Air Trajectory B/C

flash2705
Division: B
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Post by flash2705 » February 9th, 2015, 6:42 am

i've just got a design where a falling weight (5 kg) drops onto a 2-liter bottle. is that actually going to work or will i need something better? also what's the height of the ceiling that they're required to give us, or is that not listed?
Life is life. Science Olympiad is also life. You signed up for it, deal with it.

InfiniCuber
Division: C
State: IN

Post by InfiniCuber » February 9th, 2015, 7:05 am

bernard wrote:
InfiniCuber wrote:
Type wrote:Has anyone thought of a good triggering device yet? I have thought of one but not sure if it is the best to use. What i have thought is to have 2 rings mounted on the inside of the frame (sorry I dont have it drawn out), have a rod go through the two and clip the rope over the rod with a carabiner. When I pull the rod out, the rope connected to the carabiner would start to fall with the weight. I dont know if you guys understand what I was thinking. Similar idea for connecting the rope to a nail and pulling it out. Let me know if you guys have any better method of a trigger. What are you guys using for the air to travel through to go to the barrel? Also, what are you guys making the frame out of? Im using 16 and 14 Gauge 1.5 x 1.5 Steel Square Tubing.

P.S. ill post pictures once I get a chance.
I have a recommendation that I personally think is better. Use an archery trigger. This simple enough, you have a loop on one end of a string that attaches to your trigger, and the other end attached to your falling mass. Attach a long string to the trigger and bam, a consistent, quick and easy trigger.
I use this http://www.amazon.com/Compound-trigger- ... B00S9KIQO0 for my scrambler launcher. You can get it at D ick's Sporting Goods or any other sporting goods store.
How sensitive is your bow release? I've used this one and its very sensitive (though there is a way to adjust it). I decided not to use it for my Air Trajectory device since I don't trust it not to accidentally drop my mass.
I have used that one also, and that one is very sensitive. The one I linked to is what I stick with, as it isn't very sensitive and isn't very hard. I have never had an accidental drop, as it is very secure and consistent. That is from my experience.
Scioly isn't a club, or an organization. It is a lifestyle.
~Munster High School Science Olympiad Captain 2016~

suzannepero

Post by suzannepero » February 9th, 2015, 12:27 pm

Just wanted to ask a quick question regarding one of the construction parameters. It states that the device air chamber for each launch must start at ambient air pressure and must automatically return to ambient air pressure. This does not mean that the device air chamber must auto fill - we can manually inflate the bottle or ball etc prior to each launch. After it fills, it would automatically return to ambient air pressure. Just wanted to make sure that I was reading the rule correctly. Much thanks!

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard » February 9th, 2015, 12:31 pm

suzannepero wrote:Just wanted to ask a quick question regarding one of the construction parameters. It states that the device air chamber for each launch must start at ambient air pressure and must automatically return to ambient air pressure. This does not mean that the device air chamber must auto fill - we can manually inflate the bottle or ball etc prior to each launch. After it fills, it would automatically return to ambient air pressure. Just wanted to make sure that I was reading the rule correctly. Much thanks!
I don't understand what you are asking. If you could describe your idea with the objects you are using, I think I might understand it better.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."

sydawong2001

Post by sydawong2001 » February 9th, 2015, 3:12 pm

Do the event supervisors choose what target the competitors are aiming for?

chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker » February 9th, 2015, 3:52 pm

sydawong2001 wrote:Do the event supervisors choose what target the competitors are aiming for?
No. You have 2 shots at each target. The supervisors do set the distances of the targets

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Chris_L
State: CA

Post by Chris_L » February 9th, 2015, 9:22 pm

So somehow I got minus points at my last invitational for my graphs. I thought that event supervisors were grading on completion rather than on content? I thought it didn't matter how many data points were used but instead that there were 4 graphs with corresponding tables. I had 7 data points per table which I thought was more than enough
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." -Bruce Lee

When asked what his IQ was, Stephen Hawking said "I have no idea. People who boast about their IQ are losers"

chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker » February 10th, 2015, 5:09 am

Chris_L wrote:So somehow I got minus points at my last invitational for my graphs. I thought that event supervisors were grading on completion rather than on content? I thought it didn't matter how many data points were used but instead that there were 4 graphs with corresponding tables. I had 7 data points per table which I thought was more than enough
What do you mean you got 'minus points'? You somehow got a negative score for the graphs that was subtracted from your overall score? How do you know this?

Also, did you have 7 different data points per graph, or did you just repeat the same 7 data points 4 times over?

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Type
Division: B
State: MI

Post by Type » February 10th, 2015, 12:18 pm

I was looking at a team that had a triggering device similar to the Official video released. I knew I was not going to do that but one thing from the video that i realized was their method of adjusting distance. They raised or lowered the weight using the rope to a certain line marked, and then released. Since your suppose to have a triggering device separate from supporting the weight, I was wondering if you could switch out ropes and weights in between shots?

Chris_L
State: CA

Post by Chris_L » February 11th, 2015, 2:31 am

Minus points as in 14/20 for two of the three categories, and at this invite they give me back the score sheet...
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer." -Bruce Lee

When asked what his IQ was, Stephen Hawking said "I have no idea. People who boast about their IQ are losers"

Return to “2015 Build Events”