all star teams

Bryant
Division: B

all star teams

Postby Bryant » October 1st, 2008, 4:58 pm

does anyone know if any states have an all star team? i really like this concept, but the committee struck it down.
farewell..S.O.

starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: ME

Re: all star teams

Postby starpug » October 1st, 2008, 5:02 pm

I wish it was true but as far as I know we don't have one here
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY

Postby smartkid222 » October 1st, 2008, 5:56 pm

all star team.... Oh yeah i heard about that before. that's when they take the best people in every event and then make a team of them. Yeah i don't think they exist.
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ

dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CO

Postby dudeincolorado » October 1st, 2008, 8:20 pm

i know SO allows them (but its frowned upon)
but im not sure if they exist....
SO stressed!

dickyjones
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby dickyjones » October 1st, 2008, 8:33 pm

I don't think there have been any teams at nationals in recent years like this.

It would be absolutely insanely difficult for state coordinators to try to organize an all star team fairly. And I doubt any state would be willing to volunteer to be the first trial state in doing this.
VHSSO Veteran!
Events: Ecology, Herpetology, Cell Bio, Entomology, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Chem Lab, Disease Detective, Dynamic Planet, Five Star, EggONaut, Enviro Chemistry, Fermi, Quantum Quandaries!
Nationals: Wichita: Ecology-4, Entomology-5, Team-11; DC: Sounds-1, Team-11

rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby rocketman1555 » October 2nd, 2008, 6:22 am

its a good concept, but i don't think it would work, because it would be hard to organize, and hard to choose who to take to nationals, do you use the first place medalers from each event, with 2nd place being alternates, or do you take one member from the 1st place team, and one from the 2nd, i think it would be a logistical disaster, frowned upon as unfair by other teams at nationals, and wouldn't do well overall

teams get where they are by teamwork, and that is something that an all star team would lack, and it would make science olympiad more self oriented, instead of team oriented, which is how it is supposed to be

they could do a special competition for all star teams, where each state makes an all star team, and then they get to go compete against the all star teams from other states, but there isn't a good time for this to happen, because it would have to happen between the last state competition and nats
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.

eak227
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby eak227 » October 2nd, 2008, 1:07 pm

Not to mention if you really do have an "All-Star team"... you can't just take the gold medalists in every event at state. Odds are that you'll have close to 46 different kids (realistically closer to 35-40). Which is still wayyyy over the allotted 15 of a team. How do you pick which 15 kids are the "All-Stars"? Do you have each kid submit his event results and put them into a formula and whoever has the best average? How do you ensure all the events are covered? It just can't work.

The better idea is allowing the gold medalists from each state in an event to move on and compete at the national competition. But then you'd have a mess at nats. So would you instead have a Team Nationals and an Individual Nationals? None of it would work out, unless someone is willing to give SO a like $10 million donation to fund all this.

Not worth it, in most cases. I do think it's sad that in all likelihood the best kids in the country in every event aren't actually at the national competition, but the best teams most certainly are (the best 60 definitely aren't, but at least the top 5 or 10), and I think that's more important.
Ethan K
Valparaiso, Indiana SO Alumnus
Ben Franklin MS
Valparaiso HS
Harvard University 2012

Nationals: OSU '03, Juniata '04, Wichita State '07, George Washington '08 -- Team place: 22, 18, 11, 11

rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby rocketman1555 » October 2nd, 2008, 5:38 pm

they could try doing something where the gold medalists from each event at state go to compete at a special all-star competition, which is made up of all of these people, so it doesn't have the normal team limit, its just one group for each event from each state
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.

Bryant
Division: B

Postby Bryant » October 5th, 2008, 6:12 pm

The one reason i think it's a good idea is because due to school populations, some school don't have enough enthusiastic people to do SO, so if there was only a few people who really tried, there are no ways for them to go to nationals when competing against bigger schools with bigger funds. (this is the problem with our school: population very little)
farewell..S.O.

gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby gneissisnice » October 6th, 2008, 12:53 pm

I think it would be cool, but like Eak said, a little too hard to do. Now, if we could get the top people from Nats and make an all-star team for International Scio, well, that'd be a different story :D
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

Return to “2009 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”