The bridge opening?

Hire100
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The bridge opening?

Post by Hire100 »

Hey everyone, I have a serious question about one of the rules for the 2015 bridge building event of Division C. In the manual it's say : the bridge must span an opening of 45cm for Division C. So I was very confused with this because I wasn't sure if it meant the opening where cars would go through to get on the bridge, because if it did that would make a very wide opening(where the cars would go through) Can someone clarify this for me? Thanks!
bearasmith
Division: C
State: MD

Re: The bridge opening?

Post by bearasmith »

The rules want the gap that the bridge sits over to be 45cm. The width, or how many cars would sit side by side on the bridge only has to be <5cm. But we don't have to do the car test this year. :roll:
Medal Count: 52
Halo2552

Post by Halo2552 »

I have another issue/question with the bridge length is it says it must be at least 45cm. My bridge is 45.5cm. Will their rig be able to hold my bridge in a stable way? Will the gap be an absolute 45cm?
Hire100

Post by Hire100 »

bearasmith wrote:The rules want the gap that the bridge sits over to be 45cm. The width, or how many cars would sit side by side on the bridge only has to be <5cm. But we don't have to do the car test this year. :roll:
Bearasmith what I meant was is the platform width. I know the the length(the length of the bridge from one end to the other(where hypothetically a car would enter and exit)) as long as we want. The same goes for the height. But I was confused with the "width"(the size of the gap where a car would hypothetically have to go through to get on the bridge. So if the "width" has to be 45 cm that would make a very wide bridge. So my question is : is the "width" supposed to be 45 cm.
chinesesushi
State: CA

Post by chinesesushi »

Halo2552 wrote:I have another issue/question with the bridge length is it says it must be at least 45cm. My bridge is 45.5cm. Will their rig be able to hold my bridge in a stable way? Will the gap be an absolute 45cm?
It depends on the design of your bridge if it will be stable or not. The gap should be close to an absolute 45 cm +/- maybe 0.1 cm depending on the quality of your competition supervisors ;)
Hire100 wrote:
bearasmith wrote:The rules want the gap that the bridge sits over to be 45cm. The width, or how many cars would sit side by side on the bridge only has to be <5cm. But we don't have to do the car test this year. :roll:
Bearasmith what I meant was is the platform width. I know the the length(the length of the bridge from one end to the other(where hypothetically a car would enter and exit)) as long as we want. The same goes for the height. But I was confused with the "width"(the size of the gap where a car would hypothetically have to go through to get on the bridge. So if the "width" has to be 45 cm that would make a very wide bridge. So my question is : is the "width" supposed to be 45 cm.
It seems like you have not read the rules particularly clearly. Nowhere in the rules do I see the the width has to be 45 cm. The width is supposed to be a minimum of 5 cm. LOL
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
sciencedude1

Post by sciencedude1 »

Bridge Building Division B
According to the rule 4.3 it states " Must have an opening at its center approximately 20.0 by 20.0 cm, for bucket suspension." Does this mean the whole has to be 20 by 20 cm, or can the whole be bigger when you get to the competition?

We want to ensure we are not surprised at the event if the opening is larger then 20 cm, i.e. 35cm!

Thanks for all your help.
chinesesushi
State: CA

Post by chinesesushi »

sciencedude1 wrote:Bridge Building Division B
According to the rule 4.3 it states " Must have an opening at its center approximately 20.0 by 20.0 cm, for bucket suspension." Does this mean the whole has to be 20 by 20 cm, or can the whole be bigger when you get to the competition?

We want to ensure we are not surprised at the event if the opening is larger then 20 cm, i.e. 35cm!

Thanks for all your help.
Your bridge has to be able to cross a gap of 35 cm, as in the test supports will be separated by a distance of 35 cm. Test supports are the blocks on the bridge will rest. The test supports rest on a platform that would have a hole of 20 cm x 20 cm for the bucket to be able to pass through.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
Yatswscwpollwe

Post by Yatswscwpollwe »

It’s really great posts.

Return to “Bridge Building B/C”