Bottle Rocket B

gmui
Division: B
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bottle Rocket B

Post by gmui »

Was wondering what kind of times people are getting with their rockets so far. Regionals in NY are next week but it's been too cold to do any testing. We might be going in blind or at least with very little testing so I was just wondering what to expect...
builder335

Post by builder335 »

how do i get my rocket to fly higher. It has about 12 seconds now. I want to increase my time
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

builder335 wrote:how do i get my rocket to fly higher. It has about 12 seconds now. I want to increase my time
To start with, read the wiki, it has lots of good ideas: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Bottle_Rocket

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Haroun

Post by Haroun »

My backslider bottle rocket does not go very high. What is the best way to get the rocket to go higher? Why would a rocket not go high enough?
NASA123
State: NJ

Post by NASA123 »

Haroun wrote:My backslider bottle rocket does not go very high. What is the best way to get the rocket to go higher? Why would a rocket not go high enough?
Can you give us some more information about your rocket? What are the dimensions? Weight? Materials? Flight patterns? Right off the bat, I would recommend using a 2-liter bottle to get higher. It takes more air to pump a 2-liter bottle to 60 psi compared to a smaller bottle, which provides much more force at launch. Make sure all of your joints are tight (no loose/ wiggly pieces) and use firm materials that won't bend under pressure. Make sure to have the CG (Center of Gravity) slightly ahead of the CP (Center of Pressure). This is just some general info, and if you want more specific help, please give us some more information about your rocket.
joeyjoejoe
Division: C
State: GA

Post by joeyjoejoe »

Haroun wrote:My backslider bottle rocket does not go very high. What is the best way to get the rocket to go higher? Why would a rocket not go high enough?
Does it go straight? If the reason its not going high is because it is flopping around in the air or swerving wildly, then you have a rocket stability problem (see the info on COG, CP and CLA earlier in this thread). Answer the following questions to give me an idea if this is the problem.
1. Balance the rocket on its side on a ruler as best you can. Get a rough measurement where it balances, measured from the bottom.
2. How many fins do you have?
3. How far do the fins stick out of the rocket?
4. Where are the fins mounted relative to the mouth of the bottle (the lower the better)?
5. What is the total length of the rocket?
6 Is there any weight in your nosecone?

If it is launching straight, you may have launcher issue. At 60psi, a stable rocket should reach 80-100 meters. Several things can cause a launcher to malfunction including a launch tube that fits too loose or too tightly with the bottle. Do you have a pressure gauge connected to the launcher? What is your launch pressure?
dragonzord0130
State: CA

Post by dragonzord0130 »

How do you slow the descent of the bottle rocket? Any suggestions?
goodcheer
State: KY

Post by goodcheer »

dragonzord0130 wrote:How do you slow the descent of the bottle rocket? Any suggestions?

If you can get it to come down side ways instead of nose first, that works. A long, light nose and good fins help. If you have that, but it still comes down nose first, try adding weight to the rear end of the rocket until it levels off.
homesciencenerd
State: CO

Post by homesciencenerd »

Around what time would get a medal at most states
juanton out

:ugeek:
sr243
State: WI

Post by sr243 »

My safe guess is 30s but maybe 25s for some. Combined time of course.

Return to “2015 Build Events”