"no portion may extend below the top surface"

HeatherFeather
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

"no portion may extend below the top surface"

Post by HeatherFeather »

Does ""no portion may extend below the top surface" mean the entire thing can lay on the top surface? If so, the bridge does not need to span 35cm or 45cm, it only needs to span the 20cm hole where the bucket hands through... Are we reading this wrong? :o
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: MI

Re: "no portion may extend below the top surface"

Post by John Richardsim »

The bridge will still have to span the 35/45 cm distance. Essentially, no part of your device may be in or below the hole; all of you device must be on or above the plane of the testing surface. Does that answer your question?
HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather »

I guess what I am asking is what is the difference between the elevated bridge, and what they have this year? What is the "clear span"? Where is the bridge allowed to touch the test base? 3e states "no portion may extend below the top surface of the test supports PRIOR to testing - but it does not say anything about how much it can sag during testing. There is no info -
http://soinc.org/bridge_building_b

Does anyone have a link of a diagram with dimensions of the test base?
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

The bridge must span an opening of 35.0 cm (Div. B) or 45.0 cm (Div. C). The bridge need not be elevated, so it could be flat, if desired.
The test base must have an opening of 20.0 cm by 20.0 cm for the loading block assembly to hang throught. The blocks described in 4. b. i. are used to raise the bridge and are separated by at least 35.0 or 45.0 cm.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
chinesesushi
Division: C
State: CA

Post by chinesesushi »

HeatherFeather wrote:I guess what I am asking is what is the difference between the elevated bridge, and what they have this year? What is the "clear span"? Where is the bridge allowed to touch the test base? 3e states "no portion may extend below the top surface of the test supports PRIOR to testing - but it does not say anything about how much it can sag during testing. There is no info -
http://soinc.org/bridge_building_b

Does anyone have a link of a diagram with dimensions of the test base?
The difference with elevated bridge is that nothing has to go under the bridge, unlike the 15 cm height requirement in 2010 where something 15 cm has to pass under the bridge. Clear span is just lines that indicated intervals of measurement I believe. Bearing zone are lines that are beyond the limit of 35 cm for div b or 45 cm for div c. 4b mentions Test supports, on which the bridge is placed as indicated in 5e. 5j states that if your bridge touches the test base, then it counts as failure. So that's the limit on how much it can sag.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

For the new members to the board, let me throw out a warning. While Scioly is a WONDERFUL site for information on how to do better in Science Olympiad, the one thing it is not is OFFICIAL. While you can get learned OPINIONS on the rules here, the ONLY source of official rules clarifications is the National SO website www.soinc.org. Remember to read all posts with that in mind.

Regards,

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
chinesesushi
State: CA

Post by chinesesushi »

jander14indoor wrote:For the new members to the board, let me throw out a warning. While Scioly is a WONDERFUL site for information on how to do better in Science Olympiad, the one thing it is not is OFFICIAL. While you can get learned OPINIONS on the rules here, the ONLY source of official rules clarifications is the National SO website http://www.soinc.org. Remember to read all posts with that in mind.

Regards,

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Yes yes of course :D. His/her question was more of a "in the rules" question, so I answered it XD.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

No issue with what you said, like I said, good learned comments are found on this site, just wanted to war the original poster who appears to be new to site.
T-B
State: NC

Post by T-B »

Has anyone submitted an official clarification request on this issue? Based on our reading, we think 4(e) -- No portion of the bridge may extend below the top surface of the test supports prior to testing -- means that you must build a through bridge rather than an upside-down deck bridge. Is that what everyone else is thinking?
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

That rule does not need clarification. It plainly states that NO portion can extend below the blocks that it sets on. No means nothing or zero portion of the structure.

Return to “Bridge Building B/C”