Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: FL

Re: Air Trajectory B/C

Post by JonB »

sjwon3789 wrote:
Friedoyster3 wrote:
buzzcutboy wrote:Any Idea what scores might go top 10, medal (top 6), and win nationals?
I would imagine to secure a spot in the top 6, a team might need to get under 5cm on both targets and be able to hit two buckets for 400 points.

Have you seen what design the top teams have been using?

They use a falling mass to move air which then moves the ball...

No, on a serious note I think many of the designs are pretty similar if using a falling mass to create air pressure. We are using a design that actually creates a vacuum, but it is very.... finicky.
Friedoyster3
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Friedoyster3 »

sjwon3789 wrote:
Friedoyster3 wrote:
buzzcutboy wrote:Any Idea what scores might go top 10, medal (top 6), and win nationals?
I would imagine to secure a spot in the top 6, a team might need to get under 5cm on both targets and be able to hit two buckets for 400 points.

Have you seen what design the top teams have been using?
I have, but I'm not really too keen on describing them (beyond what JonB already has) this publicly against the will of the teams who's devices that I would be describing (including my own).
I will say that JonB is pretty much right on with that description, specifics aside.
University of Michigan Aerospace Engineering
Munster High School, Indiana
2015 Nationals: Bridge 12th; Air Traj 7th; Scrambler 6th; Geo Maps 5th; Team 6th!
"Science Olympiad is, was, and always will be one of the greatest things that ever happened to me."
Sidvin

Post by Sidvin »

Hey everyone,

I'm goin to state tm, but just realized that my height is .6 inch greater than its supposed to be
Do you think they will give a penalty for a small height difference...if so how much of a deduction?

Thx
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Sidvin wrote:Hey everyone,

I'm goin to state tm, but just realized that my height is .6 inch greater than its supposed to be
Do you think they will give a penalty for a small height difference...if so how much of a deduction?

Thx
By rule 6.d., a construction violation would place you behind all teams without construction violations. They will notice that your device is too tall and you'll be tiered so I highly advise that you find a solution to it. I hope I can help since I can imagine how frustrating it must be.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
RBears6
State: TX

Post by RBears6 »

I have a question regarding the running of Air Traj at my state competition this past weekend.

For the bucket shot, the proctors measured the distance that the ball landed away from the center of the bucket. From reading the rules, I thought that for a bucket shot, you could only get points by hitting or going in. I do not think the proctors added the distance away from the bucket to the final score, but it kinda threw me off that the proctors did this. Any thoughts?
#SpartanUp

2014-2015 events-
Experimental Design
Air Trajectory
GeoLogic Mapping
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

RBears6 wrote:I have a question regarding the running of Air Traj at my state competition this past weekend.

For the bucket shot, the proctors measured the distance that the ball landed away from the center of the bucket. From reading the rules, I thought that for a bucket shot, you could only get points by hitting or going in. I do not think the proctors added the distance away from the bucket to the final score, but it kinda threw me off that the proctors did this. Any thoughts?
You are correct, the bucket is a yes/no thing for the extra 100 or 200 points. They shouldn't have been measuring anything since the tiebreakers state that teams attempting a bucket shot will lose ties to teams not attempting them since teams attempting bucket shots might not have 3rd or 4th distance measurements.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
vcubed1234

Post by vcubed1234 »

On my device, after I re-inflate the pump, it immediately starts to deflate from around the ball. I cannot make the tube more airtight or else the ball will fail to launch at all. Could I possibly use a spring to keep the pump up or something?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

vcubed1234 wrote:On my device, after I re-inflate the pump, it immediately starts to deflate from around the ball. I cannot make the tube more airtight or else the ball will fail to launch at all. Could I possibly use a spring to keep the pump up or something?
Is the pump you are talking about a bike pump? I'm not understanding your setup...
vcubed1234

Post by vcubed1234 »

I am using a foot pump that is attached to the tube with a hose. This is the pump I used: http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Giant-Bello ... =foot+pump
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

vcubed1234 wrote:I am using a foot pump that is attached to the tube with a hose. This is the pump I used: http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Giant-Bello ... =foot+pump
So the weight of the top of your pump is causing it to compress, and air leaks from around your ball? I suppose a spring could work if you have a way of getting it in there.

Return to “2015 Build Events”