"Outside width of bridge must be at least 5.0 cm at any height along its span"

phammie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

"Outside width of bridge must be at least 5.0 cm at any height along its span"

Post by phammie »

I have read over the rules and saw that the testing block itself is 5 cm so what does "Outside width of bridge must be at least 5.0 cm at any height along its span" mean? If the width were bigger than 5 cm then the block would fall through
chinesesushi
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0

Re: "Outside width of bridge must be at least 5.0 cm at any height along its span"

Post by chinesesushi »

phammie wrote:I have read over the rules and saw that the testing block itself is 5 cm so what does "Outside width of bridge must be at least 5.0 cm at any height along its span" mean? If the width were bigger than 5 cm then the block would fall through
Please read the forums before asking a question that has been asked before, nearly in the exact same form. Bernard has graciously provided us with a fantastic diagram that shows what the rules mean and possible designs that can be used. Also, check the FAQs for Bridge Building on soinc.org
bernard wrote:
UQOnyx wrote:I'm having an extremely confusing problem. I know this place isn't the right place to get clarifications, bla bla, but I think I'm interpreting a rule completely wrong. When i looked at the rule regarding the width of the bridge (3.e), it says that the bridge must be a width of 5 cm OR MORE. However, the loading block's dimensions are 5cm x 5cm (4.c.i). Doesn't that mean that if the width of the bridge is greater than 5 cm, the loading block would fall through the bridge.. Am I wrong?
There are several ways the loading block would not fall through a bridge that is wider than 5.0 cm. I've illustrated some of them below. Feel free to ask questions if any of them are unclear.
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: "Outside width of bridge must be at least 5.0 cm at any height along its span"

Post by bernard »

Attaching the image again :)
Attachments
forum_bridges1.gif
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs

Return to “Bridge Building B/C”