Scrambler C

buzzcutboy
Division: C
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scrambler C

Post by buzzcutboy »

What scores do you think we might see at nationals? Last year the top teams were around 2.5 seconds and about 5 cm, and the winning team was 0 cm. I can imagine the bonus would make that more difficult though, both with speed and accuracy
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

buzzcutboy wrote:What scores do you think we might see at nationals? Last year the top teams were around 2.5 seconds and about 5 cm, and the winning team was 0 cm. I can imagine the bonus would make that more difficult though, both with speed and accuracy
I wouldn't be surprised for a team to have <2 seconds and close to 0cm with the bonus this year. From my experience, it's just as hard (if not harder) to get the ETV to travel straight. I've had more consistent runs with the bonus than without, and if you look at the video I posted, my ETV is headed toward the center of our terminal barrier. It definitely will be a lot of testing required though, since there are about five times as many distances possible for nationals as there are for states.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
InfiniCuber
State: IN

Post by InfiniCuber »

bernard wrote:
buzzcutboy wrote:What scores do you think we might see at nationals? Last year the top teams were around 2.5 seconds and about 5 cm, and the winning team was 0 cm. I can imagine the bonus would make that more difficult though, both with speed and accuracy
I wouldn't be surprised for a team to have <2 seconds and close to 0cm with the bonus this year. From my experience, it's just as hard (if not harder) to get the ETV to travel straight. I've had more consistent runs with the bonus than without, and if you look at the video I posted, my ETV is headed toward the center of our terminal barrier. It definitely will be a lot of testing required though, since there are about five times as many distances possible for nationals as there are for states.
I agree. For sure less than two seconds, and for sure with the bonus. I think close to 0 cm WITH a <2 second run is iffy, but definitely less than ten, more likely 5 cm.
Scioly isn't a club, or an organization. It is a lifestyle.
~Munster High School Science Olympiad Captain 2016~
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

InfiniCuber wrote:
bernard wrote:
I agree. For sure less than two seconds, and for sure with the bonus. I think close to 0 cm WITH a <2 second run is iffy, but definitely less than ten, more likely 5 cm.
Maybe one team will have the right about of skid that brings it close enough for 0cm, but it's hard to say. But I'd say a <2 second run with < 5cm would place...
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
InfiniCuber
State: IN

Post by InfiniCuber »

bernard wrote:
InfiniCuber wrote:
bernard wrote: I wouldn't be surprised for a team to have <2 seconds and close to 0cm with the bonus this year. From my experience, it's just as hard (if not harder) to get the ETV to travel straight. I've had more consistent runs with the bonus than without, and if you look at the video I posted, my ETV is headed toward the center of our terminal barrier. It definitely will be a lot of testing required though, since there are about five times as many distances possible for nationals as there are for states.
Maybe one team will have the right about of skid that brings it close enough for 0cm, but it's hard to say. But I'd say a <2 second run with < 5cm would place...
Ya, actually i would think a <2 second run with <5 cm would be top three. My guess is winning to be around there, random exact guess being 1-3 cm. Ya right amount of skid...gosh I hate luck xD
Scioly isn't a club, or an organization. It is a lifestyle.
~Munster High School Science Olympiad Captain 2016~
FlagRunner101

Post by FlagRunner101 »

bernard wrote:
In the video you posted, what type of launcher do you have?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

FlagRunner101 wrote:
bernard wrote:
In the video you posted, what type of launcher do you have?
I used a spring launcher, with Tan Super Sport (from Wright Stuff) for the elastic.
FlagRunner101

Post by FlagRunner101 »

That sounds awesome!! I'm happy that it worked for you :D :D
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

FlagRunner101 wrote:That sounds awesome!! I'm happy that it worked for you :D :D
It didn't work at the competition and broke, but I did have fun during testing while it worked!
someusername
State: NE

Post by someusername »

So I have been having a consistency issue when testing my scrambler. The number of wheel rotations is pretty consistent at every distance except those between 10 and 11, where it seems to take more winds than normal to achieve the desired result and the graph for rotations is not very linear. Would this be caused by the floor being different at that distance or is there an issue with the wheels? I have tested in a different area, but the same pattern still happens where the 10-11 points are the outliers.
simplicity is key...sometimes

Return to “2015 Build Events”