Pencil Marks on Bridge

Aces
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Pencil Marks on Bridge

Post by Aces »

Hi, does anyone know from previous year's competition and judge if pencil marks on the bridge is allowed? Technically, pencil marks are neither wood nor glue, while the rule says only wood and glue are allowed. Just wondering if we would need to erase all the pencil marks on the bridge after completing it.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Pencil Marks on Bridge

Post by bernard »

Aces wrote:Hi, does anyone know from previous year's competition and judge if pencil marks on the bridge is allowed? Technically, pencil marks are neither wood nor glue, while the rule says only wood and glue are allowed. Just wondering if we would need to erase all the pencil marks on the bridge after completing it.
In the past, I have marked my boomilevers without any problems with judging. And if I remember correctly, it is not explicitly prohibited by the rules so General Rule #1 applies.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

Pencil marks would be nit picking. Any ES would lose on a challenge as it has zero affect on the bridge.
Be careful on using rule 1 in other cases as it includes intent or spirit of the rule.
S4BB
Division: B
State: IL

Post by S4BB »

I have for years had the students write the weight of each piece of wood on the part, and have never had any comment made, including state tournaments. We infact had to write the school name on the structure when there was impounding in prior years.
bearasmith
Division: C
State: MD

Post by bearasmith »

What about if a piece of wax paper or tape that gets stuck on during the building process. I wouldn't think they would take any points off unless the object helps the breaking point of the bridge.
Medal Count: 52
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

Any paper stuck to the bridge ,especially at a joint would stand a fair chance of being tiered at state and quite probable at national. 400 grit sandpaper can remove the bulk of it without damaging the structure.

That said, use packaging tape rather than paper or wax paper over your template. You can see thru it easier and glue will not soak into it, so the structure will come unstuck a lot easier.
Aces

Post by Aces »

Thank you all for the very helpful responses.

Return to “Bridge Building B/C”