Bridge Building Supplies

drcubbin
Division: B
State: NY

Re: Bridge Building Supplies

Post by drcubbin »

Also, I saw on one of the Launched Glider videos that an "accelerant" is used to dry the CA glue much more quickly. Does anyone know where I can buy that (without having to order and wait since we are in a bit of a rush? I thought they said it is sold at Walmart, but I couldn't find it there.
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

drcubbin wrote:Also, I saw on one of the Launched Glider videos that an "accelerant" is used to dry the CA glue much more quickly. Does anyone know where I can buy that (without having to order and wait since we are in a bit of a rush? I thought they said it is sold at Walmart, but I couldn't find it there.
Most hobby shops will carry it.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
drcubbin
Division: B
State: NY

Post by drcubbin »

Much appreciated. We are pushed for time as we a new, taking two teams into B competition, and only started (technically) last week. Thank goodness I have some really bright young people!
chinesesushi
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0

Post by chinesesushi »

drcubbin wrote:Much appreciated. We are pushed for time as we a new, taking two teams into B competition, and only started (technically) last week. Thank goodness I have some really bright young people!
What types of CA glue are you using? Most CA glue should be able to dry quickly. E.g. I can finish a bridge and have it ready for competition in like 2 days (i'm sorry to say it has come to that at least once).
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.
You should only create problems, that only you know solutions to.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0

Post by iwonder »

chinesesushi wrote:
drcubbin wrote:Much appreciated. We are pushed for time as we a new, taking two teams into B competition, and only started (technically) last week. Thank goodness I have some really bright young people!
What types of CA glue are you using? Most CA glue should be able to dry quickly. E.g. I can finish a bridge and have it ready for competition in like 2 days (i'm sorry to say it has come to that at least once).
Yup, I think we've all been there. You shouldn't need the accelerant if you're using CA glue 'right', just put very very small amounts on the joints and it'll dry in seconds. The accelerator, when I've seen it used, was used on large joints (which is why is comes in a spray) and it took a 15 second drying time and turned it into 3 seconds.

In other words, unless you're building something at the contest and have minutes, it shouldn't make a big deal.

Also, the spray can get those chemicals everywhere on the structure, which weighs it down at best and effects the wood badly at worst, not to mention the fact that it makes for weaker glue joints.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown

Return to “Bridge Building B/C”