Scores B/C

chinesesushi
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0

Re: Scores B/C

Post by chinesesushi »

retired1 wrote:Can someone post a picture of one or more of the bridges that medaled this year. The strong rumor is that they are going to go to the elevated bridge for 2016, so copying will not be much of a factor.
yeah it probably will be elevated bridge, but why wouldn't copying be a factor? you just put a regular bridge onto 2 stands basically.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

If it wasn't being "copied" now, it would be "copied" down the road when the event cycles back (unless...asteroid impact that Chalker foreshadowed O.O). Sharing info here shouldn't be a matter of copying ideas (heck, I've even heard it being called "people getting arrogant", which I also find ridiculous), it should be a matter of learning. Even putting up the pics can still be a challenge what with the possibility of different density members being used.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

Honestly, a lot of the work that goes into design here isn't just a picture and some braces. You've got densities and construction techniques and all those little details about how you treat your bridge that make a big difference in the score.

Pictures are entirely your choice, but I would highly doubt someone is going to be able to build a 2000+ bridge simply by looking at a picture. And even if they did, just more incentive to improve your stuff and beat them again, right?
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
retired1
State: FL
Been thanked: 0

Post by retired1 »

Answers to comments:
I am in awe of the bridges with such high score. The best we could get was 2500 and we were still making changes. For balsa, we tried everything from 4 # to 12#. We also tried different shapes of wood.
I seriously doubt if you could just put this bridge design on two posts if you look at the height restrictions of the last elevated bridge contest.
That effects the angles which makes it a totally different structure.
Finally, SO will sell a DVD at inflated prices that will have pictures in it, so what is wrong with some proud team posting their bridge in the current time frame?
JonB
Coach
Coach
State: FL

Post by JonB »

4th Place National Bridge (post Nationals)- Boca Raton Community HS. The design had a test efficiency of almost 3000, but we scored 2633 at Nationals.
Attachments
nats bridge.jpg
someusername
State: NE

Post by someusername »

7th place bridge at nationals (Lincoln Southwest High School, NE)

It weighed 5.15 and held 12.65kg for a score of 2456, though our scores were usually around 2600-2700 with the design

IMG_1133 (800x600).jpg
simplicity is key...sometimes
sjwon3789
State: VA

Post by sjwon3789 »

JonB wrote:4th Place National Bridge (post Nationals)- Boca Raton Community HS. The design had a test efficiency of almost 3000, but we scored 2633 at Nationals.
What's your tension? Is that balsa or bass? It looks interesting...
2013 Events: Boomilever, Keep the Heat, WIDI
2014 Events: Boomilever, Geologic Mapping, Mission Possible, Scrambler
2015 Events: Air Trajectory, Bridge Building, Mission Possible
PatrickMcPherson
State: NC

Post by PatrickMcPherson »

someusername wrote:7th place bridge at nationals (Lincoln Southwest High School, NE)

It weighed 5.15 and held 12.65kg for a score of 2456, though our scores were usually around 2600-2700 with the design

IMG_1133 (800x600).jpg
Major kudos, I won my state tournament with a score of 2455.4 (albeit that was the heighest efficiency I've achieved, and it wouldn't have scored that exact number at nationals) It's great to see such beautiful bridges from all of you!
PatrickMcPherson

JonB wrote:4th Place National Bridge (post Nationals)- Boca Raton Community HS. The design had a test efficiency of almost 3000, but we scored 2633 at Nationals.
Your design is the most similar I've seen to mine. I Would guess it's all balsa, and the range of density in your compression and tension members is really cool to see. However, I have never used those long members to connect the tension and compression members together, and I was wondering how significant of a difference they made. Most importantly congratulations on a fourth place finish, you definitely earned it!
PatrickMcPherson

Here are the pictures of my two bridges for the NC state tournament the one pictured on the left would have placed 8th at Nationals with a score of 2455 (6.06g 14.88kg held). The one on the right was constructed before and in what was essentially the exact same manner as the one tested. I used all balsa, the tensile members are 1/64 by a 1/4 inch. The compression members' outside pieces are 3/32 by 3/8 the inner members are 1/8 by 1/8. All of the cross-members are 1/16 by 1/16. They're roughly 15 cm tall, and have an outer edge length of 49 cm, with an inner length of 46 cm. (The horizontal cross members are literally the excess tensile members) If you want to know more just ask, I'll speak on anything I know.
Attachments
image.jpg

Return to “Bridge Building B/C”