Scrambler C

absolutezero
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scrambler C

Post by absolutezero »

In attaching dowel to hold the egg, is it OK to drill a hole through the backstop and stick the dowel through the hole? I know the rules say "no holes" in the backstop but, with the dowel going through the "hole", I would think that the end result is that there isn't a hole? If that is not allowed, I guess I could glue the dowels but I just don't think that is very secure.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

absolutezero wrote:In attaching dowel to hold the egg, is it OK to drill a hole through the backstop and stick the dowel through the hole? I know the rules say "no holes" in the backstop but, with the dowel going through the "hole", I would think that the end result is that there isn't a hole? If that is not allowed, I guess I could glue the dowels but I just don't think that is very secure.
I did that last year and this year (so far I've been to one invitational) and didn't have problems with construction violates (though its hard to tell that I had drilled holes for the dowels since my backstop rested against my ETV with part of it covered). What we are doing does involve making holes in the backstop at some point in time, but those holes are eventually filled dowels.

As always, Scioly.org is not the place for official FAQs. Official FAQs are only on the official Science Olympiad website here, where you can submit your own questions.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
goodcheer
Division: B
State: KY

Post by goodcheer »

absolutezero wrote:In attaching dowel to hold the egg, is it OK to drill a hole through the backstop and stick the dowel through the hole? I know the rules say "no holes" in the backstop but, with the dowel going through the "hole", I would think that the end result is that there isn't a hole? If that is not allowed, I guess I could glue the dowels but I just don't think that is very secure.

We sent in a FAQ about that, but got no response. If you look closely at the rule, it seems the portion of the backstop which contacts the egg is the part that is not to have holes, in my opinion. Although there should be no unfilled holes as you say. The picture of the egg support on the official website shows dowel rods connected as you describe. Might be a good idea to take a copy of that with you to prevent any doubts about it.
absolutezero

Post by absolutezero »

We sent in a FAQ about that, but got no response. If you look closely at the rule, it seems the portion of the backstop which contacts the egg is the part that is not to have holes, in my opinion. Although there should be no unfilled holes as you say. The picture of the egg support on the official website shows dowel rods connected as you describe. Might be a good idea to take a copy of that with you to prevent any doubts about it.
Thanks bernard and goodcheer! I agree that the spirit of the rule is that the part of the backstop that contacts the egg is not to have holes. I've shown the diagram to several people, including the coach, and received mixed opinions as to whether the first picture on the website shows the back of the support (in which case clearly shows the drilled holes) or a direct front shot. We've all seem to conclude that they wouldn't show the front twice so it must be the back!!

Hopefully they will answer your FAQ - I sent one this weekend also but have had little luck in the past as to getting an actual response.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

absolutezero wrote: Hopefully they will answer your FAQ - I sent one this weekend also but have had little luck in the past as to getting an actual response.
We do eventually answer all FAQs. Keep in mind that multiple people are involved in the process of responding, almost all of which volunteer to do this in addition to their normal jobs and involvement with their own teams / tournaments / etc. We get tons of FAQs this time of year, so it takes us a while to get through them all. A couple week delay is not uncommon unfortunately.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
28builder

Rules /violation ?

Post by 28builder »

first i am a dad helping my son and apologize in advance if this has alreay been asked. i read rules about not going outside track or it is a violation. question. if run number 1 goes just outside or touches the left side of the track and didnt hit the cab and also assuming the egg is not cracked. does the student get a second run? if in this situation the student has a sucessful second run , are they still tiered for goin outside on the first run
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Rules /violation ?

Post by bernard »

28builder wrote:first i am a dad helping my son and apologize in advance if this has alreay been asked. i read rules about not going outside track or it is a violation. question. if run number 1 goes just outside or touches the left side of the track and didnt hit the cab and also assuming the egg is not cracked. does the student get a second run? if in this situation the student has a sucessful second run , are they still tiered for goin outside on the first run
The only criteria that I see would prohibit a second run is in 4.m. - if the egg is cracked. So what you described would count as a failed run but would still allow another run (if it was your first run).
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
goodcheer
Division: B
State: KY

Post by goodcheer »

28builder wrote:first i am a dad helping my son and apologize in advance if this has alreay been asked. i read rules about not going outside track or it is a violation. question. if run number 1 goes just outside or touches the left side of the track and didnt hit the cab and also assuming the egg is not cracked. does the student get a second run? if in this situation the student has a sucessful second run , are they still tiered for goin outside on the first run

I might be missing something but the rules don't mention how wide the track is to be, but that space is needed on both sides to allow for error in the Scrambler's path (paragraph 3, line 2). Although the width is not specified, there is to be tape marking the track width lines (3.a). This probably accounts for different venues. If the ETV touches the Track Width Lines, it is a Competition Violation with a penalty of 1000 points (rules 4.L and 5.e). Note there are no tiers for placement, only penalty points. The first run would not be very good due to the penalty, so it would likely be your "non-scored run." You would still get a second run and if it is penalty free, it would likely count as your best run. If I am reading this correctly, you get two runs and the better one is scored.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

goodcheer wrote:

I might be missing something but the rules don't mention how wide the track is to be, but that space is needed on both sides to allow for error in the Scrambler's path (paragraph 3, line 2). Although the width is not specified, there is to be tape marking the track width lines (3.a). This probably accounts for different venues. If the ETV touches the Track Width Lines, it is a Competition Violation with a penalty of 1000 points (rules 4.L and 5.e). Note there are no tiers for placement, only penalty points. The first run would not be very good due to the penalty, so it would likely be your "non-scored run." You would still get a second run and if it is penalty free, it would likely count as your best run. If I am reading this correctly, you get two runs and the better one is scored.
The track width is described in 2.b.: "within a 2.00 track width."
chinesesushi
Division: C
State: CA

Post by chinesesushi »

This actually happened at the MIT invitational and although the team received a penalty, they were allowed another run. So I would say yes, since the the person running the MIT invitational Scrambler also ran Scrambler at New York and Nationals last year.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.

Return to “2015 Build Events”