Air Trajectory B/C

Sidaddybombdaddy7
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Post by Sidaddybombdaddy7 »

can you use rubber bands to power your catapult and, how does 5 kg apply in the event??
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Sidaddybombdaddy7 wrote:can you use rubber bands to power your catapult and, how does 5 kg apply in the event??
I don't see any rule that prohibits the rules of rubber bands. However, by rule 3.a., rubber bands, if used, must either start and end with the same amount of energy (i.e. not contribute to the launching force) or be stretched by the energy provided by the falling mass.

If you are in Division B, your falling mass can be up to 5.000 kg. The falling mass includes any part of your device whose potential energy decreases and contributes to the launching force.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
zarnold16
Division: C
State: MI

Post by zarnold16 »

Am I able to use multiple different barrels and have them interchangable? Like have a barrel attachment that fits better with a ping pong ball rather than a tennis ball.
Sidaddybombdaddy7

Post by Sidaddybombdaddy7 »

bernard wrote:
Sidaddybombdaddy7 wrote:can you use rubber bands to power your catapult and, how does 5 kg apply in the event??
I don't see any rule that prohibits the rules of rubber bands. However, by rule 3.a., rubber bands, if used, must either start and end with the same amount of energy (i.e. not contribute to the launching force) or be stretched by the energy provided by the falling mass.

If you are in Division B, your falling mass can be up to 5.000 kg. The falling mass includes any part of your device whose potential energy decreases and contributes to the launching force.

Do you have a good picture of what this looks like?
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

zarnold16 wrote:Am I able to use multiple different barrels and have them interchangable? Like have a barrel attachment that fits better with a ping pong ball rather than a tennis ball.
You might want to review General Rule #1: http://soinc.org/ethics_rules

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
chalker

Post by chalker »

Sidaddybombdaddy7 wrote:
bernard wrote:

Do you have a good picture of what this looks like?
Check here: http://www.sciencenc.com/event-help/airtrajectory.php

Student Alumni
SO Dad

Post by SO Dad »

You all are pretty deep into design here, but I have a few questions as I am starting out with my 8th grade team on this.

1)I see for division B, it is .8M by 1M by 1M. Is the .8 meters the length (from back to front), the width (from side to side) or the height. I wanted to be sure before the students build it out
2)I see the weigh of the mass cannot exceed 5 KG for division B. If the unit is built in the "falling lever" configuration, can I assume that the way the mass would be determined would be any weights on the lever and then the lever lowered down onto a scale to determine the combined weight of the lever and the added weights?
3)As the students trigger the falling mass from a meter away, does it need to be locked in with a pin, or can simply be holding it on a string?
4)Can I assume that 2 devices need to be built, one for JV and one for Varsity?

Thanks.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

SO Dad wrote: 4)Can I assume that 2 devices need to be built, one for JV and one for Varsity?
This one is yes (I'm pretty sure Air Trajectory impounds, if not, I don't know)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Nathan Ault

Post by Nathan Ault »

UQOnyx wrote:I just got the rules for Air Trajectory (yay!). I just wanted to make sure I understood the rules correctly (Not a clarification, just want to make sure I understand). Construuction rules state that the allowable energy to power launch equals the falling force of 5000 Kg... This means gravity right? Meaning the real force would be 5000 Kg multiplied by the force of gravity, right?
Bro. First of all, it isn't 5,000 kg: it's 5 kg for B and 3.5 for C :lol: . The force is equal to the mass times the acceleration due to gravity, W=mg. So, you're sort of right, but mass isn't a force and "g" is the acceleration due to gravity, not a force itself.
chalker

Post by chalker »

SO Dad wrote:You all are pretty deep into design here, but I have a few questions as I am starting out with my 8th grade team on this.

1)I see for division B, it is .8M by 1M by 1M. Is the .8 meters the length (from back to front), the width (from side to side) or the height. I wanted to be sure before the students build it out
2)I see the weigh of the mass cannot exceed 5 KG for division B. If the unit is built in the "falling lever" configuration, can I assume that the way the mass would be determined would be any weights on the lever and then the lever lowered down onto a scale to determine the combined weight of the lever and the added weights?
3)As the students trigger the falling mass from a meter away, does it need to be locked in with a pin, or can simply be holding it on a string?
4)Can I assume that 2 devices need to be built, one for JV and one for Varsity?

Thanks.
As usual, this is not the place for official clarifications or comments (visit soinc.org for that). That said:

1. General rule #1 typically applies here: http://soinc.org/ethics_rules
2. Rule 3.a. pretty clearly addresses the mass
3. General rule #1 again
4. General rule #4

Student Alumni

Return to “2015 Build Events”