bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Scrambler C

Post by bernard »

someusername wrote:That's a little different than my spring design. We had a very simple one (had a big pulley and a small pulley and used torque to pull back a relatively stiff spring) but we never had time to build and test it. I'm currently using a simple falling mass and string launcher that shoots the car out kind of like a crossbow without elastic (if that makes any sense) and our time is about 2.2s, which isn't terrible
That's a great time! Would you mind sharing what you did to get a fast time with a pulley launcher?

If you're still working on it, I'd say you can do really well by getting close to the terminal barrier, even if another team's time is a second below yours. I could have a really fast ETV, but if it skids and turns or doesn't go towards the center, it is easy to be off by 10 centimeters, the equivalent of 1 second of time.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
someusername
State: NE
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by someusername »

bernard wrote:
someusername wrote:That's a little different than my spring design. We had a very simple one (had a big pulley and a small pulley and used torque to pull back a relatively stiff spring) but we never had time to build and test it. I'm currently using a simple falling mass and string launcher that shoots the car out kind of like a crossbow without elastic (if that makes any sense) and our time is about 2.2s, which isn't terrible
That's a great time! Would you mind sharing what you did to get a fast time with a pulley launcher?

If you're still working on it, I'd say you can do really well by getting close to the terminal barrier, even if another team's time is a second below yours. I could have a really fast ETV, but if it skids and turns or doesn't go towards the center, it is easy to be off by 10 centimeters, the equivalent of 1 second of time.

Ya, that's one issue we face is sometimes it turns when skidding, which is random and we can't figure out how else to control it.

But basically the string is a big loop and it goes up from the weight, over the top where the loop splits and go down to the two front corners, where they wrap around and the loop meets in the back of the launcher at the very center, so it looks and acts kind of like a crossbow (If that made any sense). Also, the string is very taught and it gives it a kind of "flick" coming out of the launcher. The car is fairly light (about 450g) so that helps as well
simplicity is key...sometimes
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

someusername wrote:But basically the string is a big loop and it goes up from the weight, over the top where the loop splits and go down to the two front corners, where they wrap around and the loop meets in the back of the launcher at the very center, so it looks and acts kind of like a crossbow (If that made any sense). Also, the string is very taught and it gives it a kind of "flick" coming out of the launcher. The car is fairly light (about 450g) so that helps as well
I think I understand what you mean. Our launcher is the same thing, with eyebolts at the front two corners that the loop is threaded through.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
mvxesque
Division: C
State: CA

Post by mvxesque »

does anyone know the range of scores for top 5 at nationals?
wjnewhouse
State: MN

Post by wjnewhouse »

mvxesque wrote:does anyone know the range of scores for top 5 at nationals?
Mr. Pratt, the event supervisor, will probably post the distances/times/scores for the top 10 scramblers sometime over the next couple days to this thread (at least that's what he did last year).

I know we took 4th with something like a 2 second/16 cm run.
Alumni of Mounds View HS, MN

Check out the University of Minnesota Gopher Invite for Div B!

Past Events: Air Trajectory (2015 Nats: 2nd), Bungee Drop (2014 Nats: 7th), Circuit Lab, Elastic Launched Glider, Electric Vehicle (2016 Nats: 1st), Geocaching, Remote Sensing, Scrambler (2015 Nats: 4th)
someusername
State: NE

Post by someusername »

wjnewhouse wrote:
Mr. Pratt, the event supervisor, will probably post the distances/times/scores for the top 10 scramblers sometime over the next couple days to this thread (at least that's what he did last year).

I'm assuming you guys went for the bonus?
simplicity is key...sometimes
wjnewhouse
State: MN

Post by wjnewhouse »

someusername wrote:
wjnewhouse wrote:

I'm assuming you guys went for the bonus?
Yup
Alumni of Mounds View HS, MN

Check out the University of Minnesota Gopher Invite for Div B!

Past Events: Air Trajectory (2015 Nats: 2nd), Bungee Drop (2014 Nats: 7th), Circuit Lab, Elastic Launched Glider, Electric Vehicle (2016 Nats: 1st), Geocaching, Remote Sensing, Scrambler (2015 Nats: 4th)
chinesesushi

Post by chinesesushi »

8th was time > 3 s and distance < 10 cm
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
mvxesque

Post by mvxesque »

chinesesushi wrote:8th was time > 3 s and distance < 10 cm
did you guys go for the bonus?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

mvxesque wrote:
chinesesushi wrote:8th was time > 3 s and distance < 10 cm
did you guys go for the bonus?
Yes, they did.

Return to “2015 Build Events”