Scrambler C

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA

Re: Scrambler C

Post by bernard » March 21st, 2015, 4:39 pm

earthsciteach wrote:I'm curious how others are interpreting the bonus for 2015. We interpreted the bonus to be passing between the can and the track boundary (to the left of the can as you look down the track from the launch end of the track). This requires the car to follow a curved path. The people running the event at our regional competition interpreted it as "passing the can to the car's left," or simply, not hitting the can while going in a straight line.

I don't understand how a bonus could be simply not hitting a can that is offset to one side of the track. But, the specs are ambiguous in their wording. They state, "…the entire ETV successfully passes the can on its left…" So, does "its" refer to the can or to the car? How do you interpret that?

Thanks!
Your interpretation seems to be correct. I think the rules mean to say that the ETV must pass the can by going to the left of the can, but I understand why some people might think it is referring to the can as on the left.

Here's a link to a reply and diagram made by a user earlier this season.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

goodcheer
Division: B
State: KY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by goodcheer » March 23rd, 2015, 6:15 am

Just want to sound out a warning about the 8 minutes given to complete 2 runs. At our recent competition, the impound area and the track area were side by side. So, the event supervisor allowed competitors the choice of preparing for the run in the impound area or on the track. If you have to attach and adjust your falling mass, attach the egg and carry the device to the track, it can take much of the 8 minutes. Also, our student was by himself, as his partner was in another event at the same time, so he had to make another trip to the impound area. Perhaps it would have been better if he prepared for the runs on the track to save time. Another unfortunate fact is he was the first to compete, so others after him saw how the 8 minute limit was imposed, but he did not get the benefit of seeing someone else run out of time. We appealed the decision saying the 8 minutes was the time allowed to complete 2 runs and should have started when the device was on the track, but that was rejected. Good luck, just be aware of the time limit and do whatever you can to save yourself enough time.

InfiniCuber
Division: C
State: IN

Post by InfiniCuber » March 23rd, 2015, 2:17 pm

goodcheer wrote:Just want to sound out a warning about the 8 minutes given to complete 2 runs. At our recent competition, the impound area and the track area were side by side. So, the event supervisor allowed competitors the choice of preparing for the run in the impound area or on the track. If you have to attach and adjust your falling mass, attach the egg and carry the device to the track, it can take much of the 8 minutes. Also, our student was by himself, as his partner was in another event at the same time, so he had to make another trip to the impound area. Perhaps it would have been better if he prepared for the runs on the track to save time. Another unfortunate fact is he was the first to compete, so others after him saw how the 8 minute limit was imposed, but he did not get the benefit of seeing someone else run out of time. We appealed the decision saying the 8 minutes was the time allowed to complete 2 runs and should have started when the device was on the track, but that was rejected. Good luck, just be aware of the time limit and do whatever you can to save yourself enough time.
I've ran out of time before from lack of practice, and also because our launcher would not launch at one point. Only got one run in. The 8 minutes may seem like a long time, but it really isn't all that much.
I recommend practicing competition-like runs of 8 minutes before competition. This really helped cute down our time!
Scioly isn't a club, or an organization. It is a lifestyle.
~Munster High School Science Olympiad Captain 2016~

Stingray355
State: MO

Post by Stingray355 » March 24th, 2015, 2:59 pm

Yes 8 minutes leaves little time to deal with any surprises. Practice and a checklist can help you hit all the steps.
We had our Regional Saturday only two vehicles that I saw anyway, attempted to make the curve. I assume many of the Regionals have been held by now .Is anyone seeing a large showing of vehicles attempting to run for the bonus or are most running straight?

Chris_L
State: CA

Post by Chris_L » March 25th, 2015, 8:46 pm

I've seen a few vehicles make the bonus at each competition I've competed at but I feel like the bonus is the way to go at state.
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." -Bruce Lee

When asked what his IQ was, Stephen Hawking said "I have no idea. People who boast about their IQ are losers"

JonB
Coach
Coach
State: FL

Post by JonB » March 26th, 2015, 4:34 am

Stingray355 wrote:Yes 8 minutes leaves little time to deal with any surprises. Practice and a checklist can help you hit all the steps.
We had our Regional Saturday only two vehicles that I saw anyway, attempted to make the curve. I assume many of the Regionals have been held by now .Is anyone seeing a large showing of vehicles attempting to run for the bonus or are most running straight?

It is really going to depend on the state. We ran straight at regionals and then did the bonus at states. I think only 2 teams at states successfully got the bonus here whereas in some states there will probably be 10 teams who get the bonus.

InfiniCuber
State: IN

Post by InfiniCuber » March 28th, 2015, 6:58 am

JonB wrote:
Stingray355 wrote:Yes 8 minutes leaves little time to deal with any surprises. Practice and a checklist can help you hit all the steps.

It is really going to depend on the state. We ran straight at regionals and then did the bonus at states. I think only 2 teams at states successfully got the bonus here whereas in some states there will probably be 10 teams who get the bonus.
Quite a few teams got the bonus at my state, and very few at my regional. It fluctuates, same at invitationals, it was different every time. I would say its a safe bet you need it to place and DEFINITELY to win.
Scioly isn't a club, or an organization. It is a lifestyle.
~Munster High School Science Olympiad Captain 2016~

penclspinner

Post by penclspinner » April 11th, 2015, 5:46 pm

Chris_L wrote:I've seen a few vehicles make the bonus at each competition I've competed at but I feel like the bonus is the way to go at state.
Yea I thought so too, at the Kansas State Competition, less than 5 teams attempted the bonus.
Only 1 team managed to successfully thread the needle but they veered outside the side lane.

In the end, NOT going for the bonus was the safer course of action to placing well.

gladiolatrue

Post by gladiolatrue » April 14th, 2015, 1:48 pm

Because the rules (5d) say it's supposed to pass to the left of the can.

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Post by bernard » April 21st, 2015, 2:42 pm

penclspinner wrote:
Chris_L wrote:I've seen a few vehicles make the bonus at each competition I've competed at but I feel like the bonus is the way to go at state.
Yea I thought so too, at the Kansas State Competition, less than 5 teams attempted the bonus.
Only 1 team managed to successfully thread the needle but they veered outside the side lane.

In the end, NOT going for the bonus was the safer course of action to placing well.
Same for the Washington State Tournament - a couple teams attempted the bonus but one broke the egg on the can and the other left the right boundary after passing the can. I'm not sure how ours would have done since it stopped working at the competition, but here's two videos: launcher and terminal barrier.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

Return to “2015 Build Events”