Appeals

sr243
Division: C
State: WI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Appeals

Post by sr243 »

How do you send an appeal? I had my state competition on saturday and the scrambler event seemed wrong. The floor was a rubbery carpet which had a lot of friction. They didn't have a form on my website. BTW i'm from wisconsin.
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad

Re: Appeals

Post by andrewwski »

You have to appeal within an hour after the event is over. Long before the end of the competition. You're SOL now.
smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by smartkid222 »

fmtiger124 wrote:
smartkid222 wrote: This is question is unrelated to this thread (Phenylethylamine you can answer this too). How exactly do you make an appeal? Under what conditions would you make an appeal? and what exactly is an appeal?
you can make an appeal under almost any condidtion as long as yuo havn't removed ur car from impound. Just talk to your coaches-or if they saw it, have them go and get an appeal form. For Scrambler we appealed along with Eagle Hill(we lost) because Wellwoods coaches saw it and knew the same thing happend to Eagle Hill so we talked to them and the coaches decided to get a form and appeal.
you have to do it on the day of the competition and your coach fills out the form.
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ
Phenylethylamine
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by Phenylethylamine »

Appeals generally have to be filed some time between when you finish the event and about an hour before the awards ceremony. This is why our coach insists that we tell him how every event went right after we come back from it.

However, if every team competed under the same conditions- even if said conditions are far outside the rules, or give an advantage to certain teams over others for some reason- the appeal is unlikely to be honored, just because of the sheer hassle involved.
Protein Modeling Event Supervisor 2015
MA State Science Olympiad Tournament
MIT Invitational Tournament
--
Ward Melville High School Science Olympiad 2010-2012
Paul J Gelinas JHS Science Olympiad 2007-2009
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

The appeal policy/procedure varies widely from tournament to tournament, so you need to contact the organizers of your tournament for instructions. It can be as permissive as "anything goes' to 'the judge's decision is final', absolutely no appeals allowed. As others have indicated, there is usually a fairly short time period during which appeals may be made concerning events at a tournament.

In your case, it's doubtful an appeal would have produced any results. While the floor surface was not optimum and not what you expected, it was the same for all contestants. The only remedy would be to throw out the entire event. Tournament committees are reluctant to do that unless teams experience significantly differing conditions.

There is a movement to allow appeals only for actions of the judges and to prohibit those concerning another team's actions. You could appeal that a judge didn't apply a rule evenly, but you couldn't appeal that another team's device didn't meet the rule.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
sr243
State: WI

Post by sr243 »

Well, guess what, the appeal i sent didn't work, BUT someone else worked. We received notice of the new results 5 days after the competition. They took out robo-cross which half the teams got dqed. I think they meant 2nd tiered but they took out the event. Now my team is 3rd, 1st time we get a trophy.
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

fleet130 wrote:The appeal policy/procedure varies widely from tournament to tournament, so you need to contact the organizers of your tournament for instructions. It can be as permissive as "anything goes' to 'the judge's decision is final', absolutely no appeals allowed. As others have indicated, there is usually a fairly short time period during which appeals may be made concerning events at a tournament.

In your case, it's doubtful an appeal would have produced any results. While the floor surface was not optimum and not what you expected, it was the same for all contestants. The only remedy would be to throw out the entire event. Tournament committees are reluctant to do that unless teams experience significantly differing conditions.

There is a movement to allow appeals only for actions of the judges and to prohibit those concerning another team's actions. You could appeal that a judge didn't apply a rule evenly, but you couldn't appeal that another team's device didn't meet the rule.
That sounds like it could be fair. If I notice a team that didn't meet the rules, first I'll tell the supervisor. Then they'll be fully aware of it, and they should enforce the rule themselves. If they still don't, then it's time to follow an appeal, and since the supervisor already was informed of the wrongdoing, you could appeal that the rule wasn't applied properly.

I only had one experience with an appeal and it did end fairly. Three out of the top five teams in Wright Stuff last year violated the rule about the non-transparent non-horizontal surface. The supervisor didn't read the rules carefully, and was unaware of the rule. When informed, she said she couldn't do anything because she had already allowed those teams to fly. That made no sense to me, as she still could have second tiered them. So we appealed, and they did not accept it, under the grounds that the supervisor was not aware of the rule prior to the tournament, so thus could not enforce it.

How pathetic. If the event judge can't read the specs, then what is that teaching the students?

Return to “2009 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”