Wheeled Vehicle B

SOCoach
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wheeled Vehicle B

Post by SOCoach »

I apologize if this has been posted earlier . . . but I would assume reading the rules that a laser pointer is not allowed as a sighting device on Wheeled Vehicle?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

SOCoach wrote:I apologize if this has been posted earlier . . . but I would assume reading the rules that a laser pointer is not allowed as a sighting device on Wheeled Vehicle?
Correct, electrical aligning devices are prohibited by rule 3.i..
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
SOCoach

Post by SOCoach »

Okay - so laser pointers are allowed for Air Trajectory (if taken off before launch), NOT allowed for Wheeled Vehicle. Thanks!
manishee

Post by manishee »

Is it okay to access the track for alignment use a string and measuring tape. Is it okay to place some thing on track to aim the vehicle. We can remove this aiming device before the launch.

Please advise if this within rules.

Thanks,

Manishee
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

manishee wrote:Is it okay to access the track for alignment use a string and measuring tape. Is it okay to place some thing on track to aim the vehicle. We can remove this aiming device before the launch.

Please advise if this within rules.

Thanks,

Manishee

Rule 5.f. says teams can measure the track.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
brianv
Division: B
State: CA

Post by brianv »

:oops: I understand that it is preferred to build the vehicle as wide as rules allow but I don't understand why. I understand as long as the rules allow but not the width. Would someone please enlighten me? Thank you.
may f-ma be with you

Post by may f-ma be with you »

Hey guys,
So this is my first time so help me out. I am trying to build a new vehicle and want to know the secret to go as fast as possible. Right now my vehicle is going at around 3 seconds. I used elastic to propel last year and at nationals got top 20. I want to know how to harness the elastic to go faster than two seconds. Also what type of elastic should I use. I used elastic that is like a really stretched out rubber band and need a new idea. Also is there any suggestions on how to harness bearings and how to attach them on to my vehicle as I have a lot of problems when I try to do that. What type of elastic should I use? I have heard about surgical tubing but I want to know what gives the most force and is easy to attach to my drive axle.

Thanks Guys,
and May the F=MA be with you!
dragonfruit35
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by dragonfruit35 »

may f-ma be with you wrote:Hey guys,
So this is my first time so help me out. I am trying to build a new vehicle and want to know the secret to go as fast as possible. Right now my vehicle is going at around 3 seconds. I used elastic to propel last year and at nationals got top 20. I want to know how to harness the elastic to go faster than two seconds. Also what type of elastic should I use. I used elastic that is like a really stretched out rubber band and need a new idea. Also is there any suggestions on how to harness bearings and how to attach them on to my vehicle as I have a lot of problems when I try to do that. What type of elastic should I use? I have heard about surgical tubing but I want to know what gives the most force and is easy to attach to my drive axle.

Thanks Guys,
First of all, congrats on the top 20 at Nats last year! In answer to your question, my partner and I use really long (I think 7 inch) rubber bands to power our vehicle, and it goes pretty fast. However, at tournaments I've noticed several devices that utilize fishing poles as power. I believe they wind the string around the axle, which bends the fishing pole. That gives tension to the string. As for bearings, what is your car made of? There are a few methods I can think of that might work.
tjhsst '20
virginia tech '24
2x codebusters national medalist

"it's not a pen, it's a principle!" - annie edison
may f-ma be with you

Post by may f-ma be with you »

dragon_fruit35 wrote:
may f-ma be with you wrote:Hey guys,

Thanks Guys,
First of all, congrats on the top 20 at Nats last year! In answer to your question, my partner and I use really long (I think 7 inch) rubber bands to power our vehicle, and it goes pretty fast. However, at tournaments I've noticed several devices that utilize fishing poles as power. I believe they wind the string around the axle, which bends the fishing pole. That gives tension to the string. As for bearings, what is your car made of? There are a few methods I can think of that might work.

So my car is made of aluminum angled like a L. I have heard of premounted bearings inside bearings but I want to use my own as they are really good. Right now I use two fishing poles but I know I can go faster with elastic. Where did you get your rubber bands from?
Mister O

Post by Mister O »

We're using 3/16" silicone fuel tubing and running in the middle two second range. The elastic easily overcomes the traction of the tires so we opted for a weaker but longer power stroke. By anchoring the tubing just in front of the rear axle and then running it to a roller pivot just behind the front axle where it attaches to a cord that runs back to the rear axle. As the axle is wound the tubing is stretched almost the full length of the chassis. By staying under power longer, we get better run times. Here's an early run, they've since got it down into the 2:50's: https://youtu.be/l_7BuyjG3Gg

Return to “2015 Build Events”