iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0

Re: Sand Loading Device

Post by iwonder »

I didn't think you were talking about it being badly built, but it does sound like a procedural problem with the loading, I just couldn't picture how a chain would get caught on one like that commercial loader posted, that's all.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
dholdgreve
Coach
Coach
Division: B
Has thanked: 0

Re: Sand Loading Device

Post by dholdgreve »

Keep in mind that this year the time has been reduced from 10 minutes to 8 minutes, and it has been clarified to include set-up time, where in the past it was applied inconsistently as either just the loading part, or the entire set up and loading. This may trigger more teams and event coordinators to lean toward a dispenser, as they can deliver the full payload in under 2 minutes, allowing much more time for proper set-up protocols. We looked at a number of ways to make the sand valve automatically snap shut when the structure failed, but there were just too many unknowns, so we resorted to a supervisor release using an archery release... when the supervisor pulls his string, the release opens, separating the knife valve from the lever, and allows the spring tensioned knife valve to snap shut like a guillotine, shutting off the flow of sand. Not counting labor or sand, I believe our unit cost about $80 in materials to build. Not nearly as pretty as some of the one available commercially, but just as functional.
Dan Holdgreve
Northmont Science Olympiad

Dedicated to the Memory of Len Joeris
"For the betterment of Science"

Return to “Bridge Building B/C”