bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Post by bernard »

zyzzyva980 wrote:I would think the elevated near target would come back, unless they took it out because event supervisors had trouble setting it up. There might be a change to the device rules so the teams don't just use the same device again next year. Looking forward to seeing what changes.
Probably not going to be elevated targets unless they have found a way around the issues with setting it up: http://scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php? ... 95#p271917.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

For those planning on doing Air Trajectory next year, do you plan on changing anything from this year such as:
Design
Portability
Ease of Use
Mobility
If so, elaborate?
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

I was going through the trajectory wiki and found mention of a centrifugal force powered trajectory. Do you guys think I would be able to generate enough force to launch a tennis ball the required distance with a design like this?
sciolylover13
Division: B
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by sciolylover13 »

windu34 wrote:I was going through the trajectory wiki and found mention of a centrifugal force powered trajectory. Do you guys think I would be able to generate enough force to launch a tennis ball the required distance with a design like this?
If a tennis ball does not work you could always use a ping pong ball.
2015-2016 events:Chattahoochee/Dodgen/Regionals/State/Nats?
Anatomy and Physiology: 4/////
Green Generation: 6/////
Air Trajectory: NA/////
Crime Busters: 2/////
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

sciolylover13 wrote:
windu34 wrote:I was going through the trajectory wiki and found mention of a centrifugal force powered trajectory. Do you guys think I would be able to generate enough force to launch a tennis ball the required distance with a design like this?
im trying to get away from ping pong balls and golf balls cause they are too light and will curve at the slightest air movement
I guess the real question here is: wil it be accurate and percise to the cm?
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

Is anyone anticipating a change to type of projectiles or distances (increasing distance of targets)?
sciolylover13
Division: B
State: AL

Post by sciolylover13 »

windu34 wrote:
sciolylover13 wrote:
im trying to get away from ping pong balls and golf balls cause they are too light and will curve at the slightest air movement
I guess the real question here is: wil it be accurate and percise to the cm?
They might, but I have never experienced this problem (in competition or practice). However, maybe your conditions at competition and practice are different. As for being accurate and precise to the cm, it really depends on your understanding and analysis of your device, and of course the making of the device itself, the ball should not make a too much of a difference.
2015-2016 events:Chattahoochee/Dodgen/Regionals/State/Nats?
Anatomy and Physiology: 4/////
Green Generation: 6/////
Air Trajectory: NA/////
Crime Busters: 2/////
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

They might, but I have never experienced this problem (in competition or practice). However, maybe your conditions at competition and practice are different. As for being accurate and precise to the cm, it really depends on your understanding and analysis of your device, and of course the making of the device itself, the ball should not make a too much of a difference.[/quote]
Yours dont curve??? Would you care to describe your device?
nxtscholar
State: NJ

Post by nxtscholar »

Sorry, I agree and differ to previous comments.
1. Actually, technically, the path a ball makes is parabolic along the the plane perpendicular to the floor...so it is moving in a curved motion naturally xD I'll assume you meant in the plane parallel to the floor. The ball shouldn't curve if you make your device right. This applies to any ball.

2. As for the ball not making too much of a difference, I disagree. It's Newton's second law. f=ma. The more mass an object has, the more force required to accelerate and change it's velocity. This is why a bowling ball will generally move in a straight path down a ramp and onwards while...a tennis ball might not. So how does this apply to air trajectory? Obviously, tennis balls and racquetballs will be less influenced by internal air conditions and will be more consistent.

My personal experiences show that ping pong balls can be fairly reliable and darn accurate within the first 6-8 m. But beyond that? It's more and more inconsistent.

3. I graduated scioly. But...if i had to guess (sorry Bernard), I'd just expect raised/elevated targets.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

nxtscholar wrote:3. I graduated scioly. But...if i had to guess (sorry Bernard), I'd just expect raised/elevated targets.
Elevated targets is difficult for event supervisors to set up so it probably isn't the change for next year. ;)
And I think elevated targets aren't fair to teams that hit the ground outside the elevated target.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs

Return to “2015 Build Events”