Scrambler C

someusername
Division: Grad
State: NE
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scrambler C

Post by someusername »

iwonder wrote:Definitely with the same skidding at something like 12m, it's a track issue. Skidding sideways is something I saw a lot before I switched to softer wheels (for a few seasons, actually) that got rid of the skid.

I'm a bit curious about the axle.. are the threads only on the corners then or do you mean square threads?
I'm using vex robotics rubber wheels, so the actual axle is square, so when threaded the nut only really uses the threads in the corner of the square because that's where the threads are the deepest
simplicity is key...sometimes
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA

Post by fishman100 »

Similar issue; our wheels skid upon launch (run time is about 2.00s) if the wheels/track are even slightly dirty. Be sure to thoroughly clean the wheels/track; we change the pad on our swiffer after every 2 runs or so to ensure the track stays clean every time we sweep it.
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

fishman100 wrote:Similar issue; our wheels skid upon launch (run time is about 2.00s) if the wheels/track are even slightly dirty. Be sure to thoroughly clean the wheels/track; we change the pad on our swiffer after every 2 runs or so to ensure the track stays clean every time we sweep it.
Our solution for that was to add a track in the launcher that guided the vehicle for the first bit of acceleration, the wheels would still skid but it would at least stay straight. Because of the soft rubber and cleaning the wheels (by the way, the isopropyl evaporates and leaves a much drier surface than possible with water) we didn't have major issues with skidding, even at <1.3 second run times.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
InfiniCuber
Division: C
State: IN

Post by InfiniCuber »

iwonder wrote:Our solution for that was to add a track in the launcher that guided the vehicle for the first bit of acceleration, the wheels would still skid but it would at least stay straight. Because of the soft rubber and cleaning the wheels (by the way, the isopropyl evaporates and leaves a much drier surface than possible with water) we didn't have major issues with skidding, even at <1.3 second run times.
Little skidding issues with <1.3 seconds?? We have a car that goes 1.6-1.8 and we have skidding issues...
Scioly isn't a club, or an organization. It is a lifestyle.
~Munster High School Science Olympiad Captain 2016~
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

InfiniCuber wrote:
iwonder wrote:Our solution for that was to add a track in the launcher that guided the vehicle for the first bit of acceleration, the wheels would still skid but it would at least stay straight. Because of the soft rubber and cleaning the wheels (by the way, the isopropyl evaporates and leaves a much drier surface than possible with water) we didn't have major issues with skidding, even at <1.3 second run times.
Little skidding issues with <1.3 seconds?? We have a car that goes 1.6-1.8 and we have skidding issues...
Ours weighed ~550g(maybe 450? It's been a year since I weighed it) with an egg, and the vast majority of the weight is directly over the braking axle so the front wheels have a ton of traction. Plus they're the softest, smallest ones we could find. We did have issues with the back end skidding out when it accelerated, but we fixed that with a rail on the launcher that held it in line until the string released. We cleaned everything for every run.
InfiniCuber

Post by InfiniCuber »

iwonder wrote:
InfiniCuber wrote:
Ours weighed ~550g(maybe 450? It's been a year since I weighed it) with an egg, and the vast majority of the weight is directly over the braking axle so the front wheels have a ton of traction. Plus they're the softest, smallest ones we could find. We did have issues with the back end skidding out when it accelerated, but we fixed that with a rail on the launcher that held it in line until the string released. We cleaned everything for every run.
Hmm, makes sense. My car also has the great majority of weight over the brake, and the softest wheels, but i believe it is a bit lighter than yours, maybe 250 to 300 grams? I clean the wheels every run also. I'm guessing it is because my car is lighter, not sure.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

InfiniCuber wrote:
iwonder wrote:Ours weighed ~550g(maybe 450? It's been a year since I weighed it) with an egg, and the vast majority of the weight is directly over the braking axle so the front wheels have a ton of traction. Plus they're the softest, smallest ones we could find. We did have issues with the back end skidding out when it accelerated, but we fixed that with a rail on the launcher that held it in line until the string released. We cleaned everything for every run.
Hmm, makes sense. My car also has the great majority of weight over the brake, and the softest wheels, but i believe it is a bit lighter than yours, maybe 250 to 300 grams? I clean the wheels every run also. I'm guessing it is because my car is lighter, not sure.
Lighter might have something to do with it... The suggestion for solving it is generally rubber washers where the nut hits it's end stop, but it's a but late for major changes now :P
InfiniCuber

Post by InfiniCuber »

iwonder wrote:
InfiniCuber wrote: Hmm, makes sense. My car also has the great majority of weight over the brake, and the softest wheels, but i believe it is a bit lighter than yours, maybe 250 to 300 grams? I clean the wheels every run also. I'm guessing it is because my car is lighter, not sure.
Lighter might have something to do with it... The suggestion for solving it is generally rubber washers where the nut hits it's end stop, but it's a but late for major changes now :P
I have a rubber washer :P
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

InfiniCuber wrote:
iwonder wrote:
InfiniCuber wrote: Hmm, makes sense. My car also has the great majority of weight over the brake, and the softest wheels, but i believe it is a bit lighter than yours, maybe 250 to 300 grams? I clean the wheels every run also. I'm guessing it is because my car is lighter, not sure.
I don't know why I assumed you didn't...
InfiniCuber

Post by InfiniCuber »

iwonder wrote:
InfiniCuber wrote:
iwonder wrote: Lighter might have something to do with it... The suggestion for solving it is generally rubber washers where the nut hits it's end stop, but it's a but late for major changes now :P
I don't know why I assumed you didn't...
It's alright, I just have been trying many things to try and fix it, but it isn't much. It is only about 10 ish cm conistently (which is better than the half a meter it was before lol)
We recently got an increase in speed so just wanted to make sure i could handle the skidding.

Return to “2015 Build Events”