VA
someusername
Division: Grad
State: NE
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scores B/C

Post by someusername »

hi im andrew wrote:I'm getting higher, but the crux of my design needs everything to be perfectly angled and pre-stressed, and i don't know if there will be any serious humidity change between my state and Nebraska, and thank you for your kind words.
I'm not 100% certain what the humidity is like here around that time. I know in the summer, it can be crazy humid (like 90%+) one week and then less than 10% the next week. But as far as mid may goes, it could go one way or the other. I would assume that if you pack it the way you normally do, you should be alright. But if you are really worried about it you could probably go the weather channels website and look it up. If i had to guess I wouldn't think the humidity would be anything worse than what Virginia's is.
simplicity is key...sometimes
sjwon3789
Division: C
State: VA

Post by sjwon3789 »

hi im andrew wrote:I actually don't know the following scores, but I do know that purely from design and joints none of the others could be over 2000.
Suppp I'm from VA. My friends received the following scores:

2nd - 1990
3rd - 1890
6th - 1400 or 1300.

Impressive for getting >3000! I'm glad you guys won instead of us (well I wasn't even chosen for states but my bridge was significantly better than the states...). I was working on a design that scored 2250 but I couldn't properly execute it. Sigh.

GOOD LUCK! REPRESENT VA WELL!
2013 Events: Boomilever, Keep the Heat, WIDI
2014 Events: Boomilever, Geologic Mapping, Mission Possible, Scrambler
2015 Events: Air Trajectory, Bridge Building, Mission Possible
S4BB
Division: B
State: IL

Post by S4BB »

Back from Illinois State Tournament, and the team had their best score of the season, 3628, and it was good enough for 2nd place. Bridge was 4.1g, nothing left but the Bridge Burning Party.
19sawickin
State: PA

Post by 19sawickin »

hi im andrew wrote:I'm getting higher, but the crux of my design needs everything to be perfectly angled and pre-stressed, and i don't know if there will be any serious humidity change between my state and Nebraska, and thank you for your kind words.
I'm kind of new to Bridges and was wondering if CA glue and balsa combo is the way to go. Also I've seen a team pour very slowly before and their bridge held everything (although it took rather long to watch). Does ones pouring technique influence the efficiency of the bridge at all?
hi im andrew
State: VA

Post by hi im andrew »

I personally like to put rather fast, if you think about it, pouring slow has less initial force on the bridge, bu
t the bridge holds the weight for a longer amount if time.
19sawickin

Post by 19sawickin »

hi im andrew wrote:I personally like to put rather fast, if you think about it, pouring slow has less initial force on the bridge, bu
Ok. I have poured at pretty much a constant medium speed for most of the season but there is a member on my team that starts out very slowly and progressively builds up until he is pouring at full speed. I just thought that it seems logical to either pour extremely fast or extremely slowly.
JonB
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: FL

Post by JonB »

19sawickin wrote:
hi im andrew wrote:I personally like to put rather fast, if you think about it, pouring slow has less initial force on the bridge, bu
Ok. I have poured at pretty much a constant medium speed for most of the season but there is a member on my team that starts out very slowly and progressively builds up until he is pouring at full speed. I just thought that it seems logical to either pour extremely fast or extremely slowly.
Your team member has it correct. First, load relatively slowly to let the structure "settle" and then load as fast as you can (while keeping the flow smooth) until it breaks or you reach 15kg.
19sawickin

Post by 19sawickin »

JonB wrote:
19sawickin wrote:
Your team member has it correct. First, load relatively slowly to let the structure "settle" and then load as fast as you can (while keeping the flow smooth) until it breaks or you reach 15kg.
Thank you. Its seems to have worked for him so I guess Ill try that
PatrickMcPherson
State: NC

Post by PatrickMcPherson »

I load in the same manner, and it has worked fantastic. I've had to have tested at least 50 structures in that manner, and had no problems. Start slow, then open it up to WFO after you get set! Good luck!

Return to “Bridge Building B/C”