Designs B/C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Designs B/C

Post by Jim_R »

Discussion for Bridge designs or construction methods.
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
thsom
Division: C
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Re: Designs B/C

Post by thsom »

Will there be a wiki for bridge building itself? There is one for elevated bridge (the bridge building one redirects there), but it's not very specific IMO. Bridge building is not my forte, my strengths lie greater with towers and boomilever.
embokim
State: NY

Post by embokim »

Well if you think about it a bridge is two boomilevers put together. :ugeek:
Happy to be here
Rath4o1
State: RI

Post by Rath4o1 »

If you were to take a sheet of Bass wood and have it curve into a half pipe like shape with notches cut into the top where the loading block may rest how would that hold up against a typical square bridge?
2nd in Towers 2011 division B (State)
4th in Towers 2012 division C (State)
2nd Bridges 2015
1st in Boomilever 2013 division C (States)
1st In Elastic Launch Gilder 2013 division C (states)
Image ~ Rhode Island
JonB
Coach
Coach
State: FL

Post by JonB »

Rath4o1 wrote:If you were to take a sheet of Bass wood and have it curve into a half pipe like shape with notches cut into the top where the loading block may rest how would that hold up against a typical square bridge?
It would be very heavy if it were a sheet of bass wood.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

Rath4o1 wrote:If you were to take a sheet of Bass wood and have it curve into a half pipe like shape with notches cut into the top where the loading block may rest how would that hold up against a typical square bridge?
Probably not as well as you might think. So, assuming you have the open side facing down, and you brace that with more wood so it doesn't fold open, where your loading block is resting will be a stress concentration on the wood. (All the load from block is concentrated on two small (very, very small actually) surfaces where the notches are cut. In a normal bridge, those members span the length of the structure and they're what's braces from failure so it's no big deal. It a half pipe design, the end of the notch has to somehow spread the load to the entire half-pipe, which doesn't happen very nicely since it's a sharp angle, and causes the wood to tend to break in that point.

(There's actual pictures and better descriptions in the boomilever thread from two years ago, when we talked about tubular boomilevers)

To be honest, you'd have to try it and find out, but that's just kinda my first impression of it.

(Also if anyone wants help on the math or technical data of this kind of event I forgot how much stuff we used to discuss in the 2013 archives :P it's all for boomilever but it's still applicable...)
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
bearasmith
State: MD

Post by bearasmith »

Unfortunately we can't use the upside down arch bridge, because of rules. But how do you think an elliptical arch bridge would do? Or do you think it would be safer just to use the cube bridge?

Thanks,
Bearasmith
Medal Count: 52
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B

Post by dholdgreve »

What say you Bridge Builders? Should the Loading Block sit on top the bridge, bearing on the top chords, or sit in the bridge, bearing on the bottom chords?
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

I say you'll have to try and find out. :P
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
chinesesushi
State: CA

Post by chinesesushi »

dholdgreve wrote:What say you Bridge Builders? Should the Loading Block sit on top the bridge, bearing on the top chords, or sit in the bridge, bearing on the bottom chords?
I say that both have potential and depends on the builder not the design :D Also what iwonder said :D
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.

Return to “Bridge Building B/C”