does anyone have the Wheeled Vehicle checklist sheet? I tried downloading it from the National Page but when I click the link it comes up ELG. Am I doing something wrong or did they mess up the National Page?
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL

Post by Skink »

It works for me. Try this. If it still doesn't work, myself or someone else can probably get it to you through Goodle Docs, Dropbox, or other means!
TourmalineKitty
Division: B
State: CA

Post by TourmalineKitty »

Wait, I have a late start on Wheeled Vehicle, and how do I make it go around the #10 can!? I have no idea.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

TourmalineKitty wrote:Wait, I have a late start on Wheeled Vehicle, and how do I make it go around the #10 can!? I have no idea.
Your vehicle will turn if you set your two axles at different angles. One way of doing this is making a 'hinge' between the front and back axles. You could do this by making your vehicle as two halves and connecting them with a single screw in the middle. Then you can loosen the screw, adjust the angle to one that works, and tighten it again. Since the track is far, the angle needed for the turn will probably be small.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
InfiniCuber
State: IN

Post by InfiniCuber »

bernard wrote:
TourmalineKitty wrote:Wait, I have a late start on Wheeled Vehicle, and how do I make it go around the #10 can!? I have no idea.
Your vehicle will turn if you set your two axles at different angles. One way of doing this is making a 'hinge' between the front and back axles. You could do this by making your vehicle as two halves and connecting them with a single screw in the middle. Then you can loosen the screw, adjust the angle to one that works, and tighten it again. Since the track is far, the angle needed for the turn will probably be small.
Also, angling the whole car itself will help achieve the nice curve around the can and back to the mid line you want!
Scioly isn't a club, or an organization. It is a lifestyle.
~Munster High School Science Olympiad Captain 2016~
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

Hi, my friends doing wheeled vehicle and need help. They are having trouble getting their car to go the correct distance. At the moment the farthest it has gone is 10 m. Does anyone have any advice?
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Panda Weasley wrote:Hi, my friends doing wheeled vehicle and need help. They are having trouble getting their car to go the correct distance. At the moment the farthest it has gone is 10 m. Does anyone have any advice?
If the issue you are asking about is it not going far enough, your friends should consider making their car lighter. How heavy is it? My vehicle for Scrambler is about 450g which can be much lighter, which would allow it to run for longer. From my experience doing vehicle events, the smoothness of the axle's rotations also affects how long it can rotate for. Could your friends describe the setup of their axle and how it fits in the vehicle? This year I'm using a 0.125" diameter axle which fit in holes just a bit larger and it can rotate for a lot longer than when I did it with a 0.25" diameter axle.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Panda Weasley

Post by Panda Weasley »

bernard wrote:
Panda Weasley wrote:Hi, my friends doing wheeled vehicle and need help. They are having trouble getting their car to go the correct distance. At the moment the farthest it has gone is 10 m. Does anyone have any advice?
If the issue you are asking about is it not going far enough, your friends should consider making their car lighter. How heavy is it? My vehicle for Scrambler is about 450g which can be much lighter, which would allow it to run for longer. From my experience doing vehicle events, the smoothness of the axle's rotations also affects how long it can rotate for. Could your friends describe the setup of their axle and how it fits in the vehicle? This year I'm using a 0.125" diameter axle which fit in holes just a bit larger and it can rotate for a lot longer than when I did it with a 0.25" diameter axle.
Thank you bernard for your help! They have a wooden dowel 1/2 in. in diameter going through 3/4 in. hole that is in a thin piece of wood attached to the frame of the car. Is that what you meant? Thanks again!
DFTBA!
Events 2019: Forensics and Fossils
Proud member of Teh Ento Cult.
:ugeek:
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Panda Weasley wrote:
bernard wrote:
Thank you bernard for your help! They have a wooden dowel 1/2 in. in diameter going through 3/4 in. hole that is in a thin piece of wood attached to the frame of the car. Is that what you meant? Thanks again!
Yes, those are the details I was looking for. I've noticed that a thinner axle runs for longer. I haven't done a ton of tests on this, but my 0.125" diameter axle works much better than my 0.25" diameter axle from last year. If you use a thinner axle, maybe 0.125" diameter, you would probably want to switch materials so the axle is rigid (but this would depend on how long the axle is. I got my axles from Servocity, and they can be found under shafts.

Return to “2015 Build Events”