windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Post by windu34 »

bernard wrote:
nxtscholar wrote:3. I graduated scioly. But...if i had to guess (sorry Bernard), I'd just expect raised/elevated targets.
Elevated targets is difficult for event supervisors to set up so it probably isn't the change for next year. ;)
And I think elevated targets aren't fair to teams that hit the ground outside the elevated target.
I agree. Are there any problems with the vertical targets that were discussed that would make them unlikely? Has anyone had success launching tennis / racquetballs without using a swinging arm (air and pvc)?
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
nxtscholar
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by nxtscholar »

I don't think it's any harder than setup for scrambler. :P

You could just get any cardboard box and add a tray of sand on top in worst case scenario. One could argue that it's possible to have varying heights across tournaments and that wouldn't be "fair". But the whole point of this event is to understand your device and trajectory motion - so varying heights is no more unfair than varying ranges. So as long as you know the height above ground and distance from machine, you should be fine in theory because by then, you're supposed to have tested and fixed your machine to reliable state after practicing AND actually record data to use.

I mean, the only other change that's in the books would be changing the design specifications i.e. maximum dimensions or maximum mass.

Oh, an interesting idea would be to perhaps add a vertical obstacle a short distance away in front of the target. That would truly encourage competitors to understand trajectory motion.
hddavis7
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by hddavis7 »

as stated in the rules it says that a weight has to be converted into either air pressure or movement does that mean that we can pressurize a tube by the falling weight then activate a valve to release pressure?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

hddavis7 wrote:as stated in the rules it says that a weight has to be converted into either air pressure or movement does that mean that we can pressurize a tube by the falling weight then activate a valve to release pressure?
For the 2015 rules, the approach you describe seems to be legal, assuming the valve is automatically activated without requiring any extra triggering by the competitors. Be advised that any opinions reflected in this topic are not official and may not reflect the 2016 event, as official rules are not available to teams yet.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs

Return to “2015 Build Events”